AZ Hampden TB1

72modeler

Has anybody purchased the AZ Models re-issue of the Valom 1/72 Hampden torpedo bomber variant? Mainly wondering if the 'new' transparencies advertised are any improvement in fit or appearance over the original kit items?

Mike

I don't think that many people will have their TBs yet, but there's a number of reviews around of the standard bomber which will use the same transparencies (except for the ventral position).  As I recall, one of the main selling points of the reboxing was that AZ were doing new transparencies that actually fit the fuselage.

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't think that many people will have their TBs yet, but there's a number of reviews around of the standard bomber which will use the same transparencies (except for the ventral position).  As I recall, one of the main selling points of the reboxing was that AZ were doing new transparencies that actually fit the fuselage.

That's what I was hoping, Graham; I don't want to spend the money on another kit unless the transparencies are indeed better. I have the Falcon vac canopies (for the Airfix kit, to be sure) and a couple of Airfix Hampdens, but I sure do like the torpedo carriers! I might be flayed alive for saying this, but I think the Hereford-powered Hamps are handsome beasts, as well!

Mike

Cough.  Dagger-powered Herefords.  I have a pair of cowlings which are intended for an Airfix Hampden, one day.  I actually have another pair, very old vacforms, but they're rubbish.  They may even have been jettisoned, which is pretty heretical here.  I suggest that you go looking for the reviews of the bomber that are out.

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Cough.  Dagger-powered Herefords.  I have a pair of cowlings which are intended for an Airfix Hampden, one day.  I actually have another pair, very old vacforms, but they're rubbish.  They may even have been jettisoned, which is pretty heretical here.  I suggest that you go looking for the reviews of the bomber that are out.

What can I say? Should have checked before I typed. The memory banks aren't what they used to be, and I am NO authority on British aircraft, which is why I read the posts in BM daily! I have read the kit reviews I could find on the 'net, but most are of the  'in the box' variety and not very useful from the accuracy standpoint. The various discussions in BM on the Hampden kits have been a lot more enlightening and useful....if memory serves, you have posted a lot of very useful Hampden details recently. (That sound you hear is me wiping the egg from my face!)

Mike

15 hours ago, dalea said:

But also check the photos. Hampden canopies are not a flush fit and do indeed overhang the openings. Not by much but some.

The sliding pilot's canopy does: the rest don't (nose, rear upper gun position, rear lower position)

• Like 1