Boeing 707-320B Ecuatoriana Heller 1/72

Hi Alex,

What a nice looking model! Heller 707s are thin on the ground, and well-rendered ones are particularly rare. I attempted a couple many years ago, got frustrated and gave up. But i held onto a lot of the parts.

I see that the window decals are the way to go. One criticism i hear about the kit is that the windows on the airliner version are set too low, and i've seen some pretty radical measures taken to fix that problem. Decal windows seem sooooo much easier.

I know the Heller instruction sheet calls for the upper wing halves to be joined to the roots on the fuselage first, followed by the lower center section, and finally the outer underside planks. It probably alleviates the mismatch along the upper root, but it makes the model very unwieldy for handling purposes (i.e., twisting and turning the model while performing seam cleanup, and not bonking the pointy wingtips against the workbench, walls, doorways, cat, etc).

All that aside..... a splendid looking model.

david

• Like 1

cor - lordy dordy - now that's a quite superb model 707 - and a biggie too which reminds me that these old ladies really were quite big planes in their hey day

very nicely made - a real tribute to both the aircraft and Heller's moulding.

• Like 1

On 2017-02-05 at 3:32 PM, Alex1978 said:

My first build finished in 2017 is the huge Boeing 707 kit from Heller in 1/72 scale.

Its actually the AWACS kit issued by the manufacturer some many years ago.I bought this kit on a Swiss auction platform before Heller anounced the re-relase of their Boeing 707-320B kit in Air France and BOAC colors.

Apart from some antennas and the huge radar as well as missing cabin windows,the AWACS kit is actually identical to the passenger version.

Being so,it saved a lot of work filling and sanding all windows.

Heller's 707  is very well moulded and accurate and an easy build.Parts fit quite well,the only major problem area is the wing to fuselage join.There I had to insert some sprues to slightly widen and strenghten the fuselage to avoid a huge gap between the wings and fuselage.

Otherwise there where no other issues.

Very nice Alex. I realy like the livery. 

I have had a similar idea. Mine is to convert the awacs to a 737. But the model is in the bottom of my ever expanding stash in the closet. >.<

\\Dan

• Like 1

On 5.2.2017 at 7:39 PM, BerndM said:

Good to know, Hellers 707 is high on my want list and window decals are a worthy option.

Guess the airliner kit has clear parts for the cabin windows but the decals look great.

Superb build !

Got my 707 today, huge ! The kit contains the fuselage parts without cabin windows.

That will save a lot of time and work.

Hope it will turn out as half as good as your beauty :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Got my 707 today, huge ! The kit contains the fuselage parts without cabin windows.

That will save a lot of time and work.

Hope it will turn out as half as good as your beauty :)

Thats interesting.I didn't know that the new Heller kit comes without cabin windows.

Have fun with the build. Looking forward to see your result.

What airline did you chose for your 707 ?

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thats interesting.I didn't know that the new Heller kit comes without cabin windows.

Have fun with the build. Looking forward to see your result.

What airline did you chose for your 707 ?

It came yesterday and after examining the kit contains, i have contacted Heller about this fact, may i get an answer.

The airline is undecided, before that i have to do a good bunch of research. The BOAC/Air France decals will look good in combination with Authenthic Airliner 3d window decals but 26 has also some interesting options.

• Like 1

Great model. Attention to detail. Pylon panelling ,Intake doors, Flap fillet, windows look really good. love it.

I saw the title and was hoping for the way out  Ecuatoriana  paint jobs of the mid/late 70s,then realised I hadn't read the title properly, they were 720Bs !

Well done and thanks for showing !

• Like 1

On 8.2.2017 at 12:23, David H said:

Hi Alex,

What a nice looking model! Heller 707s are thin on the ground, and well-rendered ones are particularly rare. I attempted a couple many years ago, got frustrated and gave up. But i held onto a lot of the parts.

I see that the window decals are the way to go. One criticism i hear about the kit is that the windows on the airliner version are set too low, and i've seen some pretty radical measures taken to fix that problem. Decal windows seem sooooo much easier.

I know the Heller instruction sheet calls for the upper wing halves to be joined to the roots on the fuselage first, followed by the lower center section, and finally the outer underside planks. It probably alleviates the mismatch along the upper root, but it makes the model very unwieldy for handling purposes (i.e., twisting and turning the model while performing seam cleanup, and not bonking the pointy wingtips against the workbench, walls, doorways, cat, etc).

All that aside..... a splendid looking model.

david

Thank you David.

Yes,it was quite a task to handle the model with the wings attached,but its not possible to put them on after all the paint and decal work is done.

More than once it bumped against things,like door,table,my head...the right wing had to be fixed countless times

22 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Great model. Attention to detail. Pylon panelling ,Intake doors, Flap fillet, windows look really good. love it.

I saw the title and was hoping for the way out  Ecuatoriana  paint jobs of the mid/late 70s,then realised I hadn't read the title properly, they were 720Bs !

Well done and thanks for showing !

Thank you very much.

Yes,I saw those paint jobs too.As they are also available as decal sets,I might get me another 720 and build one of those.But in 144 scale,as the Heller 707 is just one huge airliner kit.It just fits on its final place in the hobby room.

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Now that is very impressive. Large and colourful. The engines look authentically noisy. But it's those 1970s colours that make this model great. 

-Jay

Hi Alex,

Now that is very impressive. Large and colourful. The engines look authentically noisy. But it's those 1970s colours that make this model great. 

-Jay

Hi Alex,

-Jay

Edit: no idea why my comment appeared three times but it's probably something with the fact I wrote and saved this on a bumpy train.

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Alex

That is one of the best looking models I've seen in a very long time fantastic finish well done

regards

Eamonn

Thank you very much Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...

That really is one very attractive build and colourscheme. A great job. If only the UK's Court Line had operated the type..just think of the colourscheme options we could apply! Am currently ordering my Heller 707....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fazzman said:

That really is one very attractive build and colourscheme. A great job. If only the UK's Court Line had operated the type..just think of the colourscheme options we could apply! Am currently ordering my Heller 707....

Thank you very much.

Yes,Court Line schemes were very interesting that time.The yellow and pink L-1011s as well as their BAC-111s were real eye catchers...

Could be interesting how the 707 would have looked...

Edited by Alex1978

Top class job as usual, we always see and expect this high quality from your modelling. There is only one thing missing, where are the cats?

1 hour ago, lindan said:

Top class job as usual, we always see and expect this high quality from your modelling. There is only one thing missing, where are the cats?

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Cats are missing because they didnt fit on the table...model is too big...:winkgrin:

• Like 1