Airfix Mustang IV

Andre B

Hello,

Just wonder concerning Airfix RAF Mustang IV (A55107)... ...does this kit have the correct propeller? What I knew it´s not correct but just want to be sure...

What I am aiming with is to build that Mustang IV that made an hardlanding att Getterön, Sweden 1945...

http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/RAF/RAF105-KH695.html

https://books.google.se/books?id=wLjWCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=Getterön+Mustang&source=bl&ots=WHmbIODNDI&sig=LSvEc8Lxrcsu4-2fDIwQzXPPyE0&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0oYPT2fjRAhXDApoKHT2mBbsQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=Getterön Mustang&f=false

What's still missing concerning this nice kit is the uncuffed props, the landing light (comes with both Italeri and Tamiya kits), the second type of exhausts (those coming with the Tamiya kit fits the Airfix kit as well with not so much work) and photo/camera housing for the Swedish S 26 Mustang. Whit these parts a lot more variants could easilly been made.

http://www.flygmuseetf21.se/mustang.htm

I really like the way Heller did with their P-51D making it possible to build an early P-51D. Sad that Airfix didn't use this possibility as well. But still it's the best kit.

By the way, was the wheelhouse on the Mustang Mk IV's painted or.., ? And if painted, what colour was it painted in?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

The Airfix MkIV comes with the cuffed Hamilton Standard propellor. RAF MkIVs had the Aeroproducts propellor fitted from new; the 2 types are very different in shape. The Aeroproducts prop was unpopular and the Hamilton Standard one was fitted in its place as often as possible, but from my limited research, not many wartime RAF aircraft actually got the HS prop fitted.

I can't see which prop is fitted in the photos in your first link, but KM148 in the 2nd link would seem to have the Aeroproducts prop fitted. I'd say that unless you had photographic proof that an HS prop was fitted, you'll need to source an Aeroproducts one. There's a few available. For my build of 'Dooleybird', I'm using the Red Roo set of the Aeroproducts prop. It's a very nice little conversion set containing just the blades, which are to be fitted to the kit hub and spinner. A bit of effort is called for to use it :)

You may also need to find more information as to the fitting (or not) of the louvres over the intake grilles on your aircraft. This was an RAF modification that was applied, as far as I can find, at the squadron level. Not all aircraft had it, but it's visible on many photos, including KM148 above. Resin and etch versions available.

Hello Rob,

Thanks, you said exactly what my point was or I felt it would be. It´s sad that Airfix didn't made the Aeroproduct's prop as well when they made their new Mustang. But if they would come out with yet another version it would be nice if it was one with the Aeropoduct's propeller, the other types of exhausts and the landing light and maybe with the camerahousing for the S 26 as well. And why not an new tail for an early P-51d... *dreaming*

One could use the spare propellerblades from the Hasegava kit. I also took an look on the propellerblades from the older Airfix kit but didn't found them useable...

So what about the wheelhouse then? Painted or natural metall?

Cheers / André

To be fair to Airfix, even the Tamiya 72nd kit doesnt have the Aeroproducts prop in it, just the cuffed versions of the Hamilton Standard (iirc).

I can't help with the cockpit colours I'm afraid - my research has yet to get that far in establishing some sort of standard for my builds.

I'm no Mustang expert but believe that the extra propeller supplied in the new F-51D kit is an uncuffed Hamilton Standard rather than an Aeroproducts one. 

One of the earlier Airfix toolings had the AP prop as an option, though. There are also aftermarket solutions. Freightdog makes a replacement (out of stock at the moment, I think) and as mentioned above, Red Roo sell separate blades if you're feeling dexterous.

John.

9 hours ago, Graeme H said:

I think both the Tamiya and Airfix kits have the Aeroproducts Prop in their respective post war boxings of F-51

No, its the later Hamilton "paddleblade prop" and not the Aeroproducts prop. I will go for another Hasegawa P-51D Mustang. They made their Mustang with both Hamilton cuffed props and the Aeroproduct's prop...

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Pedantic touch:  no Mk.IVs had the Aeroproducts propeller because if it did, it was a Mk.IVA.  A Useful way to distinguish between the two.

What I knew the concerned aircraft KH 695 was an Mk. IVA. What prop did the Mk. IV have?

Edited by Andre B

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

To be fair to Airfix, even the Tamiya 72nd kit doesnt have the Aeroproducts prop in it, just the cuffed versions of the Hamilton Standard (iirc).

I can't help with the cockpit colours I'm afraid - my research has yet to get that far in establishing some sort of standard for my builds.

Thanks for your answer Rob. Concerning the colour it was about if the wheelhouse was painted or if it was left natural metal. Not the cockpit...

Sheers / André

Edited by Andre B

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:08 AM, Andre B said:

Hello,

Just wonder concerning Airfix RAF Mustang IV (A55107)... ...does this kit have the correct propeller? What I knew it´s not correct but just want to be sure...

What I am aiming with is to build that Mustang IV that made an hardlanding att Getterön, Sweden 1945...

https://books.google.se/books?id=wLjWCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=Getterön+Mustang&source=bl&ots=WHmbIODNDI&sig=LSvEc8Lxrcsu4-2fDIwQzXPPyE0&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj0oYPT2fjRAhXDApoKHT2mBbsQ6AEIITAB#v=onepage&q=Getterön Mustang&f=false

What's still missing concerning this nice kit is the uncuffed props, the landing light (comes with both Italeri and Tamiya kits), the second type of exhausts (those coming with the Tamiya kit fits the Airfix kit as well with not so much work) and photo/camera housing for the Swedish S 26 Mustang. Whit these parts a lot more variants could easilly been made.

http://www.flygmuseetf21.se/mustang.htm

I really like the way Heller did with their P-51D making it possible to build an early P-51D. Sad that Airfix didn't use this possibility as well. But still it's the best kit.

By the way, was the wheelhouse on the Mustang Mk IV's painted or.., ? And if painted, what colour was it painted in?

Cheers / André

IIRC, on P-51D's,  the main spar which forms the back of the wheel bay was painted with zinc chromate yellow; the rest of the wheel bay is where it gets interesting! Some aircraft had the wheel bay roof also in zinc chromate yellow, some had the wheel bay unpainted, and some had a portion of one side unpainted and the other side in chromate yellow. The fairing doors, both inner and outer, were unpainted. I seem to recall some topic discussion on this subject in the forum, so you might do a search for it. I will try to find my web sources for this subject, but I'm betting Dana Bell, Nick  Millman, or one of the other color authorities might log on and assist you.

Mike

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Cuffed. I don't think I've seen evidence of any uncuffed HS props being seen in the ETO - there may be some of course, but rare if so.  But then I hadn't realised there was an uncuffed HS between the cuffed and the paddle blades.

Well, the Swedish Air force got their first P-51D's (10-11 april 1945) not long after RAF got their first P-51D and K (65 sqn flew their first mission with Mustang IV 17 march) and the cuffs where not always fitted to those aircrafts with the HS prop that was delivered to Sweden. The first P-51D Mustangs with few flying hours was delivered from depots in UK under the war and the later ones from depots in Germany after the war. The mentioned RAF Mustang KH 695 was what I knew from 65 Sqn and an IVA with the Aeroproducts prop...

Ah, you meant the wheel wells. Language confusion. :) ('Wheelhouse' is a term used for the control position on a boat or ship, which is why I thought you meant the cockpit.) I found a good thread on Mustang painting, I'll share it when I'm back on the computer.

Mustang props can be a bit of a can of worms. The cuffs on the cuffed HS were made from hardened rubber, and it was found that occasionally the cuff would separate from the blade, allowing moisture to seep down into the gap and causing corrosion. The remedy was usually to strip off the cuff and clean away the corrosion without replacing the cuff, thus producing the first "uncuffed" blades. They can be recognised by their square shanks, which were intended to stop the cuffs rotating on the blade. The later uncuffed blades (the paddle blades) had rounded shanks.

Thanks Rob,

Another name for cockpit in Sweden for both racingboats (I am an sailor) and aircrafts is "sittbrunn" or more or less "sittingwell" in english.

Of course I should use wheelwells but i didn't find the word... ; )

I knew a lot about Mustang painting and I have even crawling under some (for example the one at Hendon in UK and the J 26 at Flygvapenmuseum in Sweden). But both where more or less natural metall with the mainspar painted yellow. But most built Mustang Mk. IV kits I've seen has painted wheel well and I haven't read any information about that...

Sheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

Concerning flaps on camoflaged Mustang Mk. IV.

That surfacearea normaly not seen when flaps are up... ...but seen when flaps are down.

Was that surfacearea on the flaps also painted ore left NMT?

/André

On 2017-02-11 at 1:22 PM, Gwart said:

The Freightdog resin Aeroproducts prop is the best in 1/72nd scale.

Good to knew to nest time. Today I reshaped the paddleblade propeller carefully with wetsandingpaper. So now tihs aircraft has the Aeroproduct prop.

I also "painted" the flaps wiht natural metal on those surfaces that where unpainted...

Cheers / André