T-55M (Finland) - Finished

Carius

Hello folks, this project was stopped in 2014, but now I decided to finish it in honor of my English friend, Mr. Wilson, from London, who always encourages me to go ahead.

According to Steven Zaloga," this is Finnish modernization of the T-55, roughly paralleling T-55AM1 program. It is most easily distinguished by the extensive new turret stowage, gun-tube thermal jacket, 76mm Wegmann smoke grenade launchers on both turret sides and the 71mm Bofors Lyran flare launcher on the right side of the turret. A new Saab Aerotronicks gunner's sight replaces the TPN-1-22-11, incorporating a passive night vision channel and laser rengefinder. This version uses the RMSh tracks" (in, T-54 T-55 T-62 - Concord Publications Company).

The T-55M:

finT-55M_011_zpsb18e6dc1.jpg

finT-55M_2004_001_zps4e4553d2.jpg

fint55opforhn91_zps1733456a.jpg

FinT55c9_zpsc2b2fdb3.jpg

T55-2_zpsbd0b8fd0.jpeg

T-55a25_zps2bb84d29.jpg

T-55pspr12_zpsc0b56f00.jpg

T-551_zps1963472b.jpg

Well, In this project I will use

1. T-55A, Tamiya 35257
2. Finnish T-55 Command conversion set, AEf Designs KT-26
3. T-55 fender fuel tank set, Legend LF1219
4. RMSh tracks , Fruilmodel ATL-11
5. T-72 Drive sprocket, Fruilmodel AW-08 (probably)
6. NSVT machine gun, Miniarm B35060
7. T-55 100mm D-10T barrel, RB Model 35B41
8.T-55 ammo and boxes, Verlinden

THE BEGINING (2014):

SAM_3147_zps7f31eff8.jpg

SAM_3149_zpsd539551b.jpg

SAM_3148_zps125afab7.jpg

SAM_3155_zpsb306a99c.jpg

SAM_3157_zpse6a52f0f.jpg

NEW PROGRESS (2017):

I decided not to use the AEF Designs resin turret in the kit, so I did a transplant of the 71mm Bofors Lyran flare launcher and the Saab Aerotronics gunner sight in Tamiya's turret . I have also fixed the big boxes of the turret.

R6EX5Y2.jpg

p6EWCfg.jpg

KDvLnz7.jpg

uP3N6t0.jpg

yCFo258.jpg

Gzsx7JA.jpg

7KsahDl.jpg

k6HF1NM.jpg

That's all for now...

Edited by Carius
  • Like 16

Looking good so far.  I see you have been using a bunch of putty and all of that sanding without removing detail is a nuisance.

All of those add-ons are going to take a Tamiya to a much higher level.

Looking forward to following along.

Take care,

Lloyd

Hi Carius,

This is going to be interesting as we are going to be doing similar tanks at the same time. I'm just about to make a start on Tamiya's Tiran 5. Yours is looking good so far. I will be a long way behind you though, as my build rate is slow and I'm still doing the M1.

John.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Carius,

This is going to be interesting as we are going to be doing similar tanks at the same time. I'm just about to make a start on Tamiya's Tiran 5. Yours is looking good so far. I will be a long way behind you though, as my build rate is slow and I'm still doing the M1.

John.

Hi John, great, so we can share ideas about our projects because my build rate is slow too.

Cheers

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

This certainly does look like it will be an interesting project to follow. :popcorn:

Nice start. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix my friend, I thank your interest.

Kind regards,

Cesar

• Like 2

The Fins have some superb variations of otherwise very common vehicles . I am always amazed at their adaptations .

This is a great looking version of the T-55 and you are doing a wonderful job so far .

I think I will also watch with interest .

Gentlemen I thank the interest of all of you.

Gremlin the stowages bins have the bottom supported on the turret too.

By the way, talking about modeller's interest in my projects, assemblies, weathering techniques, painting, in other words, in my skills, I'll make videos to show to all of you how I work. :work:

I have personally demonstrated my skills to many people, but now it's time for the videos, I think.

Soon as possible I'll be back to England and HUMBLY I would like to show my skills in person to any of you, if someone wants to see, of course...My honor and pleasure.

Best Regards

Cesar

Edited by Carius
  • Like 5