Hellcat night fighter

Joss

Hi everyone.

Just a quick question regarding the hellcat. I'm currently build the Eduard weekend edition and going for the marking #21 from vfn-90. I pulled this picture;

Here

And was wondering if anybody's got any idea what the discolouration on the wing was?

Any help would be greatfully accepted.

Regards

Joss

Looks to be inline with the guns, so perhaps residue from that, along with some scuffing from maintenance crews. It might more than just colour difference.  If the aircraft in question has some kind of gloss finish, than the flat sheen of the discolouration will be that much more apparent compared to the surrounding cleaner areas.

regards,

Jack.

Cheers jack that's what I was thinking, they are meant to be finished in gloss blue but the fact it's only dirty that on one wing and nowhere else seems odd to me?! It seems the stabilisers have a gloss finish :hmmm:so it could be fading mixed with gun residue.

Many thanks 

Regards

Joss

I had also the same idea as Jack. The ones near the fuselage are from the walk ways to the cockpit and oil tank that is in front of the cockpit?!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Looking at the rather nice picture posted by JackG i would suggest that the discolouration shown is due to running the engine at a lean setting. The lead in the exhaust mixture causes a lighter than expected staining. I do, as usual, stand to be corrected!

DC

• Like 1

Go with a sooty black outside the pattern laid down by the creamy brown-grey. The aircraft uses full rich mixture for take-off and that's when it's at full power and low speed, so blows out the widest pattern of exhaust residue. Then over a period of hours of cruising flight at lean mixture the paler deposits build up in a narrower pattern. In the pic you can actually see the sootier band, about where the sailor's foot is.

• Like 1

I suspect the wing is showing signs of scuffed and worn paint, as this is the access area to the gun bays

F6F-5N_Hellcat_21_of_VFN-90_Bats.jpg

, this is a FAA plane, but not the worn and scuffed paint, but not worn to bare metal, also the exhaust stainng

2527541926_bbc702fb04_o.jpgHellcat by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

this a 1946 shot of a well worn F4U-4, note the paint scuffing and wear to the access area of the forward wing root,  as well as the matting down of gloss sea blue paint, more so than than you hellcat subject, but an idea of the way  GSB fades and weathers and wears.

aa64908b12b68a9ea20d34a17c585422.jpg.2fa

I'm not sure what Grumman used as a base primer,  hopefully Dana bell will see  this and say, or someone else will know.   Vought use zinc chromate by this point i think, and that;s whats under the worn GSB

for exhaust staining,  this shows the creamy- brown-grey colur,well, the result of a lean mixture and lead oxide being deposited 

27f360cbf21e97c92f9af7ee94c7963b.jpg

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
tidying up
  • Like 3

Cheers guys sorry I did not reply sooner did not see this go off... Very helpful information troy, my only query which may sound daft is would the nightfighters faded down to Matt as they where only flown at night or did they get flown in the day as well? 

Cheers WIP I shall give that a go once I've got the last of the stencils on (so many of them!)

Regards

Joss