1/72 Spitfire and Hurricane BoB pair

I was planning to submit these for the KUTA group-build but figured I was not going to finish on time given the disaster in my last Mustang builds. I was right, didn't finish until today.

Both kits had been painted but I was unhappy with the paint job so were stripped and re-done. Quite frankly I think the improvement was so modest I shouldn't have even bothered as it was very time consuming.

The Hurricane Mk. I is the Hasegawa kit. It's fabulous, and has great fit, it's main issue being that it has a rather spartan cockpit which was propped with Eduard superfabric seats. This was a bit overkill since there's no open canopy option but oh well. Decals were from Sky Models and represent Douglas Bader's LE*D plane. I think the letters were a bit oversized and there was no serial markings although I have seen some profiles of it without serials. I did not like that the letters were a very pale gray that makes them look almost white once applied. They should be darker. The last issue was that because this kit had been in limbo for so long, I lost the wing lights transparencies. This is annoying since it's so obvious that they're missing, so will need to think about how to recreate them.

The Spitfire Mk. I is the excellent Tamiya kit which despite some alleged shape issues looks pretty good to me and has amazing fit. I also used Eduard superfabric seats which also a bit overkill. Decals came from an Airfix kit. I love the oversized and slanted 610 squadron letters but the Airfix decals also had the problem of being too light, practically the same as the Hurricane.

Anyway, enjoy the kits. My 2017 count is now 5!

IMG_20170205_184325.jpg

IMG_20170205_184337.jpg

IMG_20170205_184409.jpg

IMG_20170205_184434.jpg

• Like 18

Nice work on two dodgy kits.

Regarding the landing lights on the Hurricane, I saw a build once that put some reflector detail in the back of the opening then covered the aperture with sellotape. I can't find it now, I'm afraid, but hopefully there's some food for thought.

John.

4 hours ago, johnd said:

Nice work on two dodgy kits.

Regarding the landing lights on the Hurricane, I saw a build once that put some reflector detail in the back of the opening then covered the aperture with sellotape. I can't find it now, I'm afraid, but hopefully there's some food for thought.

John.

I think calling them dodgy is a bit unfair. There are some localized shape issues (Spit has a very flat top nose) but they look the part in the end. Perhaps the exaggerated Hurricane fabric is the worst offense. Should give the new Airfix kit a try one day...