The Other Tim's 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer S2B - 208 Sqn - Ex Northern Express, Norway

I have decided to dive in with a Cold War jet that should not be forgotten during this GB! My normal rule of only 2 kits on the bench is out of the window (I've 2 x F16s on the go), so it may be a push.

The Buccaneer was one of the aircraft that the UK depended on for various roles over the Cold War years, from Nuclear bomber, anti-shipping strike, Close Air Support and Interdictor strike from Germany amongst other jobs!

The Northern Flank was an area that both NATO and the Warsaw Pact both heavily militarised and I myself operated in the area over a few cold winters!!

I have therefore decided top model the aircraft painted in Arctic colours supporting the NATO northern flank.

I have a very old original new tool boxing that was issued in 1989 according to Scalemates.

481ADCA3-3208-4EC3-B822-ADB176A8537D_zps

It looks fine, some parts off the sprue. Raised panel lines and basic detail, but it will do until this much talked about new Bucc appears (Tan Model are planning some nice models, including a 72 and 48 Bucc).

I have a pair of slipper tanks (stole the kits tanks for the FROG kit as the fit was better) to add.

http://www.greenmats.club/topic/2158-tanmodel-buccaneer-smk2-1-48-рендеры/

I have some decals left over from my Frog build during the Made in Great Britain GB, so decided that after some question marks as to where the Stone/Dark Earth S2B from Ex Red Flag, I would model the Arctic cam.

This is a white temp ARTF over the normal DG, with DSG, over a LAC lower areas.

0D23DE9F-7173-462C-9967-62F7B43955BD_zps

783BBB4B-CC83-4458-8F43-57503C66BA0D_zps

77A0AE80-8FF7-42AB-9ABF-D57DF9DB12D3_zps

DF930CDC-150D-412E-81EE-F799D4642134_zps

Gotta love the Banana!!

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Harley John said:

Currently got the Matchbox Banana on the bench nearing what passes, by my standards, as completion, t& three Airfix )2 x 1/72, 1 x 1/48) in the stash. So I'll grab a seat up near the front.

I have the 1/48  sitting there as well....wanted to do it in Op Granby colours.

My Frog S2A for the Made in Britain GB.

97DADF37-93E7-46EC-ACD5-1E8A5C432167_zps

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I have decided to dive in with a Cold War jet that should not be forgotten during this GB! My normal rule of only 2 kits on the bench is out of the window (I've 2 x F16s on the go), so it may be a push.

The Buccaneer was one of the aircraft that the UK depended on for various roles over the Cold War years, from Nuclear bomber, anti-shipping strike, Close Air Support and Interdictor strike from Germany amongst other jobs!

The Northern Flank was an area that both NATO and the Warsaw Pact both heavily militarised and I myself operated in the area over a few cold winters!!

I have therefore decided top model the aircraft painted in Arctic colours supporting the NATO northern flank.

I have a very old original new tool boxing that was issued in 1989 according to Scalemates.

It looks fine, some parts off the sprue. Raised panel lines and basic detail, but it will do until this much talked about new Bucc appears (Tan Model are planning some nice models, including a 72 and 48 Bucc).

I have a pair of slipper tanks (stole the kits tanks for the FROG kit as the fit was better) to add.

I have some decals left over from my Frog build during the Made in Great Britain GB, so decided that after some question marks as to where the Stone/Dark Earth S2B from Ex Red Flag, I would model the Arctic cam.

This is a white temp ARTF over the normal DG, with DSG, over a LAC lower areas.

Top choice Tim! :yahoo: 

Nice to have a somewhat personal conection by way of your 'work trips' to Norway as well.

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

Gotta love the Banana!!

Oh yes! :D 

7 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I have the 1/48  sitting there as well....wanted to do it in Op Granby colours.

One for a Buccaneer STGB perhaps? ;) 

Rule 1. Grey Green wrap around looks good on anything.

Rule 2. Replacing the Green with White looks awesome.

Rule 3. There is no rule 3.

Looking forward to this!

• Like 2

Got started, most parts off the sprue and some initial building etc, need some filling around the undercarriage doors etc.

Cockpit is Uber sparse, it will hung up inflight so not bothered too much.

19FE145E-CB56-45CE-BC1E-F47F5A14CBB0_zps

4BF9EFBD-0D7D-4994-A979-9C473282BF49_zps

The GBU31 in the top right was kindly donated by Dermot for my 1/72 Spangdahlem based F16C, forward mounded to Aviano for Operation Odyssey Dawn, across in the STGB.

Ooooh - whose this imposter that arrived in the post?!

7F355B4D-99B5-415B-AEE7-50E43AFDC270_zps

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 3

Not much progress with so much on the go, getting the sparse interior sorted and the pilots in. May add my own ejection seat pulls above the seat as they are missing and a bit obvious. Otherwise going with whats in it. Will be modeled in flight, in my garage!

6MSBafrontquarter.jpg

Darn white paint - 6342 coats hand painted on!

Bit of filler here and there, including gear doors and wing/flaps area.

92E9A676-C431-48E4-AABC-28CC69D21FCA_zps

• Like 4

Another punch up, trying to fuse both upper and lower together without gaps the size of trenches!

Got there, had to put the Lightning Pilot in the back seat as he didn't fit in the actual Lightning! Must be a 6 footer! Some seams to sort but hopefully it will come together a bit now.

36571216-AD8E-4B5B-85BA-8945B2289BC0_zps

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not been too much progress, 2 week deployment to Mosul and the F16 STGB!

Got back to the Bucc - a bit of a filler mare!  - hopefully get build finished soon. 942D35C4-7FB9-4744-8223-CEC69EE4A221_zps

• Like 5

Build complete and some black primer on.

Some reason the canopy did not fit, with an overhang at the front - the wind shield has a locating hole so its correct....bit of filler to try to blend it in. Soon be ready for arctic paint! job

375265C1-EC24-4521-B052-3141AD8A5425_zps

• Like 2

Got Mr Metal stainless on all the areas required, quick rub polish with some kitchen roll. Also got the radome tan onto the fibre glass areas (apologies pics are poor). Net will be the light aircraft grey after some masking.

02364AF5-D8D1-49E3-9813-782E88CF3BEC_zps

328CB325-FF78-46F6-9ABF-7F741EA5FB1B_zps

• Like 5