Diamond T wrecker (demobbed)

Hi all, this is the Mirror models Diamond T wrecker in 1/35th scale. I have to say it is not the easiest of kits to assemble, the main problem for me being the very thick sprue between the runner and the part. Even with some of the very delicate parts, the sprue was so thick that it meant using a razor saw to very carefully detach from the runner, as side cutters would invariably result in the part being damaged. The general fit of parts was ok (ish), but you got to know that when a part has a small locating pin and matching hole, it is not going to fit, so all locating holes had to be opened up. I feel sometimes that there are a lot of un necessary parts breakdown to some components of some models, and this was no exception. I wonder if it is to increase the parts count so modellers feel they are getting good value, as some parts are so small and fiddly and just make the model more complex. Anyway, it eventually got finished. I was originally going to do it in standard US Army colours, but looking at images of T wreckers on Google made me change my mind and do a civil one instead. The kit is basically standard except for the lifting bar at the back (which is used to lift and tow articulated trucks), which was scratch built. Some extra details under the bonnet (or should I say hood) are added. Even though I tried to get all of the six axles to sit level, after the body was added it seemed to give the chassis a slight twist, resulting in the front off side wheel slightly raised. No matter what I did I could not correct it, so took the easy way out and showed the vehicle with that wheel jacked up and a mechanic doing some maintenance in the garage yard.  It is finished in Humbrol enamel paints, and weathered with powders and washes, the decals being home made. Although the T was a large vehicle, when you stand this model next to the AEC Matador wrecker I made (and was in these pages in July 2015), the Matador is significantly larger. Who says the Americans always make the biggest!

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Laurence.

008_zpsntpxnbnr.jpg

009_zpsnf5tyoyd.jpg

011_zpsxnihhunw.jpg

006_zpsuxadip9t.jpg

004_zpsy7rgoatx.jpg

003_zpszua0apub.jpg

002_zpscwphf8pz.jpg

• Like 25

• 2 weeks later...

Great fix for the off set axle.  

Also, we didn't always go for the biggest.  Just look at how puny the Sherman is compared to basically any panzer.  That being said, we've been making up for lost time in the last little while.  If you wanna build a GIANT wrecker build an M-88 Hercules.  They're so big and loud we used to run them through Baghdad (even though the only armament is a .50) just to scare the bad guys inside!