The beast from the East, ICM's new Mig-25 RBT. FINISHED!!!

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Rich, Yes it does make a nice change to get a kit that fits together well, I really have to commend ICM because they done a great job on the engineering of this kit.

I would like to see you build the Mig-31, I've got the AMK kit and might build it for the From Russia With Love GB, though I've got no idea where I will put it and the Foxbat!

And no, there's no need for the whip yet.

I've got the Collect-Aire beasty, which is nice but is starting show it's age, I'll probably get the AMK extras and anything else I can find when I finally get around to building it.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 9:41 AM, Tony Oliver said:

How tough was it to add the nose bumps Craig?

As I have an RBT planned for the '...with love' group build.

The coldwar nose set turned up yesterday but the panel lines and hatch details are a bit soft/wonky. They will look inconsistent with the rest of the kit. Another worry I have just thought about it getting a strong join. Dont want a heavy resin nose snapping off...

If people want to see what the nose looks like - pics in here, page 7,  about 2/3rds of the way down. 

So its either fill and rescribe the resin nose or add the bump to the kit nose? Lesser of two evils...

Or sack it all together and do the hobbyboss mig-31 as not seen one on here yet...? 

Hi Tony,

Building the "bump" under the nose was actually easier than I thought, I had put it off for a while as it's not something I had tackled before but it worked out quite well (I think) and looks the part. I think the scribing on the Cold War nose looks a lot better then mine does but I have seen others tackle it and do a very good job indeed.

I would like to see what you can do with the Mig-31 as I might well be building an AMK one for the same GB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I would like to see what you can do with the Mig-31 as I might well be building an AMK one for the same GB.

Well I guess that's answered the question for me...

Theses a few of these 25's being done now so I'll do something different and not on here yet(?) 

When/if I finally get around to my 25, what I may do is try to add the bump to the kit's nose. If it doesn't work I can fall back on the resin one. 

Ps sorry to hijack your thread Craig...

Tony

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Well I guess that's answered the question for me...

Theses a few of these 25's being done now so I'll do something different and not on here yet(?) 

When/if I finally get around to my 25, what I may do is try to add the bump to the kit's nose. If it doesn't work I can fall back on the resin one. 

Ps sorry to hijack your thread Craig...

Tony

I look forward to seeing whichever you choose.

I think your plan regarding the -25 nose sounds good to me. And no you are not hijacking the thread mate, just asking relevant questions.

Don't think I will get any paint on now as I forgot that I had to re-shape the drag-chute housing which is taking a fair bit of work, and filler!

• Like 1

Looking good Craig. Looks like a fantastic kit. My resolve failed me when I saw it in the LMS recently - my new years resolution to build more than I buy this year is looking a bit shaky (so far it's built 2, bought 3)!

• Like 1

Managed to get the work done on the para-brake housing, it looks like the early style to me but it took a fair amount of filler and sanding. Don't take this as meaning that there is a problem with the housing supplied by ICM but theirs is for a later model then the one I'm building, have a look and tell me what you think.

DSC04997_zpsg2wylcws.jpg

And here it is fitted into place.

DSC04998_zpsrngah0uu.jpg

I have also fitted the front canopy section, which is one of the best fitting of any kit I have ever built.

DSC04999_zpsh4xdgsgd.jpg

I will now spend some time studying pictures to see just how extensive the metallic area on the rear fuselage is and the spraying it.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Hewy said:

It is a good fit that canopy , are they masks by eduard or is that your masking,its good any way 

Glynn

My own masks Glynn, never bother buying masks and just make my own out of Tamiya tape, Andy (Red Dot) will tell you I'm tight but I have heard of people buying masks for kits which then don't fit! Not a problem when you make your own.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

My own masks Glynn, never bother buying masks and just make my own out of Tamiya tape, Andy (Red Dot) will tell you I'm tight but I have heard of people buying masks for kits which then don't fit! Not a problem when you make your own.

11 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Excellent mod work Craig, the new Para-brake looks fantastic. I'm with you on the masks, not one has ever fit for me, often not even close!

You're both tight!

Andy  ;)

• Like 3

Goodness, that all looks so great! I'm always hesitant to invest in ICM kits, but this really looks nice. 

I've always liked the Foxbat, but I never found a kit that I liked. I had the Hasegawa 1/72 model as a kid, but even then I thought it lacking in detail. The Kittyhawk kit looks like a mess. Valkyre's Condor kit looks nice, but I wouldn't mind having at least one of the Soviet giants in 1/48. I hope ICM release an interceptor variant. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Goodness, that all looks so great! I'm always hesitant to invest in ICM kits, but this really looks nice. 

I've always liked the Foxbat, but I never found a kit that I liked. I had the Hasegawa 1/72 model as a kid, but even then I thought it lacking in detail. The Kittyhawk kit looks like a mess. Valkyre's Condor kit looks nice, but I wouldn't mind having at least one of the Soviet giants in 1/48. I hope ICM release an interceptor variant. 

Thanks!

ICM have been a bit hit and miss but the Foxbat is definitely a hit, and considering the size of the kit and the detailing is very good value for money. They are due to bring out more versions and hopefully there will be an interceptor amongst them. Valkyrie is doing a great job of the Condor 1/72 version and this looks like it might be the way to go in 1/72.

• Like 1

This one somehow slipped under my radar, looking good Craig! I have one to build, but I've made a promise not to start another kit... mines getting done once my AMK MiG-31 is painted, but I keep seeing builds and it's making me want to start it. Must resist.

• Like 2

As promised here are a few piccies of the pitiful progress since the last update.

I have been battling with Aeromaster Soviet Grey for the uppersurfaces which keeps clogging the airbrush a treat, it goes on smoothly enough but dries too quickly in the airbrush itself and clogs it up, but I have now got everything covered except for under the wings and the tailplanes, which i will have a go at tomorrow.

DSC05069_zpsuajraqxf.jpg

As you can see she no longer fits in her box!

The area behind the cockpit was smooothed out and now has no imperfections.

DSC05070_zpsxnr329tv.jpg

Prior to applying the grey I sprayed the large area on the underneath and sides of the fuselage which remain metallic with some Vallejo dark aluminium which went on a treat, but I managed to get some other paint marks on it so it will need touching up in places.

DSC05071_zpsqsislmir.jpg

I am having a go at replicating the interior of the cockpit canopy as there is quite a lot going on on the real thing, this it what it looks like at the moment.

DSC05073_zpso4igndxs.jpg

And this is what it should (and hopefully will) look like.

DSC01262%201_zpsn7daenwd.jpg

Off to work in a minute (boo!!) so no more modelling today, but hopefully some spraying tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 7

I love special mission aircraft (electronic warfare, SEAD, recon, ASW).  This is coming along nicely...it's making me want to add one to the stash! :lol:

• Like 1

Perfectly smooth paint finish again Craig, really nice, the grey looks to be a very good match too. I'm glad you are opening the canopy as the cockpit work was way to nice to become complete hidden in there, the interior looks promising so far, top work all round mate! In the pic that is an interesting approach to canopy sealant for a Mach 3 jet :blink:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

This is coming along nicely...it's making me want to add one to the stash!

Thanks mate, it really is a great kit and will definitely fill any display cabinet! Buy one (or two) you will not be disappointed.

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

you are going to beat mine by miles it looks! ;)

I wouldn't bet on it! I have a nasty habit of slowing down or getting distracted by other projects (did someone say 57th FIS F-4E?) which delay me, and then there's the hundreds of stencils!

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

In the pic that is an interesting approach to canopy sealant for a Mach 3 jet :blink:

It certainly is isn't it David, all very Russian, just fill it full of goo and hope for the best!

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Looking good Craig, keep going,

andy

Thanks Andy, I will keep going don't worry.

• Like 3