Are Special Hobby mainstream now?

SeaVenom

The Rumourmonger

What kits have you heard about from the manufacturers, your mum's cousin vinny, or in a dream you had the other night? Post your thoughts, requests for confirmation, or just baseless speculation here...

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

4 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

They seem to use a lot less resin and much more plastic (which I think is a good thing) in their latest releases like the Tempest and Vampires etc.

I don't have the Tempest yet but I'm definitely planning on doing so.

I do have their Vampires, Fouga Magister/Zephyr and Mirage F.1's, these are excellent kits and are by anyone's benchmark, mainstream kits, apparently their forthcoming SMB.2 Super Mystere will be along the same lines which pleases me greatly.

It would seem that their new kits of more popular subjects will be along these lines (see the render for their P-40N here), which gives me hope that if they were to do something like a Venom, small tank Lightning or bomber canopied Canberra they too would be along the same lines.

That said, they're still producing stuff along the lines of which we are accustomed, there's no reason to assume they won't continue to do so especially for the more niche subjects.

So to answer your question, yes but no (trying not to sound like Vicky Pollard).

Edited by Wez
added text and link

I have built their older kits (all in 72nd scale ) like the tempest with heavy resin usage and vacuform canopy and I have also built their newer offerings like the Gnat and my opinion is  the kits they make now are very comparable to airfix and revell .  Their panel lines are not the finest , in that department , they compare with airfix . But where they beat airfix is the detailed cockpits . Their choice of subject is very good and unique but here we begin to witness a compromise - whereas the special hobby of old often offered models that no mainstream manufacture ever would , as they go mainstream , we will be seeing more and more subjects that are not exotic/unusual  in a manner of speaking and perhaps have already been kitted by some one else .  I think subjects such as Flettner FI-285 or Lloyd C.V biplane are a thing of past from them now .... 

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

I have built their older kits (all in 72nd scale ) like the tempest with heavy resin usage and vacuform canopy and I have also built their newer offerings like the Gnat and my opinion is  the kits they make now are very comparable to airfix and revell .  Their panel lines are not the finest , in that department , they compare with airfix . But where they beat airfix is the detailed cockpits . Their choice of subject is very good and unique but here we begin to witness a compromise - whereas the special hobby of old often offered models that no mainstream manufacture ever would , as they go mainstream , we will be seeing more and more subjects that are not exotic/unusual  in a manner of speaking and perhaps have already been kitted by some one else .  I think subjects such as Flettner FI-285 or Lloyd C.V biplane are a thing of past from them now .... 

The Gnat completely passed me by for some reason Basuroy, what's it like?  Does anyone do decals for it in Indian service as the two boxings I can see don't feature Indian markings?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wez said:

The Gnat completely passed me by for some reason Basuroy, what's it like?  Does anyone do decals for it in Indian service as the two boxings I can see don't feature Indian markings?

It is a very  very good kit , the cockpit is well detailed for 72nd and all it needs are some belts . The panel lines are of similar finesse as the current airfix kits , that is not as fine as tamiya etc . Absolutely no fit issues encountered .  Good selection of ordinance - especially 2 different pairs of rocket pods that are on par with high end resin stuff and will come in use with other soviet airplanes.

Decals as per my knowledge can be found in the DP Casper forgotten war sheet - India Pakistan 1971 war ; I used that sheet myself  .  However all you get in that sheet are just roundels and fin flash so if you have roundels of the correct size (can be tough because this being a small airplane , the roundels are small too and we cannot use a generic mig-21 sheet for the roundels ) , you can give it a shot. I have twice confirmed with Special hobby that they will release an Indian boxing but no idea about date . We operated these airplanes in some colorful schemes(for war games) and maybe they will put in decals for those . 

PS: If you intend to build a couple or more of Indian or Pakistani types , I will suggest you get that DP Casper sheet as it has markings for 20 airplanes - 10 each Indian and Pakistan . And costs about as much( I paid around 12 euro ; purchased from martola .com ) as some sheets that have 3/4 marking for only a single type of airplane . 

here is the one I built -
WP_20160310_15_52_01_Pro_zpsdxzkgd5c.jpg

WP_20160310_15_54_00_Pro_zpsgmzdq5uo.jpg

Edited by Basuroy
  • Like 4

Thanks Basuroy, I was hoping for something more colourful war-games aircraft.

As for roundels, I have a sheet by Bright Spark which provides roundels and fin flashes as well as some titling in Sanskrit I think, don't know how generally available it is.

Special Hobby have certainly whetted my appetite for their kits with the Mirage F.1 and Zephyr/Magister.  They and Airfix are the only companies with forthcoming releases that I'm looking forward to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wez said:

Thanks Basuroy, I was hoping for something more colourful war-games aircraft.

As for roundels, I have a sheet by Bright Spark which provides roundels and fin flashes as well as some titling in Sanskrit I think, don't know how generally available it is.

Special Hobby have certainly whetted my appetite for their kits with the Mirage F.1 and Zephyr/Magister.  They and Airfix are the only companies with forthcoming releases that I'm looking forward to.

Yes the brightspark sheet is famous indeed among us Indian modellers , if you have that then no need for DP Casper as that sheet too has only roundels and flashes and nothing special  .  

I have ordered Cobra helicopter and the Magister kit , they too are one of my favourite brands right now :)

Just now, Basuroy said:

Yes the brightspark sheet is famous indeed among us Indian modellers , if you have that then no need for DP Casper as that sheet too has only roundels and flashes and nothing special  .  

I have ordered Cobra helicopter and the Magister kit , they too are one of my favourite brands right now :)

Glad you've got the Bright Spark decals, I wouldn't be willing to part with mine.

I meant to say earlier, nice Gnat!

You won't be disappointed with the Magister, lovely little kit and definitely the best one in 1/72nd, I keep snapping them up when I see them, just want some more standard unit Armee de L'Air markings to become available!

The Special Hobby Super Mystere is their next kit on my horizon.

The new special hobby kits can come with no resin etc. The Tempest came in a boxing with all the goodies, and then a boxing without which is what I prefer.

Having built the Gnat the fit and parts were a pleasure to work with. Have the Magister and Zephyr and both great kits.

g1.JPG

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SeaVenom said:

I suppose so but we're talking about upcoming kits like the Whirlwind etc.

Yes we are, and in answer to the question I does look like they are becoming more mainstream and it is most welcome.

13 hours ago, Wez said:

I don't have the Tempest yet but I'm definitely planning on doing so.

I do have their Vampires, Fouga Magister/Zephyr and Mirage F.1's, these are excellent kits and are by anyone's benchmark, mainstream kits, apparently their forthcoming SMB.2 Super Mystere will be along the same lines which pleases me greatly.

It would seem that their new kits of more popular subjects will be along these lines (see the render for their P-40N here), which gives me hope that if they were to do something like a Venom, small tank Lightning or bomber canopied Canberra they too would be along the same lines.

That said, they're still producing stuff along the lines of which we are accustomed, there's no reason to assume they won't continue to do so especially for the more niche subjects.

So to answer your question, yes but no (trying not to sound like Vicky Pollard).

I didn't realise they were doing a Mystere.   What scale will it be?

5 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I didn't realise they were doing a Mystere.   What scale will it be?

1/72nd scale see here and 1/48th see here

Personally I'm hoping for the 1/72nd kit first, I could easily find a dozen to do just in French markings but I'd only ever buy one in the larger failing eyesight and fumbly of fingers scale.

14 hours ago, Wez said:

1/72nd scale see here and 1/48th see here

Personally I'm hoping for the 1/72nd kit first, I could easily find a dozen to do just in French markings but I'd only ever buy one in the larger failing eyesight and fumbly of fingers scale.

Great.  I vaguely remember having the old Heller kit many years ago.

I have Now 3/4 built there Tempest Mk2. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Yes there is a very detailed cockpit of which most cannot be seen. Main U/C bay walls are very much a guess as to where they should be positioned a little trial and error required here. Upper wing was wider in chord by approximately 2-3 mm therefore requiring trimming and producing a thick trailing edge to the wing. Instructions show that you have two options for the decking behind the cockpit seat oh no you are not supplied with the early version. It is just not in the Box or mentioned at all in the sprue layouts. Prop blades don't have a very positive fit to the spinner base.  Next I tried to fit the fuselage to the wing assembly again however the bottom of the cockpit is to wide to fit between the wheel wells by about 2-3 mm, so it was time to chop off the bottom of the cockpit which I had spent a lot of time on. oh well you can not see that anyway. Looking at the model from the front shows that the centre of the wings have a aheaderal which should be completely flat across the centre part of the wing. This took some correcting with boiling water and singed fingers. Radiator housing are difficult to fit, poor alignment and took a couple of hours to achieve a reasonable fit. Engine nacelle fit to the rest of fuselage and leading part of the wing are a bit of a challenge. Good surface detail though. Up to Airfix standards no way.

Yours a very frustrated and disappointed Simon, however I only paid £60 for the kit.

The Vampire has one or two fit issues but sounds as if the Tempest isn't quite shake and bake Tamiya too.  Maybe they're "approaching" mainstream but not quite there yet?

Mind you mainstrean companies like Hasegawa, Revell and Airfix can have fit issues also.