1/32 Roland CIIa (late) Wingnut Wings

Hi Everyone

Well here it is, I finished this last night, my first 1/32 scale build, and my first Wingnut Wings build.

My wife bought me this kit for Christmas, and I'd made such a thing about getting one that I promoted it to the top of the stash.  Without any preconceived ideas on the subject, she bought the Roland based on the boxart, and so I did the decent thing and built that subject.

What can I say about this build;  well I know it's probably not the most complicated kit in their range but it turned out to be one of the easiest and quickest builds I've done in a long time.  Part fit was excellent, and I didn't feel the need to second guess the makers research at every step; I just got on with it. It took me a bit to get used to the instructions and I did have to retrace my steps a couple of times. I have to say that I (and the guys at work ) was gobsmacked by the level of detail and I have to take my hat off the the WnW team......Thanks guys !

I don't have the artistic bent that some of you guys have when building these things this one is pretty clean with oil and mud applied where I think it's appropriate, not much in the way of weathering.

I hope you like it

Cheers

Gaz

20170204_203935_zpsahfpfb7w.jpg

20170204_203908_zpstkxypgqs.jpg

20170205_220824_zpscttyuuud.jpg

20170205_221038_zpsb2hfjuio.jpg

20170205_220657_zpsrsxtq1vo.jpg

20170205_220753_zpsmvuqecrb.jpg

20170205_220737_zps5vbkjpb6.jpg

20170205_220635_zpsexarpgyy.jpg

20170205_220509_zpskpvpkoh8.jpg

20170205_220549_zps1pdl9kof.jpg

20170204_204607_zpsjilpxjei.jpg

20170204_204524_zpsugwmmzjg.jpg

Oh, we were driving past Masterton yesterday and decided to quickly find out where Hood Aerodrome was.  Before we knew it we were having a look around the TVAL hanger. Great place.

20170204_151423_zpsxklxkjzt.jpg

Edited by kiwitrogg
  • Like 25

Did Harry Potter teach you to downsize real airplanes and then pass them off as models ? :D 

• Like 1

That is gobsmackingly good.  Absolutely museum quality modelling right down to the discolouration of the exhaust pipes.  Beautiful.  I'd love to visit the TVAL hangar.  What an amazing outfit.  I often use their website walkrounds for reference. 

• Like 1

Fantastic build !!!

But I have to laugh a bit when I see the curtains on the side windows!

That is very funny, I think; did the crew of this aircraft need any privacy?

Or is it just an habitual hiding of the internal parts of the air plane, isn't it?

• Like 1

Your first of many WnW kits I hope. An outstanding result there!

I belive that in real life the curtains were painted on, as an example of German humour. It works!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks chaps :)

With regard the curtains, yeah a nice touch. I wondered about those but it mentions in the instructions about them being painted.

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is gobsmackingly good.  Absolutely museum quality modelling right down to the discolouration of the exhaust pipes.  Beautiful.  I'd love to visit the TVAL hangar.  What an amazing outfit.  I often use their website walkrounds for reference. 

Thanks Meatbox8; 2 things I looked up were, how to paint exhausts, and how to paint propellers. TVAL, I think they had about a dozen aircraft in the hanger at the time with others in maintenance hangers elsewhere. I didn't expect to be wandering around these aircraft up close with no ropes or barriers, and they are all regularly flown,   The staff were absolutely fantastic and didn't rush us even though we arrived late and were there past closing time.  I'll have to try and get back there for one of their flying days.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Your first of many WnW kits I hope. An outstanding result there!

I belive that in real life the curtains were painted on, as an example of German humour. It works!

Cheers

John

Hi John, thanks.  Bless her, my wife bought 2 kits; one with crosses and one with roundels.....the roundels are French though. So what can I say, I'll have to get a British one won't I !  :whistle:  So with the Roland and Salmson 2-A2 both being 2 seaters I reckon I'll have to get a DH9.a Ninak with that big old radiator on the front.

I've corrected the title, it's a Roland CIIa (late)....just like it was when I posted. :(

Cheers

Gaz

Looks fantastic Gaz! It doesn't need any more staining or weathering - I think 1/32 is big enough for things to look real without going to town on that stuff. I love the curtains in the windows too.

You should let your wife buy you more kits ;)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback :)

On 6/02/2017 at 1:08 PM, AdrianMF said:

You should let your wife buy you more kits ;)

Hi Adrian, I mentioned this to her and she replied "Don't they know you've got 50 more in the cupboard to build !". I think that means I'll only get the one for my birthday next month.......that's what I heard anyway :laugh:

• Like 1