The other Tim's 1/72 Airfix Lightning F2A - 92 Sqn RAF Gutersloh 1974

Again, breaking own rules regards 2 models on the bench with time constraints (2 builds in the F16 STGB!) I am in with another Lightning.....I know there are a few around, in different scales and NMF, but I will build out of the box, depicting the 92Sqn DG over Aluminium finish.

In my view you can never have too many cold war lightnings, its in my stash, so, im gonna build it!

I have tended to build 1/48 since I returned to the hobby (I built a lovely Airfix 1/48 F6 in the Lightning STBG) but have started on some projects that need 1/72, so have started playing with fiddly bits again and re-engaged the carpet monster in that ongoing war over small parts!

The Airfix starter kit is quite big and complex for a starter kit, with acrylic paints (never used may try!?) etc.

C448EE1C-A4CB-449B-A7FF-4CB6F8935F81_zps

3CFE0B1F-BD44-4EF6-9F42-BE2C05911D7E_zps

XN793-A-LightningF2A-92Sqn-wsb_04.jpg

XN793A-MF.jpg

XN778A_Saal_tb.jpg

Bit of a hiccup! Looks to me as if the ground crew are in the older style NBC suits. Any experts tell me if the missiles are live?

XN793_A_LightningF2A_92Sqn_CrownCopyrigh

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

acrylic paints (never used may try!?) etc.

My advice, don't. Not on a model that you want to be proud of, anyway. My experience with them is that they work, but they're not very good. Save them for diorama groundwork. Or throw them at next door's cat when it yowls at night.

Or toss them out. Maybe you can save the pots and... no, just toss 'em.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

My advice, don't. Not on a model that you want to be proud of, anyway. My experience with them is that they work, but they're not very good. Save them for diorama groundwork. Or throw them at next door's cat when it yowls at night.

Or toss them out. Maybe you can save the pots and... no, just toss 'em.

Lol - will do - I generally rely on Mr Color and Mr paints now for my airbrush. May be useful for brush painting inside and details etc?

My F6 attempt in the STGB in 1/48.

b7e4d241-83f7-410b-a7f4-7d95b2e54c9a_zps

• Like 3

Generally, they don't brush at all well. Won't stick, and the ones that do, don't cover. I did the Vampire for the Starter Kit GB last year, and the silver nearly drove me mad.

It's up to you, but I wouldn't waste my time even opening the pots.

The F.6 is very nice. One day, I'll make a start on my 48th Lightning collection (8 in the stash, thus far.)

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Again, breaking own rules regards 2 models on the bench with time constraints (2 builds in the F16 STGB!) I am in with another Lightning.....I know there are a few around, in different scales and NMF, but I will build out of the box, depicting the 92Sqn DG over Aluminium finish.

In my view you can never have too many cold war lightnings, its in my stash, so, im gonna build it!

I have tended to build 1/48 since I returned to the hobby (I built a lovely Airfix 1/48 F6 in the Lightning STBG) but have started on some projects that need 1/72, so have started playing with fiddly bits again and re-engaged the carpet monster in that ongoing war over small parts!

The Airfix starter kit is quite big and complex for a starter kit, with acrylic paints (never used may try!?) etc.

XN778A_Saal_tb.jpg

Bit of a hiccup! Looks to me as if the ground crew are in the older style NBC suits. Any experts tell me if the missiles are live?

XN793_A_LightningF2A_92Sqn_CrownCopyrigh

Ooh :wub: 

Another excellent subject choice Tim.

Having seen what you did with your F.6 during the STGB I've every faith in you producing another cracking example of the type here. As for the NMF versus green over NMF schemes; the silver may look fast but the green uppers always made the Lightning look mean in my opinion. As if it would not only fight dirty but then steal your wife afterwards.

Not sure if the missiles were live in the last couple photos but I'd imagine they were given the where and when of the situation. Even if everyone involved were likely wishing they were not at the time!

• Like 1

Got started, most of the parts off the sprue for priming and any pre-building, such as the airbreaks, undercarriage doors etc.

Plenty of ejector pins and sink marks, thankfully most not in important areas. Using the 1/48 instructions to assist with paint details, as its a starter kit it only lists the paints provided, so some areas such as the cockpit etc need a bit of extra research...hence I always keep old instructions!

Out for priming and hand painting now.

04DE7D26-6088-460F-9B14-BAE3238AACE1_zps

319233A4-A388-47B0-818F-595F98F66D73_zps

oh....and who is this imposter that arrived in the post?!

7F355B4D-99B5-415B-AEE7-50E43AFDC270_zps

• Like 5

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, Tim Moff said:

Lol - will do - I generally rely on Mr Color and Mr paints now for my airbrush. May be useful for brush painting inside and details etc?

You can, and I have been usually quite successful painting very small detail parts with plenty of Mr Color levelling thinner, and if I was attempting a larger flat area, I'd possibly even use some retarder to give the paint time to sit down well. They're acrylic lacquers so they don't eat away at plastic quite like cellulose stuff, but you'd soon get in to trouble if you brushed them on neat.

By the way- Halford's grey primer gives a decent enough impression of Dark Admiralty Grey RAF cockpits. Save yourself some time and effort and you can prime the whole airframe at the same time...!

Will

• Like 2

More offensive, abusive and insulting language getting the sides together on the F2A. Filler needed on the nose and just behind nose wheel well where the gap was grand canyon like.....try thinning the edges of the engine mout etc, all the ejection pin marks were cut out/filed off, so not sure what caused it....done now, bit more building before Primer....

854DB92E-24F8-4853-8C99-54B10F3F8E8C_zps

• Like 3

I've read a few similar stories from others working on the F.6 kit so it seems a common problem Tim rather than anything you've done in particular. Annoying when the earlier F.2a boxing seemed to be fine.

Edited by Col.

• 2 months later...

Not been much progress, 2 week deployment to Mosul and the F16 STGB!

Got back to her - hopefully get build finished soon. Some gaps to fill.

2E3A9A59-855C-4668-8539-7CD4EB23117F_zps

E634EA62-9439-4337-B61A-28F3C29EB268_zps

• Like 1

seems to be coming together nicely Tim. I too struggled with the nose are on my F6, but after shaving things here and there I eventually got a better fit. As other have said, when I built my F2A in its original boxing it seemed to almost fall together.

• Like 1

Most of the build side complete and some black primer on.....Aluminium on next then the green!

652AB917-472E-432F-BB4C-018F8ABA45E9_zps

538A5229-1AC7-489C-A38B-A2748C7A15A1_zps

03D953D2-9C77-480C-9CAE-D3BD7566CAB7_zps

• Like 2

Quick airbrush session this afternoon - got the White Aluminium care of Mr paint - tried to build it up slowly and leave some more darker patches. Using leftover 1/48 painting instructions to help as the starter kit ones are not too detailed. Also got some radome tan on the lil bit on the spine and the trim on the dorsal stabiliser thingies....

IMG_0360-01-1600x1600.jpg

C3A73247-B7E8-4A37-BFB2-B6C70075AD86_zps

1A364396-0D40-4F75-B8C9-D572D1278CA0_zps

• Like 2

Tidy work there Tim. Good to see this one getting some paint on. That bottle looks a lot like the Alclad ones; how does the paint perform?

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy work there Tim. Good to see this one getting some paint on. That bottle looks a lot like the Alclad ones; how does the paint perform?

Thanks - its really great paint, pre-thinned and goes on at around 12-15 PSI. They are a bit more expensive than Mr Color etc but there is more in the jar and you use less so in the long run its more efficient in my view. Now available via various UK stockists and the the colour matches are great, or say so the experts!

2 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Good to see the paint works out well.

Did you use the Mr Color in the background as a primer?

Thanks Lex - No I just used a standard rattle can primer in black - I do normally use Mr Surfacer 1500 but I ran out!

• Like 1

Got the green on:

4ADF51CA-A0AE-4F75-9E8F-7FD1DD950F15_zps

Mottling done:

3F45CAA6-8AC2-4F0F-A790-55C662846883_zps

4CE90C44-3612-428C-B837-0A25CE5FA567_zps

RAF Mr Color Dark Green (Mr paint has not got the modern one yet!)

602F2514-6400-49B6-AD5C-F60EE1A41E9A_zps

DE8469B9-8A91-47C4-BBC9-2514F00BF567_zps

• Like 1