Low, fast, and loaded.

Right gang, time I made a decision and got cracking, there's plenty options in the stash but I've picked this one;

1486209722.jpg

Did I say one? Well yes, I know this is a double boxing but only one will get built here, the kit is going to need some work due the fit being what would be called a 'sair fecht' or a 'tchuave' in this part of the world. I've got no less than five of these in the stash but picked these two because they came to me from the stash of a former local model club member who passed away a few years back. John had made a start to both kits and so far as I can see almost all parts are still present apart from the pilot figures. No loss there as they are, like many other parts, not well moulded so I've grabbed a pair of the far better ones from the Airfix Lightning kits.

1486209726.jpg

1486209728.jpg

John had added a few extras including the Eduard interior and exterior etched brass sets which I'll make use of along with a replacement decal sheet I had long forgotten about...

1486209732.jpg

...with this option being current favourite

1486209734.jpg

Here's the cockpit tub. Basic and without detail but a starting point.

1486209739.jpg

• Like 15

Aren't TanModel brining out a new 1/48 Bucc?

Good luck with this one, hopefully it will be kind. I've always been a bit too scared to build one of these as their reputation proceeds them!

58 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent choice Col an aircraft that is in dire need of both 1/72and 1/48 new tools from at least Airfix(I know for 2018 but say nowt):winkgrin:

Thanks Steve. If there is a new tool kit of this bird coming from Airfix in the near to middle future I'm sure it'll sell by the shelf-load.

52 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Great choice Col, I will be watching progress with interest. I have an Airfix 1/72 version with some Neomega bits to make (maybe Made in Britain II).

Thanks John. Sounds like a good plan.

40 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Col, I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Thanks Craig. So am I :D 

35 minutes ago, Hewy said:

And the planets align, go on,great stuff

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. That's quite a vote of confidence. From what I've read about this kits and seen from a test fit it'll be Mars, the God of War, that's coming around :lol: 

32 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Aren't TanModel brining out a new 1/48 Bucc?

Good luck with this one, hopefully it will be kind. I've always been a bit too scared to build one of these as their reputation proceeds them!

Yes. Yes they are. So I'll need to get at least one of these done before they do otherwise I'll have another pile of obsolete kits in the stash ;) 

• Like 3

While you're all waiting for something to look at by way of progress on this one here's some things to watch that may allude to the topic title :) 

• Like 8

I have watched that when I was there in Gib with 12 Sqn in Oct 1984, my last detachment before coming out of the RAF a few months later.

That was the time when they put 6 a/c over the deck of the aircraft carrier before the Navy knew what had happed they all did victory-rolls on pulling up from very low runs over the runway on there return.

Paul

• Like 1

Cracking videos. 

I'm debating whether to join this group build as I'm a bit busy at work but if I do then I'll be doing a Buccaneertoo. 

I've already done 3 Airfix Buccaneers and think that they are great kits,  much maligned. 

Goodluck with your build and I may join you. 

Colin 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulT 876 said:

I have watched that when I was there in Gib with 12 Sqn in Oct 1984, my last detachment before coming out of the RAF a few months later.

That was the time when they put 6 a/c over the deck of the aircraft carrier before the Navy knew what had happed they all did victory-rolls on pulling up from very low runs over the runway on there return.

Paul

Now that sounds a damned fine sight to see :D Having green and grey Buccs suddenly appearing low overhead was a common occurence for me as a kid living in a small house well hidden by surrounding trees that was used as a target for Lossiemouth based aircraft. Can also remember knowing Buccs were going to the Gulf over a week before it was announced after watching a pink painted one giving an F-16 a hard time at 90(ish)ft.

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Col. Looks like an interesting project, especially with a relatively basic starting kit. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix. While basic the shapes seem good so at least it's a solid starting point. Let's see where I can take it.

5 hours ago, Colin W said:

Cracking videos. 

I'm debating whether to join this group build as I'm a bit busy at work but if I do then I'll be doing a Buccaneertoo. 

I've already done 3 Airfix Buccaneers and think that they are great kits,  much maligned. 

Goodluck with your build and I may join you. 

Colin 

Thank you Colin. Hopefully I'll also be of the same opinion once this one is finished :)

You'll be most welcome to join in the fun if you do find the free time.

• Like 1

I have been working away on this one, honest, albeit slowly. The cockpit has soaked up a lot of time in research but is starting to take shape now;

1486893395.jpg

Some elements of the Eduard set supplemented with a bit of scratch-building and two ex-Lightning pilots so far.

The cockpit sidewalls had the heavy ribs removed and the rear area covered with thin sheet to disguise the recesses associated with the intake area;

1486891238.jpg

The bomb-bay door was added to the lower fuselage section and this imparted a great deal more rigidity. I've also added the nose undercarriage door - this will need a little blending in but the main bay doors are going to require much more work since this kit was never designed to be built wheels up and in flight.

1486891243.jpg

All good fun and frolics for the future I'm sure.

Edited by Col.
Add the photos before posting ya clown
  • Like 7

Looks great! And you're right in that he cockpit is always the focalpoint of an airplanemodel - especially one with a large canopy as the Bucc'! :D

I'll tag along to learn as much as I can as I also happen to have this kit at hand somewhere in 'The Attic!' (has to be written with exclamationmark!) :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

The twins for the cockpit will be a nice change,will you be doing this gear up col, good start though I've got to admit having a real soft spot for this aircraft and only building it once in 72 scale many moons ago,cant wait till tanmodel bring out their 1/48 version (if)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looks great! And you're right in that he cockpit is always the focalpoint of an airplanemodel - especially one with a large canopy as the Bucc'! :D

I'll tag along to learn as much as I can as I also happen to have this kit at hand somewhere in 'The Attic!' (has to be written with exclamationmark!) :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

That's a good point about the canopy Hans and the main reason I'm trying add plenty accurate detail in there; it's going to prove all too visible if I miss out or mess up stuff. Feel free to follow along my learning curve; I've another 4 of these kits to do so will be taking plenty notes myself haha.

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

The twins for the cockpit will be a nice change,will you be doing this gear up col, good start though I've got to admit having a real soft spot for this aircraft and only building it once in 72 scale many moons ago,cant wait till tanmodel bring out their 1/48 version (if)

Yes Hewy I'm going to do this one gear up. Was thinking it would save a lot of work detailling the undercarriage and bays until I tried to fit the main wheel well doors :hmmm: The twins will require a little work to reduce their identical nature as well.

7 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nice start Col. Looking forward to all that etch!! :Tasty:

Cheers :)  It's certainly proving useful in the cockpit so far. There's plenty of it for the airframe as well.

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Cmon, Col, pull yer finger out!

Yeah yeah, I'm working away as best I can, the fit of this one is taking a bit of time and effort to master in between keeping you lot in check you know ;) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Yeah yeah, I'm working away as best I can, the fit of this one is taking a bit of time and effort to master in between keeping you lot in check you know ;) 

Really? Ive heard so many good reviews of the Airfix Brick that it should be an absolute doddle to put together...
As for us lot, I think youre just distracted rather than concerned. Get on it before the "other Bucc" (finally) appears.

Decided what youre sticking on it, boomy wise, yet? Ive got a bit of a thing for Martels - Oh, got some KH versions of them here that are rather nicer than the Airfix if you fancy em? Theyre anti radar rather than TV guided though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Really? Ive heard so many good reviews of the Airfix Brick that it should be an absolute doddle to put together...
As for us lot, I think youre just distracted rather than concerned. Get on it before the "other Bucc" (finally) appears.

Decided what youre sticking on it, boomy wise, yet? Ive got a bit of a thing for Martels - Oh, got some KH versions of them here that are rather nicer than the Airfix if you fancy em? Theyre anti radar rather than TV guided though.

Ha ha aye well there are some 'interesting' fit issues I can see cropping up in the near future along with the need for a new tube of filler. A big new tube of filler! As for that 'other Bucc'; unless they make a total hash of it there's going to be at least one joining the Airfix kits in the stash or display depending how long it takes to appear ;)

At the moment I'm thinking a pair of rocket pods on the inner pylons and maybe some bombs on the outers, either 1000Lb or perhaps some scratch-build practice ones, as the Tain bombing range was just across the Moray Firth from Lossiemouth so there was no need for the external slipper tanks to extend the already good range of the Bucc. I'm keen to sling a full load of Martel on one of the RAF ones I have planned though as that looks mean so may give you a shout about the KH ones later if that's okay?

13 minutes ago, Col. said:

so may give you a shout about the KH ones later if that's okay?

Sure thing re the Martels, I only have two spare though and realise they can carry four. A mixed load of AR and TV would look nice mind. :)

• Like 1

Always had a soft spot for this aircraft because of its huge shape and tiny cockpit & canopy. And its off-centre seats. I remember Buccs taking off at airshows - simply retract the undercarriage and become airborne by default. Encountered them again when my family visited relatives near Soesterberg Neth. when a bunch of Buccs were deployed there. Saw them flying over so I sneaked out, lent a bike, and watched them all day as they tore in to give the runway a hug -well below the tree tops. Returned to find some wee weed off parents though :wait:.

Anyway - great subject and kit and I'm looking forward to what's next.

Jay (who is in dire need of a good 1/72 Buccaneer) 

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 1