Yak firebar

Finished masking the panels on the fuselage and upper wings an tail only the belly to do but i couldn't help myself from giving it a bit of a wash ,tried  the ultimate range light dirt first its a water clay based mix i believe but it didn't contrast enough with the silver ,so i tried the dark dirt, a couple of photos, no oil weathering till the belly and under the wings are done but an idea of what it'll turn out like, probably needs a wipe down with a damp cloth but  should finish the paint sunday, after the  east midlands model show at hinckley , and ready for decals and oils next week, at this rate im going to have to rummage through the stash for  something to start weekend! Cheers 

Glynn

OI000103_zpsdkr3clxh.jpg

OI000098_zpsiex5cupi.jpg

Edited by Hewy
Spelling
  • Like 10

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

She is looking absolutely superb Glynn.

The washes you have done so far really make the panels stand out but in a realistic way.

Thanks craig ,i am reigning myself in here with this, i'm on a knife edge being tempted to test all those alclad experiments out, but i keep looking at that photo of number 03, I'll wait though if i can till the from russia with love build I've got a  trumpeter 1/48 mig 19s

Waiting in the queue,

Cheers glynn 

• Like 1

- Very nice metallic panelling finish. :yes:

On the photo of the real thing, there are two round panel or object on the engine nacelle side  looking like search lights , does someone knows more ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Very nice metallic panelling finish. :yes:

On the photo of the real thing, there are two round panel or object on the engine nacelle side  looking like search lights , does someone knows more ?

Ipms i believe they're landing, taxiing lights,glad you like the paneling

Glynn

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good Glynn, looking forward to seeing the end result. Will get back on to mine soon now that the Tu-134 is finished.

Thanks zebra, I'm looking forward to seeing another one built, I'll have a look at the tu,how did the home made decals shape up?

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Lovely painting so far Glynn, I'm interested as to how you will weather this NMF with oils, looking for tips! 

cheers

David

David I'm hoping the oil weathering will go on  as it would a normal painted  model,but i dont know about sealing it,imean it may take away the matt panels from the shiny and well you know go belly up, but I'll post it all up,fingers crossed ,made good progress today,all painted ,black anti glare in front of the cockpit and stripes inside the nacelles and the green on the fin and demasked,i like it,,photos tomorrow cheers

Glynn

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is looking impressive Glynn!! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix ,attempting some fine tuning on the alclad , before decals hopfully post up tomorrow some progress,

Glynn

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Just had a pleasant few minutes catching up with this Glynn. Your metal paintworking looks excellent from here!

Tony

Thanks tony ,believe it or not it's my  first aircraft in alclad, cant help keep looking at it and wondering if i need to do anything different, hence it may look like its stalled a bit but I'm still woking on it hopfully decals tomorrow  cheers 

Glynn

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thanks tony ,believe it or not it's my  first aircraft in alclad, cant help keep looking at it and wondering if i need to do anything different, 

:D I'm just starting my first build with an Alclad main scheme so only to happy to watch your fine results and take notes!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Excellent work. It already looks very much like the one in the photo you provided. 

Aaah... I love Yak-28s... 

Jay

Cheers jay  ,should get time to update tomorrow, life keeps getting in the way 

Glynn

On 14/03/2017 at 19:40, TheBaron said:

:D I'm just starting my first build with an Alclad main scheme so only to happy to watch your fine results and take notes!

Blind following the blind eh Tony :P to be honest I cocked up the wings, i managed to (don't ask me how )scratch one wing down the centre panel, so i remasked and attempted to mix the same alclad brew of white aluminium and a dab of dark aluminium, did it come out the same as the other side,,,..no...

So i had to remask both wings and go again,:tmi: done now,  and hopefully back on track

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Blind following the blind eh Tony :P to be honest I cocked up the wings, i managed to (don't ask me how )scratch one wing down the centre panel, so i remasked and attempted to mix the same alclad brew of white aluminium and a dab of dark aluminium, did it come out the same as the other side,,,..no...

So i had to remask both wings and go again,:tmi: done now,  and hopefully back on track

I've just made a note not to do that Glynn.:lol:

Glad you got that sorted.:thumbsup:

Tony

• Like 1

Ok, finished the alclading, it took longer than expected, not all alclad related, i washed the lines with ultimate dark dirt, it's a water based clay  pigment. When i demasked, some how some paint got under and on the inside of the canopy screen, and onto the top of the coaming. Luckily, the front screen was eased free and cleaned and touched up. I do need to repaint the anti glare panel in front of the screen, there isn't any weathering on yet that'll be after the decals. All the contrast in the different panels is all alclad shades mixed (anyone building this model needs to treat the rear fuselage landing gear as you would on a harrier, adjusting accordingly at the end when the wing gear is set. The instructions make no mention of not gluing the rear LG. My advise would be to tack it with white glue, i tacked mine with tamiya thin avoiding the cyano that i used on the front LG. Luckily it eased free with no problems, and pivots up and down to set as you would the harrier). There's just final assembly needed now: pylons, missiles, lg doors, pitot, fin on the spine and the friend or foe beacons either side of the fin that i broke off! Oh yeh, i also broke the front landing gear, luckily, right inside and well hidden. All of those broken bits were foreseen at the start of the build and i was careful, but not careful enough, especially when you need to do so much prep for alclad ...enough,

Cheers glynn

OI000107_zpswepvfoec.jpg

OI000105_zpszc4z1mbk.jpg

OI000110_zps4qwf0v8g.jpg

I've also bought a couple of those resin cold war pilots from aires. Got to sort a ladder from somewhere to recreate that scene from hvalynka, (dirty bird photo)

Glynn

• Like 13

Oh I say. Dirty metal never looked so fine! Tonality and lustre are just smashing on this Glynn. The first of those three photos just oozes velocity...

:thumbsup: Tony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh I say. Dirty metal never looked so fine! Tonality and lustre are just smashing on this Glynn. The first of those three photos just oozes velocity...

:thumbsup: Tony

4 hours ago, Foxbat said:

A thing of (brutal) beauty and a joy forever. I REALLY like that.

Andy

Thank you very much gentlemen 

Glynn

Glynn that is one of if not THE best looking weathered natural metal finishes I have ever seen, it is extremely realistic and captures the look of the "dirty bird" in the photo perfectly.

I want one now more than ever, and it's all your fault!

The finished article is going to look fantastic with the big red stars on and carrying those huge missiles.

• Like 1