The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

18 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I could.  I didn't want to clutter your thread...but since you're the one asking...  :lol:

I was definitely a Phantom trip...

- 1/72 Fujimi RF-4E  (I've been wanting to add a recon variant to the stash for awhile, and I wasn't going to say no at only $8).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 F.3 "Tigers"  (Like the RF, addition was unavoidable @ $8...considering I've been watching the Brit Phantoms going on Ebay for $20-30 typically).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 FG.1 "Silver Jubilee"  ("Was" unopened.  Doubly stoked to have found a FAA version.  At $12 it was impossible to pass on.)

- 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J  (I was just looking through the box.  Some sprues had been clipped, but looked like all the parts were there.  Decals were shot.  I was going to put it back on the table, but as we were chatting about F-4s...he says $10!  Um, sold. :lol: )

- 1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G "NATO"  (At $15 it was too cheap to pass on, and a different configuration to boot.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EA-6B (snagged for $10 w/ the purchase of the Orion.  Double bonus that the kit comes w/ VAQ-135 decals, along with a couple sets of aftermarket ones.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EP-3E Orion (Accidental score.  I didn't see this one the first time, when I pulled it out of the stash the guy mentioned I'd be lucky to see another one.  I'm thinking, "What's so uncommon about the P-3C?"  Then I looked at the box again.  :o  I inadvertently grabbed the box on top of the P-3C.  Being a sucker for special mission aircraft I bit the bullet, knowing how hard it has been to try to get my hands on an ES-3A.  Not a steal on the price, but fair based off what they were going on eBay.)

- 1/48 Classic Airframes TA-4J "Aggressor"  (Like the others, too cheap to pass up a fairly unique variation @ $15).

-1/20 Tamiya Lotus 107B  (I was looking at the Lotus as it was a decent price @ $20...I wasn't planning on the others, but the guy made me an offer for all 3 F1 kits for the cost of what others there were wanting for a single. :lol: )
-1/20 Tamiya Williams FW13B

-1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F1-2000

But none of them are in real money!

Two GWH MiGs for eight quid is a good deal though, even I have to admit that, but the rest?

😀 Andy

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 0:42 PM, PlaStix said:

Great job on the paintwork Craig! The subtle effect with the lightening of the centre of the panels works a treat. Looks good with the additional painted areas too. :worthy:

:blush:

Well you and Glynn are waaayyy too kind but thank you. There are much more talented brush painters than me out there but, for what it's worth:

As I don't have an airbrush I do try to get a few of the effects created by the airbrush users but I have to use other means.

On aircraft I usually do pre-shading - which is normally mostly done by airbrush users. To do mine I usually use very thinned Revell's Anthracite Acrylic paint (thinned with water) and apply it with the narrowest flat brush I have. I have used a fine pointed brush in some instances where the detail is finer.

On tanks I don't normally do any pre-shading but apply just thinned layers of the base colour until I get the coverage I want.

On aircraft I next apply thinned layers of whatever base colour I'm using and I build up the layers until I can only vaguely see the pre-shading showing through. If I'm lucky it ends up looking a little like Craig's lovely paintwork. Following the main colours I follow up with the camo colours if there are any.

On tanks, I next apply a thin wash of a medium grey (Revell's Gunship Grey or similar) to tone down the base colour. This often pools a little around detail and in panel lines. As I use acrylic paints I can get 'tide marks' on the surface as the paint dries. I try to watch for these appearing and gently brush them out with a soft brush.

I like to get the panels lines defined next on aircraft - usually by applying a very thin wash into the panel lines themselves using a very fine pointed brush. If any does escape the lines I use my finger to remove it, usually in the direction of the airflow to sort of start the weathering effects. The wash I use is so thin it often doesn't leave a trace. When the base colours are light I tend to use medium greys for the line wash and Anthracite on darker colours.

On tanks my next stage is applying a thin wash of Revell's Anthracite around raised detail and into panel lines. 

Finally the dry-brushing on both aircraft and tanks is done with a lightened version of the base colours. Usually I mix the base colours with a little white until I get, what I think, is a suitably lighter version. I don't thin this paint at all. Then, as Glynn suggested, it's a matter of getting some paint onto a soft brush (I use slightly worn, flat brushes from Humbrol) and then wiping off most of the paint on kitchen roll until there is only a trace left on the brush. This is the gently brushed over the surface areas where it will mostly just catch the edges and tops of any detail - thus highlighting the detail better. If you are careful you can work it on surface areas too to again get the appearance Craig achieved on his Mig. As Glynn suggested always practice on some scrap first.

Sorry for the long post in your thread Craig but I hope it's of some use to someone.

Looking forward to seeing your Mig with the decals on - good luck!

Kind regards,

Stix

Great stuff Stix, thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

I could.  I didn't want to clutter your thread...but since you're the one asking...  :lol:

I was definitely a Phantom trip...

- 1/72 Fujimi RF-4E  (I've been wanting to add a recon variant to the stash for awhile, and I wasn't going to say no at only $8).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 F.3 "Tigers"  (Like the RF, addition was unavoidable @ $8...considering I've been watching the Brit Phantoms going on Ebay for $20-30 typically).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 FG.1 "Silver Jubilee"  ("Was" unopened.  Doubly stoked to have found a FAA version.  At $12 it was impossible to pass on.)

- 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J  (I was just looking through the box.  Some sprues had been clipped, but looked like all the parts were there.  Decals were shot.  I was going to put it back on the table, but as we were chatting about F-4s...he says $10!  Um, sold. :lol: )

- 1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G "NATO"  (At $15 it was too cheap to pass on, and a different configuration to boot.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EA-6B (snagged for $10 w/ the purchase of the Orion.  Double bonus that the kit comes w/ VAQ-135 decals, along with a couple sets of aftermarket ones.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EP-3E Orion (Accidental score.  I didn't see this one the first time, when I pulled it out of the stash the guy mentioned I'd be lucky to see another one.  I'm thinking, "What's so uncommon about the P-3C?"  Then I looked at the box again.  :o  I inadvertently grabbed the box on top of the P-3C.  Being a sucker for special mission aircraft I bit the bullet, knowing how hard it has been to try to get my hands on an ES-3A.  Not a steal on the price, but fair based off what they were going on eBay.)

- 1/48 Classic Airframes TA-4J "Aggressor"  (Like the others, too cheap to pass up a fairly unique variation @ $15).

-1/20 Tamiya Lotus 107B  (I was looking at the Lotus as it was a decent price @ $20...I wasn't planning on the others, but the guy made me an offer for all 3 F1 kits for the cost of what others there were wanting for a single. :lol: )
-1/20 Tamiya Williams FW13B

-1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F1-2000

And I thought that I'd had a good day!

No nothing about the cars but you got some good deals on the aircraft, especially the F-4J and TF-104G, well done.

Yeah, I was being a cheap sweetheart for the most part.  I've probably already got enough kits for the next decade w/ my current sloth build rate...so I really don't need to add to it.  But if I can pick up something at 1/4 of the going rate, then I'm not against squirreling something away for awhile. :lol:  I went down w/ money in my pocket...just in case.  The bonus on the F-4J is all I need are stencil & insignia decals...as my Eduard F-4J boxing has a bunch of unit decals I won't be using.

The MiG is looking mighty fine by the way.  :cheers:   I'm not typically a big fan of panel washes...but your toned down wash works very well to my eyes.  The stark black washes standout too much for my tastes.  Your's has me almost contemplating a try in the future, though I'll probably try to go even a little lighter/more subdued.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, helios16v said:

The MiG is looking mighty fine by the way.  :cheers:   I'm not typically a big fan of panel washes...but your toned down wash works very well to my eyes.  The stark black washes standout too much for my tastes.  Your's has me almost contemplating a try in the future, though I'll probably try to go even a little lighter/more subdued.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I agree with you on panel washes, they can look too stark and unrealistic, it's all a matter of personal taste of course but in my view less is definitely more.

I've done some more on the beast today and have weathered the national markings a bit to make them look used, after all these things were travelling at serious speed. I have seen other builds where the airframe is weathered but the markings left pristine and it just does not look right at all. This is how the tail looks now.

DSC05182_zpsrdfh5lpi.jpg

And a closer look at the marking.

DSC05186_zpsr1z9gi0s.jpg

Looks suitably used.

I have done similar but not identical weathering on all the others too, here is one of the wing stars.

DSC05185_zpszsuu0p6b.jpg

I have used Tamiya weathering stuff to help create that unique colouring that is found on the hot bits of jet engines and the panels that surround them.

DSC05184_zps18lgcmnu.jpg

The photo doesn't really show it in it's true light but I hope you get the idea.

I have added the decals to the nose so all the decals are now on, of course after I had added them I noticed that the "1" is 1mm taller than the "2", bugger! I initially tried to correct this by painting the top of the number (as can be seen in the picture below) but I was not happy with it and have since removed the offending part of the decal and used a very fine black pen to put the line in on the top of the number.

DSC05183_zpsyahh50ww.jpg

You will also notice the "excellent aircraft" award, this is one of the reasons I wanted to model this particular aircraft and that i think this is an "excellent kit" and therefore deserved the award!

I have given her a coat of matt varnish and removed the canopy masking, always satisfying, and will paint on the germetika (pink goo) soon.

More soon, hopefully!

Craig.

• Like 7

Love what you have done with whole thing, decal weathering is making it look like it has been used which I think is a must for a MiG

You are on the home straight...

'Loving this

• Like 1

Nice.  I like what you did with the markings.  I used some light grey pastel to tone down the markings on a SBD Dauntless I finished back up in December, as I thought the decals stood out too much even though all I had done w/ a fairly minor pre-shade.  

• Like 1

Craig the worn markings simply look real, excellent job! I love the weathering on the hot metal area too and I know what you mean about photos showing one thing and in reality it can be different. Will you be sticking any weapons on it or is this solely a recon Mig? (apologies for not knowing the basics on this one!)

David

• Like 2

Thanks Lex and Arnie, very glad that you like her.

No pictures today I'm afraid but here is a bit of an update on progress.

Well the Foxbat has grown a pair of legs and I'm pleased to say that she is not a tail sitter, mind you I did put a LOT of weight in the nose. The main gear legs are a bit fiddly and come in around 5 pieces but once assembled they look the part and despite not following the instructions and adding them during the construction of the fuselage as recommended I get them to fit in place without too much hassle.

The canopy is finished, complete with pink goo, and should go on tomorrow. This only leaves the camera ports and pitot so hopefully by the end of tomorrow she will be done, I know I can't believe it either! Will be at my model club tomorrow evening so even if I do finish her there probably will not be any pics until Saturday, sorry.

• Like 2

The beast is tamed!!

Finally got everything done and some pictures taken and I have to say I am quite happy with how she has turned out, she is not an award winner but I like her, and she is BIG! Anyway here are some shots of the final additions.

The all important Master pitot, an absolute must for this kit.

DSC05197_zps3exzftcm.jpg

Also replaced the other probe on the nose with a needle cut to length and fitted into the base supplied by ICM, much better and more to scale than the kit one.

DSC05198_zpsyuooqsdc.jpg

The shackles for the bombs/pylons were added to the wing undersides.

DSC05204_zpsr7467vn6.jpg

The camera ports added to the nose.

DSC05203_zps1ercb85k.jpg

The undercarriage added.

DSC05205_zpsu3kczfwp.jpg

DSC05201_zps8aoyesop.jpg

The canopy fixed in place.

DSC05199_zpsrm0omre7.jpg

And a shot up the finished engines.

DSC05212_zpsu8bajuin.jpg

And that's it! Thanks so much to all of you who have looked in on this build and encouraged me and offered advice, it's what makes this forum so good. Special thanks to @Col. for hosting this fantastic GB, really looking forward to the 60's version too! Think I might start another one here as well, have to decide soon though!

Nearly forgot to add a shot of the complete beast! Difficult to take a good one as she is a big girl!

DSC05207_zpsjkskjuh9.jpg

As usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received, and thanks again for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 12

I have not followed his one much Craig it was started way before I joined the GB, but all I can say that this model is really impressive and very much up to your usual high standards. Very well done indeed.

• Like 1

hi Craig,

That looks superb especially the cockpit and engines. Make sure you bring it along to the club meeting on 26 May please so that i can take a proper look at it.

What will the butterfly land on next, i wonder?

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Craig! Well......what can I say? A superb build thread has resulted in an absolutely stunning Foxbat. Your build, painting and finishing are absolutely top notch! Very, very well done. :worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks very much guys, all your comments are very much appreciated, and thank you all for your encouragement along the way. I have really enjoyed this build and would recommend this kit to all of you.

@exdraken, Werner I look forward to seeing your completed.

I am doing my best ;)

what is up next?

you could still start an Aardvark in the respective GB and I guess you'd easily overtake me :cool:

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1