The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

one question regarding the curtain in your canopy: might they be only used in two-seaters for night flying training?

The curtain is there on the single seaters too Werner, you can see it in the photo of the real canopy interior a page or 2 back. As I say I think it's to protect the pilot from the blast of his dose on "instant sunshine".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Nice progess Craig. Are the ventral strakes in bare metal too?

Speaking of metals what brand are they? Apologies if you've already said...

Thanks Tony,

Yes the strakes are bare metal too mate, at least they are on the ones I have seen. The paint I have used is dark aluminium from the Vallejo acrylic metal colours range, I really like them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

As I say I think it's to protect the pilot from the blast of his dose on "instant sunshine".

Interesting topic, just had a thought- I wonder if they were lead lined or some special material because I dont think a piece of fabric would do much in the way of protecting from nuclear blast wave energy rays? 

Perhaps it was a 'placebo effect' just to give the pilots confidence? 

• Like 1

Great job on the paintwork Craig! The subtle effect with the lightening of the centre of the panels works a treat. Looks good with the additional painted areas too. :worthy:

On 13/04/2017 at 3:25 PM, Hewy said:

Yes val it's  called dry brushing, is this what you  mean,, dip the end of your brush in a lighter colour to that which  is painted with the detail rub most of the paint off the brush onto a paper towel  and gently flick the brush over the high detail parts or corners and edges a few times , remember very little paint, you hardly want to see any coming off the brush ,find an old scrap piece on which to practice, if you didn't mean this ,and you meant somthing else " plastix" is in my regard the best brush painter, he doesn't use an airbrush,,so gently  quiz him for tips im sure he'll oblige.

Glynn

On 13/04/2017 at 3:34 PM, modelling minion said:

Thanks again guys.

Valkyrie I think Glynn's (Hewy) description of dry brushing should cover what you are looking for, and I also agree with him that @PlaStix is the master of brush painting, he is also very helpful and willing to share how he does things.

:blush:

Well you and Glynn are waaayyy too kind but thank you. There are much more talented brush painters than me out there but, for what it's worth:

As I don't have an airbrush I do try to get a few of the effects created by the airbrush users but I have to use other means.

On aircraft I usually do pre-shading - which is normally mostly done by airbrush users. To do mine I usually use very thinned Revell's Anthracite Acrylic paint (thinned with water) and apply it with the narrowest flat brush I have. I have used a fine pointed brush in some instances where the detail is finer.

On tanks I don't normally do any pre-shading but apply just thinned layers of the base colour until I get the coverage I want.

On aircraft I next apply thinned layers of whatever base colour I'm using and I build up the layers until I can only vaguely see the pre-shading showing through. If I'm lucky it ends up looking a little like Craig's lovely paintwork. Following the main colours I follow up with the camo colours if there are any.

On tanks, I next apply a thin wash of a medium grey (Revell's Gunship Grey or similar) to tone down the base colour. This often pools a little around detail and in panel lines. As I use acrylic paints I can get 'tide marks' on the surface as the paint dries. I try to watch for these appearing and gently brush them out with a soft brush.

I like to get the panels lines defined next on aircraft - usually by applying a very thin wash into the panel lines themselves using a very fine pointed brush. If any does escape the lines I use my finger to remove it, usually in the direction of the airflow to sort of start the weathering effects. The wash I use is so thin it often doesn't leave a trace. When the base colours are light I tend to use medium greys for the line wash and Anthracite on darker colours.

On tanks my next stage is applying a thin wash of Revell's Anthracite around raised detail and into panel lines. 

Finally the dry-brushing on both aircraft and tanks is done with a lightened version of the base colours. Usually I mix the base colours with a little white until I get, what I think, is a suitably lighter version. I don't thin this paint at all. Then, as Glynn suggested, it's a matter of getting some paint onto a soft brush (I use slightly worn, flat brushes from Humbrol) and then wiping off most of the paint on kitchen roll until there is only a trace left on the brush. This is the gently brushed over the surface areas where it will mostly just catch the edges and tops of any detail - thus highlighting the detail better. If you are careful you can work it on surface areas too to again get the appearance Craig achieved on his Mig. As Glynn suggested always practice on some scrap first.

Sorry for the long post in your thread Craig but I hope it's of some use to someone.

Looking forward to seeing your Mig with the decals on - good luck!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

By the way craig, apologies for replying to vals question on dry brushing, I'd been flitting between threads and i forgot i was on yours not mine

Glynn .. ps love the canopy detail

And what a great little tutorial there from stix for all of us.,  cheers stix

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Sorry for the long post in your thread Craig but I hope it's of some use to someone.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

By the way craig, apologies for replying to vals question on dry brushing, I'd been flitting between threads and i forgot i was on yours not mine

Glynn .. ps love the canopy detail

And what a great little tutorial there from stix for all of us.,  cheers stix

No apologies necessary from either of you, tips are useful to all of us and the more threads they appear in the more people will get the benefit of them. And I agree with Glynn, the tutorial from Stix is very useful indeed.

Thanks for your kind comments (all of you who have replied), the decals are going on but it might take a while as there are loads of them!

• Like 3

Update time!

All the stencils have been applied and I have got the national markings on, the only decals I have yet to apply are the aircraft's bort number because I don't have any in the right size and style (I want to do red 21 which has a thin black border) but I'm hoping that a trip to the Milton Keynes show on Sunday will bear fruit, along with accidental extra plastic!

Here is a picture of the beast complete with big red stars.

DSC05167_zpspkuxlwnc.jpg

I have used Begemot's decals for the national markings too as the kit ones seem a bit too big and bright. The decals behave quite well and have settled down nicely. I am now in the process of giving her a panel line wash using thinned down Revell anthracite which works well and isn't too stark. Here are some pictures giving a kind of before and after view of how the weathering makes things look, first off the upper wing surfaces.

DSC05168_zpskjn61fjz.jpg

And the under-surfaces which have received the wash.

DSC05171_zpstcrbqeqp.jpg

And the port vertical tail before weathering.

DSC05169_zps7etio2tl.jpg

And the starboard one after.

DSC05170_zpscedwplul.jpg

And finally a picture of the lower rear starboard fuselage which is part way through the process.

DSC05172_zpsn7jdhhr2.jpg

I will get the wash finished tomorrow and hopefully get the decals sorted on Sunday and then it's just the little bits which take me an eternity!

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 9

hi Craig,

That is looking very nice indeed even though i thought you would have finished it already ^_^

I do like the faded wash. Far better than most you see on the circuit

Andy

• Like 1

This is looking fantastic Craig, the subtle wash and shading are bringing it to life very well indeed. Hope you get the bort numbers sorted (and maybe a few kits too :whistle:) and I look forward to it all coming together. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2017 at 9:30 AM, mirageiv said:

Hope you get the bort numbers sorted (and maybe a few kits too :whistle:) and I look forward to it all coming together. 

Thanks David, Col and all.

Not done much theses past couple of days as I've been outside making the most of the nice weather but had a VERY successful shopping trip to the Milton Keynes show today and got a Begemot sheet for the Su-15 which has the right numbers in the right style and size so I'm sorted in that respect now, just need to pull my finger out! May have also added to the stash slightly, will expand on if pushed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks David, Col and all.

Not done much theses past couple of days as I've been outside making the most of the nice weather but had a VERY successful shopping trip to the Milton Keynes show today and got a Begemot sheet for the Su-15 which has the right numbers in the right style and size so I'm sorted in that respect now, just need to pull my finger out! May have also added to the stash slightly, will expand on if pushed.

Push given, what you get:P

• Like 2

Oh alright then, if you insist.

2 Monogram F-102 Delta Daggers (1 with a case X wing 1 with case XX)

1 Monogram F-101 Voodoo

1 Hasegawa TF-104G

1 Hasegawa F-4E

2 GWH Mig-29's (1 x 9-12 Fulcrum A and 1 x 9-13 Fulcrum C) theses were sold as being for spare parts only as they were incomplete, but the only thing missing from both kits is the clear sprue, I got them both for £8! Yes thats for both of them :) . Email sent to GWH for replacements, failing that Pavla do a replacement set meant for the Academy kit which I'm sure I can make fit.

Oh, and the decals too, and a book.

Not a bad visit at all!

• Like 5

Looks like a bit of a century theme going on here ,those great  wall kits are supposedly very good  ,hope you can get the original clears,and will you be saving the 104 for the group build  later this year by any chance? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looks like a bit of a century theme going on here ,those great  wall kits are supposedly very good  ,hope you can get the original clears,and will you be saving the 104 for the group build  later this year by any chance? 

Yes there's definitely a bit of a century theme, one of them might turn up for this GB if I get a move on with the Mig.

The TF-104 will almost certainly make an appearance for the STGB later this year, might even copy David and do a double build.

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning paintwork Craig and I do like your panel line wash - nicely and subtly emphasises the detail. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh alright then, if you insist.

2 Monogram F-102 Delta Daggers (1 with a case X wing 1 with case XX)

1 Monogram F-101 Voodoo

1 Hasegawa TF-104G

1 Hasegawa F-4E

2 GWH Mig-29's (1 x 9-12 Fulcrum A and 1 x 9-13 Fulcrum C) theses were sold as being for spare parts only as they were incomplete, but the only thing missing from both kits is the clear sprue, I got them both for £8! Yes thats for both of them :) . Email sent to GWH for replacements, failing that Pavla do a replacement set meant for the Academy kit which I'm sure I can make fit.

Oh, and the decals too, and a book.

Not a bad visit at all!

SEVEN MODELS????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say no more

Andy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Absolutely stunning paintwork Craig and I do like your panel line wash - nicely and subtly emphasises the detail. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Thanks Stix, coming from you that is high praise indeed. I do like the Revell acrylic paints for this as they thin down very nicely.

39 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Wot 'e said.

John

Thanks John much appreciated.

34 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

SEVEN MODELS????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say no more

Andy

In my defence I did trade some in for some of them, and I doubt even you would pass up 2 GWH Mig-29's for £8.

P.S. can you re-send me our club members contact details again as mine have gone awol.

6 minutes ago, helios16v said:

He got away pretty light I'd say.  I went to a show this weekend w/ the intention of not picking anything up.....and came back w/ 11.  :lol:

Sounds like you did rather well too!

Any chance of sharing your purchases as I've shared mine :) .

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds like you did rather well too!

Any chance of sharing your purchases as I've shared mine :) .

I could.  I didn't want to clutter your thread...but since you're the one asking...  :lol:

I was definitely a Phantom trip...

- 1/72 Fujimi RF-4E  (I've been wanting to add a recon variant to the stash for awhile, and I wasn't going to say no at only $8).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 F.3 "Tigers"  (Like the RF, addition was unavoidable @ $8...considering I've been watching the Brit Phantoms going on Ebay for $20-30 typically).

- 1/72 Fujimi F-4 FG.1 "Silver Jubilee"  ("Was" unopened.  Doubly stoked to have found a FAA version.  At $12 it was impossible to pass on.)

- 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J  (I was just looking through the box.  Some sprues had been clipped, but looked like all the parts were there.  Decals were shot.  I was going to put it back on the table, but as we were chatting about F-4s...he says $10!  Um, sold. :lol: )

- 1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G "NATO"  (At $15 it was too cheap to pass on, and a different configuration to boot.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EA-6B (snagged for $10 w/ the purchase of the Orion.  Double bonus that the kit comes w/ VAQ-135 decals, along with a couple sets of aftermarket ones.)

- 1/72 Hasegawa EP-3E Orion (Accidental score.  I didn't see this one the first time, when I pulled it out of the stash the guy mentioned I'd be lucky to see another one.  I'm thinking, "What's so uncommon about the P-3C?"  Then I looked at the box again.  :o  I inadvertently grabbed the box on top of the P-3C.  Being a sucker for special mission aircraft I bit the bullet, knowing how hard it has been to try to get my hands on an ES-3A.  Not a steal on the price, but fair based off what they were going on eBay.)

- 1/48 Classic Airframes TA-4J "Aggressor"  (Like the others, too cheap to pass up a fairly unique variation @ $15).

-1/20 Tamiya Lotus 107B  (I was looking at the Lotus as it was a decent price @ $20...I wasn't planning on the others, but the guy made me an offer for all 3 F1 kits for the cost of what others there were wanting for a single. :lol: )
-1/20 Tamiya Williams FW13B

-1/20 Tamiya Ferrari F1-2000

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 3