Seafire III, 809 Sqn FAA

Beard

I recently moved my modelling into my new mancave and the first kit out of the stash is a Sword Seafire III. This will be a quick WiP because I just bash kits together.

Anyway, here's the stash:

20170127_211337

Here's the box-top:

534454-12660-42-pristine.jpg

And the back of the box:

sw72084-seafire-mkiii.jpg

I'll need to get hold of some EDSG & DSG which means a trip to my local hobby shop or an order from Sovereign Hobbies.

The kit is Sword's Spitfire MkVc, with extra bits for the fuselage and folding wings.

P1010363

Not the world's best photograph (I'm testing-out an old digital camera, rather than using my phone) but you'll notice the are several spare cannon on the sprue. Both boxings I have also include almost everything you need to make a Spitfire Vc.

I have made a start. The seat & bits:

P1010365

The interior painted (Humbrol 33 and Sovereign Hobbies Interior Green):

P1010366

Some Tamiya Aluminum on the un-painted bits and a wash of poster piant black to make the detail stand out (not that it'll be seen once the fuselage halves are joined).

P1010367

The interior bits, with Tamiya tape seatbelts:

P1010369

The fuselage halves joined:

P1010368

Wings on:

P1010373

(note my mini Swiss Army Knife, with the tool for opening pots of paint, on the RHS of the photograph).

More to follow in due course.

Thanks for looking,

Beard

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Crossofiron1971 said:

Quick and nice work!

Thank you. It's certainly quick, not so sure about 'nice'.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Wow - speedy!

Photos are a bit dark Simon but she's looking good already :) 

A couple of evenings work, about two hours (all the chores my wife needs me to do must be done at some point, mustn't they?). I'm also doing a Sword XIV, in solidarity with your AZ one.

The photographs are a bit dark, my camera phone photographs are lighter (oddly), I suppose I'll have to invest in a lightbox sometime.

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Swiss have though of everything.

Quick work Simon, already looking like a Seafire!

I presume that's what the tool is for because I can't think of any other use for it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Beard said:

(note my mini Swiss Army Knife, with the tool for opening pots of paint, on the RHS of the photograph).

I use a similar (but even smaller) one to open my paint pots and cut out decals! We're practically brothers, except that my real brother is a moron. 

Very nice work on the seat and armour -- I always do a bad job on that with Sword kits.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rob85 said:

Nice knife, something no one should be without!

great start Simon, definitely looks like a seafire! Hope the man cave is working out for you?

Rob

Thanks Rob. The man cave is good.

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

I use a similar (but even smaller) one to open my paint pots and cut out decals! We're practically brothers, except that my real brother is a moron. 

I use the scissors for that too.

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Very nice work on the seat and armour -- I always do a bad job on that with Sword kits.

It's the rest of a Sword kit that I have trouble with.

• Like 3

Not much progress, partly because I'm also doing a Sword Spitfire XIV (which is a pig) and an Airfix fabric-wing Hurricane, apart from getting the Sky on the undersides (which need a light sanding to remove brush marks). I bought some Humbrol Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey today so will do topside in the next couple of days.

Anyway, as promised, here's a photograph:

P1010392

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Darby said:

That 809 scheme looks rather nice. The other scheme looks too much like a Spitfire.

I see what you mean, not that there's anything wrong with a Spitfire. I guess it was painted in RAF camouflage because 885 were doing spotting work on D-Day. Here's a history of 885: http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Squadrons/885.html

Edited by Beard
To correct the spelling of 'Spitfire'. I cannot apologise enough.
  • Like 1

Very quick and smart work Simon :)!

Did you see Humbrol paint for the Sky? It looks a nice shade and has gone on welll.

Nice mancave and a very sensible size stash :thumbsup2: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony.

I did use Humbrol for the Sky, I'll also be using Humbrol for the topside (mainly because I haven't got around to ordering some more paint from Sovereign Hobbies).

The man cave  will be better when I get a proper table for modelling, at the moment I'm using a folding picnic table, and the stash is getting larger all the time, smuggled another Airfix Hurricane and a Revell P-70 past the wife today (I nearly had to smuggle a 1979 SG past her today but thought better of it).

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Thanks Tony.

I did use Humbrol for the Sky, I'll also be using Humbrol for the topside (mainly because I haven't got around to ordering some more paint from Sovereign Hobbies).

The man cave  will be better when I get a proper table for modelling, at the moment I'm using a folding picnic table, and the stash is getting larger all the time, smuggled another Airfix Hurricane and a Revell P-70 past the wife today (I nearly had to smuggle a 1979 SG past her today but thought better of it).

its my birthday this month so i am blaming every new kit (only 4 so far) on that and lying about the price... i know she wont buy them!!

Next month I will have to think of different ways of getting them in, I might doctor some jackets and use the kids as mules Pablo Escobar style...

Rob 

P.s. looks like you have a number of 4 engined bombers there Simon.... the coastal command B-17 looks nice, I wonder what it would look like if you built it... 

Edited by rob85
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, rob85 said:

its my birthday this month so i am blaming every new kit (only 4 so far) on that and lying about the price... i know she wont buy them!!

Next month I will have to think of different ways of getting them in, I might doctor some jackets and use the kids as mules Pablo Escobar style...

Many happy returns. You could smuggle them in yourself, get a coat with poachers pockets.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice Simon, very smooth. 

Have fun finding a 'proper table' - the only time I actually enjoy shopping for furniture!

Thanks Ced. Whatever fun there is in buying a table won't be matched by the fun I'll have getting it into the attic.

• Like 2

The attic is a tricky place. Does it have a proper staircase or is it a loft type hatch?

Flat pack could be an idea; the dreaded yellow and blue Swedish meatball purveyor may be able to help (that lingonberry jam with the meatballs is nice :eat:).

Computer/office desks are a great  option for modelling purposes; I managed to get my last one second hand from a big Salvation Army charity shop, but wouldn't like to try getting one into an attic :o.

For smuggling purposes, take the kit out of the box. Fold the box flat and stuff it up one's shirt with decals and destructions. Put the poly bag with the parts in ones underpants.

It's ok for most single engine prop planes. A pointy jet can be problematic for the Goebbels.

All the best

TT

• Like 4

23 hours ago, rob85 said:

P.s. looks like you have a number of 4 engined bombers there Simon.... the coastal command B-17 looks nice, I wonder what it would look like if you built it... 

I missed this comment. I too wonder what it would look like if I built it... I'll find out one day.

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The attic is a tricky place. Does it have a proper staircase or is it a loft type hatch?

Flat pack could be an idea; the dreaded yellow and blue Swedish meatball purveyor may be able to help (that lingonberry jam with the meatballs is nice :eat:).

Computer/office desks are a great  option for modelling purposes; I managed to get my last one second hand from a big Salvation Army charity shop, but wouldn't like to try getting one into an attic :o.

It has a loft hatch, I couldn't afford a full loft conversion. Flat pack is what I'm considering, and I like meatballs with chips and gravy, trouble is the nearest shop is north of the river.

10 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

For smuggling purposes, take the kit out of the box. Fold the box flat and stuff it up one's shirt with decals and destructions. Put the poly bag with the parts in ones underpants.

It's ok for most single engine prop planes. A pointy jet can be problematic for the Goebbels.

I just deny it's a kit or anything to do with me. We live in a post-truth age now.

Anyway, the Seafire has had it's first coat of Dark Slate Grey...

32685087651_b5285a2e1b_b.jpg

Obviously, it'll need a rub-down (don't we all?) and I swear that enormous gap wasn't there until I took the photograph.

Thanks for looking,

Beard

• Like 4

Hello Beard,

Nice job, always glad to see a seafire.

No longer need to smuggle kits, I have almost 400 1/48 kits in the attic, my own little modelshop.

So when asked, I just answer that it is not a new one, or this is a swap with a fellow modeller.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 2

Seafire's looking good.

Regarding the kit smuggling, you need a long coat with the pockets removed. I attended a football match about three seasons ago where the hosts were a bit sniffy about people taking cans into the ground. One individual let slip that he'd never had a problem due to his modified coat and promptly regretted it. I've never seen anyone waddle so slowly. The strained expression as he manoeuvred this well-laden floor length coat to the away end will remain with me until the day I die.

John.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice job, always glad to see a seafire.

Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

No longer need to smuggle kits, I have almost 400 1/48 kits in the attic, my own little modelshop.

So when asked, I just answer that it is not a new one, or this is a swap with a fellow modeller.

Nice stash, must take up some room, and good work on the deception.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Beard said:

Thank you. 

Nice stash, must take up some room, and good work on the deception.

Just the result of a good 30 years of kit buying.

My son has projected that I must live 137 years to finish it all:huh:

The problem is that I cannot stop buying kits, and I restart building kits:unsure:

Considering the decals, resin parts and photoetched parts, my listing run around 900 entries.

I told you so, I'm crazy:P

Corsaircorp

• Like 2