T-55M (Finland) - Finished

Carius

• 2 weeks later...

That is impressive progress. I like all the extra detailing work you are doing. It really is going to take this project to the next level. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice to see this back again. I absolutely love those fuel cells and piping.

John.

Many thanks John

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is impressive progress. I like all the extra detailing work you are doing. It really is going to take this project to the next level. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi my friend, glad you like it.

Cheers

• Like 1

That's a very busy-looking vehicle now.  I am perhaps surprised that they stuck with the D-10 gun and didn't go down the L7/M68 105mm route, but with T-72's and now Leopards as the "premium" tank I guess they didn't feel it necessary.

The Tamiya kit has a confused engine deck with mixed Russian and Czech elements.  The rearmost grilles are wrong for a Russian-built vehicle, which I presume the Finnish ones are.  I didn't notice anything on your parts list to deal with this, unless it's included in one of the other sets.  Blast Models have a separate deck correction set, BL35255K, if it's not too late for that.  Building aside, good luck with the splinter cam: I just love the Finnish and Swedish cam.

Hi, I'm not a T-55 expert (alias by none tank), but I like to study and research a lot about my projects. I just make an effort to learn.

Russian made T-55 engine deck:

D6UL7Hd.jpg

4I92Fva.jpg

DcNGQsL.jpg

The Polish version...Blast 35255K depic a Polish T-55 engine deck, I think:

W9XcI1u.jpg

QqCIAG2.jpg

5VMRKKt.jpg

So, in my humble opinion the Tamiya's engine deck is correct to depic a Russian/Finland T-55 with minor issues.

Best regards,

Cesar

• Like 3

Apologies.  I have fallen into the "getting it the wrong way round" trap with the rearmost grilles.  Yes, the straight-sided ones are Russian, and the Finnish T-55's were Russian-built.  My apologies again.  Note, however, that the 7 T-55 Marksman ItPsv90 were built on Polish T-55AM hulls acquired later (ex-NVA?) and these had the step-fronted rear grilles.  So any engine deck photo like this in Finnish cam will be a Marksman and not a gun tank.

I believe there was a baseline Finnish T-55 detail update set available many years ago for the old Trumpeter kit, made in Finland by JS Models.  Doesn't seem to be available now.  I know it included corrected front roadwheels with the larger hub that Tamiya missed.  Tamiya is correct for T-55 up to Model 1958, but not later.  Finnish vehicles were delivered in 1960-61 and do have the enlarged front hub fitted: it may have been a retrofit. Tahk (Tank) did a set of these, A-273, now OOP.  You may still be able to pick up a set somewhere.

Finland bought some T-55 turrets separately from Russia for installation as coastal defence batteries, all decommissioned at least 5 years ago.  If I ever get round to doing my SLA APC-55 conversion I'll have a spare turret and I quite fancy making a coastal turret with it.

Edited by Das Abteilung
correction

No problem, I thank your comment, because share ideas is very important to me. I always learn something more.

By the way, the T-55 Marksman is a very interesting tank. I thank your informations about this rare war machine.

Cheers from Brazil

Edited by Carius

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice engineering going on here - stunning attention to detail

Roger

Roger I thank your kind comment.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

The further this build goes, the more in awe of it I am. Your attention to detail is stunning. Keep it up.

John.

Many thanks John, you are very kind too.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Gremlin56 said:

Beautiful work Carius, fuel leads, electrical wiring etc. This will look really great when it gets the paint coat.

Thanks my friend. I hope to do a good painting job.

• Like 1

I see that Takom have announced the marriage of their Chieftain Marksman with their T-55 to make the Finnish ItPsv90 Marksman turret on the T-55 chassis.  Only 7 of these were ever built, the turrets later grafted onto Leopard hulls to make another unique vehicle.  Noting my confusion and correction above about the hull rear grille shapes, it will be interesting to see if Takom get that right.  The ItPsv90 were all converted from 2nd-hand Polish-built hulls, not from the original Russian-built gun tanks, meaning they had the rear right grille with the stepped front and oval access cover.  From the photos above it looks as if there were other minor detail differences including hinges for the forward hatches, so it will mean a new rear deck moulding from Takom to get it right.