The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

My first entry into this excellent GB is one from the "other side" of the Iron Curtain and a very iconic Cold War beast it is, ICM's new 1/48 Mig-25 RBT. Now I have been watching a couple of excellent WIP's of this beast and it seems that OOTB it is more akin to the RB version, that suits me fine as both RB's and RBT's were used by GSFG during the 1970's. Equipped for very high speed bombing missions (it's where the "B" comes from in it's version) as well as the usual reconnaissance missions they formed a vital part of the the WARPAC military machine. An excellent overview of their operations can be found here; http://www.16va.be/3.4_la_reco_part4_eng.html . This website is excellent for info and photo's of Soviet aircraft in Germany during the Cold War.

Here are the ubiquitous box + contents pictures.

The box.

DSC04867_zpsfk5auoer.jpg

It's contents.

DSC04868_zpsxaowwlks.jpg

And the only extras I have for it (so far!), the excellent decal sheets by Begemot.

DSC04869_zpsiuqomvvb.jpg

I was very tempted by the Bulgarian option but I don't think they started using them until the 80's, so Soviet it shall be. I'm not sure exactly when I shall start this as I'm in the middle of an F-16 for the STGB at the minute but I can't see me holding off for long.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 10

Great choice. My new year's resolution was to achieve a net reduction in the stash (through building more and buying less) by the end of the year, but I'm going to have to add a MiG-25 to it. I really seem to be on a Soviet aircraft thing right now!

• Like 2

Cool! I'm enjoying the variety of Soviet aviation subjects coming through in this GB and the MiG-25 is no exception. The ICM kit certainly looks to be a good one and I'm sure there will be plenty of us watching your progress with thoughts of adding an example to the stash ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Great choice. My new year's resolution was to achieve a net reduction in the stash (through building more and buying less) by the end of the year, but I'm going to have to add a MiG-25 to it. I really seem to be on a Soviet aircraft thing right now!

I like your resolution ;) and you could always buy books and AM... 

the 25 is a must though :devil:

• Like 1

Excellent choice Craig! I look forward to it coming together, I guess its probably as big as some 1/32 models. I'm also interested in how those Begemot stencils turn out, hopefully different to the 1/72 Mig-21 set I used a while back, nothing would stop them silvering even if setting them in future/Klear :doh: Hopefully these will be a different story for your build though! :popcorn:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zebra said:

I really seem to be on a Soviet aircraft thing right now!

I can't see a problem with that personally, other than it will make your resolution tricky to stick to!

I had a similar idea but with kits like the Yak-28 out (I'm holding out for the Brewer D) and the upcoming Il-28 it's not going to be easy.

1 hour ago, mirageiv said:

I guess its probably as big as some 1/32 models.

Yes David it is, it's the biggest model I have tackled in a while. And I'm really looking forward to it! Don't tell Trickyrich but I might put the F-16 aside for a week or two and get started on this beast ;).

Thanks for all the interest guys, I shall try not to let you down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hewy said:

That link you've got in there craig makes for great reading, and theres a bonus bit in there about yak28s ,cheers,

Glynn

Yes it's a good site Glynn, lots of useful and interesting information. I like the story of the American team trying to get pictures of the Foxbats on their initial deployment. I will be adding a Yak-28 to the collection so as to build one from GSFG, I like their camo scheme a lot.

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Beat me to it! :lol:

Don't worry Dave, there is always room for another Mig-25!

Especially if your F-16's are anything to go by.

• Like 2

Glad to have you aboard John.

Well I couldn't help myself and have made a start on the beast, not a huge amount done due to the shift I have been on this week but it is a start nonetheless. I have to say that I am impressed so far with the fit  of the few parts I have put together, lets hope that continues for the rest of the build! Anyway here are a couple of pics of the progress so far.

First off some inspiration and help.

DSC04874_zps3ssdzxtr.jpg

Cockpit parts after a coat of that lovely turquoise colour so beloved by Soviet aircraft manufacturers, this is an Akan paint and sprayed very well indeed.

DSC04870_zpswo8pnfv7.jpg

A close up of the nicely detailed instrument panel.

DSC04871_zps8cn9yqgz.jpg

One of the intakes and the nose wheel bay  next.

DSC04872_zpsbzux0hel.jpg

And the main gear bays assembled and fitted to the fuselage.

DSC04873_zps2hltfvxu.jpg

Thats it so far, hopefully I will get some work done on her over the weekend.

Thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

Looks a belter, better detail than the Condor MiG-25. Good start modelling minion! Nice book too, I was looking to buy one until I saw the price! Following this one intently 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exdraken said:

nice start!

the cockpit detail is far better than many resin pits I have I 'd say....

it is a big kit with lots of stuff to do, but it builds well! enjoy it!

Its certainty better than the one in the yak kit, ive got this kit and never opened it, also have the revell one ,might have to burn that one now,

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

hmmm this one is very tempting but I have to show restraint ..........will have to watch your build instead!  :popcorn:

how long are you going to restrain yourself Rich? you know you're going o build it anyway! :P

58 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Its certainty better than the one in the yak kit, ive got this kit and never opened it, also have the revell one ,might have to burn that one now,

the Revell one in 1/48?? I guess that is best used a s a source of styrene plates..... sorry!

disposed of mine already when the KH one was imminent, although I never bought it afterwards.... 

I built the ESCI/ Italeri MiG-23 though already knowing about the Trumpeter one. that needs a LOT of motivation, trust me ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

how long are you going to restrain yourself Rich? you know you're going o build it anyway! :P

that's easy, I don't have the time or the space at the moment, but........  :D

• Like 1

Good start Craig - I'm building this one myself for the site here, and if anyone wants to read my review of the kit, it's here.  I'm a bit further ahead of you in places, a bit behind in others.  I don't know about you, but either Alclad's Stainless Steel is a bit too blue, or I need to go to the doctor about my eyes.  I've settled on aluminium in the end for the intakes and gear bays :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, exdraken said:

the cockpit detail is far better than many resin pits I have I 'd say....

I agree Werner, I think the cockpit is really good and doesn't need anything else adding except some belts for the ejector seat. I like the work you have been doing on yours, really good mate.

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hmmm this one is very tempting but I have to show restraint

Just give in and get it over and done with instead of pretending to have restraint for a week or two and then buying it. You will not be disappointed Rich it really is a cracking kit.

20 hours ago, Mike said:

I don't know about you, but either Alclad's Stainless Steel is a bit too blue

Never tried Alclad Mike as I only use acrylic paint. I can however highly recommend Vallejo's metal colours, I have used their steel on my intakes and undercarriage bays and I am happy with how it looks, I have taken a couple of pictures and will hopefully post them later.

Thanks to all of you for showing interest in the build, hopefully I won't disappoint you!

Craig.

Looks a lovely kit…sorely tempted to get one and enter it either for this GB or the upcoming 'from Russia with love' GB…though i've already 3 kits planned for that :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more progress mate!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Looks a lovely kit…sorely tempted to get one and enter it either for this GB or the upcoming 'from Russia with love' GB…though i've already 3 kits planned for that :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more progress mate!

Brilliant! Three kits planned but still looking! Can see why stashes grow and grow 

• Like 1