NZ Avenger TT

Lovely build and finish, and I like the way the folded wings show off the target tug stripes.

Do you know how he blanked out the turret? I've been contemplating build a TT for a few years and have been stymied by turret plating.

Tell John I think it is GORGEOUS. :wub:

he's built a very PRISTINE  IMMACULATE  Avenger. 

thank you for posting it ...

KUDOS.:worthy::worthy:

(LIKED IT A LOT but miserly 50 LIKES  :howzat::think:)   will return to amend it later !!!

Hi - thanks for the kind words - Marc's photography is very flattering....

47 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Do you know how he blanked out the turret? I've been contemplating build a TT for a few years and have been stymied by turret plating.

The turret is blanked off with a bit of clear plastic packaging from something like a shirt box, rolled around something of suitable diameter. I used clear plastic so I could see through it to cut it to the correct shape while it was placed over the hole, then attached with superglue...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cynicaljohnny said:

Hi - thanks for the kind words - Marc's photography is very flattering....

The turret is blanked off with a bit of clear plastic packaging from something like a shirt box, rolled around something of suitable diameter. I used clear plastic so I could see through it to cut it to the correct shape while it was placed over the hole, then attached with superglue...

Very cunning, I'll certainly give it a try, when I make mine. Ventura decals is assume?

Wow.  That's a real beauty.  Never seen an Avenger in TT markings before.  Might have to look in to something similar as a future project.  Was this aircraft Navy or Air Force? 

8 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Ventura decals is assume?

Mainly - used various sets to get the fonts and codes as close as I could - Harvard/P-51 sets for fuselage serials, 24" code set for wings, with a couple of numbers modified, and the Fern set for the roundels. There should be stenciling as well, but couldn't find anything suitable.....

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Was this aircraft Navy or Air Force? 

Royal New Zealand Air Force, circa 1958-59, although most my reference photos were after its first restoration about 1980ish - this aircraft is still in the Air Force Museum, having never left RNZAF ownership, but is now painted in its WWII era colours....

• Like 1