Yak firebar

22 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Makes sense then with the Su-24MP and MR versions too, quite a change over.
I only vaguely remember it from books as a kid, great to see it brought out in a proper scale and seems to have been done well too.

Yes  it does  thèy have done a good job  of it ,i think it was yakolevs  last fighter ,interceptor after a long association with  the vvs too.

6 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Yes  it does  thèy have done a good job  of it ,i think it was yakolevs  last fighter ,interceptor after a long association with  the vvs too.

Dont forget the 38... Not that I think it was much use for anything, but they gave it a good go. :)

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There were definitely some of the recce/electric/bomber versions in natural metal, you fill find some pics on this link; http://www.16va.be/3.4_la_reco_part4_fr.html

And yes I will be pre-ordering one from Mike tomorrow!

Craig save me from alclad purgatory and find out that the camo'd 28p interceptor on page 1 of this thread is from december 1979 I've searched and i know its probably 80s but i can but dream 

• Like 2

The results of the first alclad experiment the under coat primer is tamiya fine surface white from a rattle can, alclad sticks well to this,you can spray alclad on it within the hour,no problems, no masking of the panels was done its all freehand and I've used conventional  painting techniques, pre shading with alclad jet exhaust first and then different types of alclad, and then misted over with basic aluminium,after it dryed ,this morning I've rubbed it over with a well used scourer,the green kitchen sink variety to test adhesion, which  is very good ,i understsnd I'll have to mask the contrasting panels on the 28 but mor than anything i needed to get a grasp on how it sprayed, comments?

Glynn

OI000069_zps61t8vpjj.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Glynn, that looks good. Which shades of Alclad did you use? I'll be using Alclad on mine, I think probably a combination of white aluminium, aluminium and dark aluminium. 

I've never had a problem with Alclad, but maybe I've just been lucky. I've had some pretty good results using Mr Surfacer 1200 as a primer.

• Like 1

That wing is looking good, seems the Alclad is working well for you. Were these machines left in bare metal or were they painted in a silver laquer?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Col. said:

That wing is looking good, seems the Alclad is working well for you. Were these machines left in bare metal or were they painted in a silver laquer?

As far asi know col bare metal

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Hi Glynn, that looks good. Which shades of Alclad did you use? I'll be using Alclad on mine, I think probably a combination of white aluminium, aluminium and dark aluminium. 

I've never had a problem with Alclad, but maybe I've just been lucky. I've had some pretty good results using Mr Surfacer 1200 as a primer.

Zebra there's jet exhaust for the preshade,stainless steel along the front edge,some duralaminium and ordinary aluminium i added a dash of pale burnt metal in places and a bit of magnesium,dont think i could reproduce it again  if i tried..

Glynn

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

I'd say your experiment went very well. You've got good effects there. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks stix. I'll mask the panels on the yak, but im happy with how the mish mash of different shades on different areas of the panels has turned out ,i think the preshading will be toned right down too,i really like the stainless steel alclad across the leading edge of the wing ,typically thats the most difficult one to spray, also i want to keep it dull,i dont want shiny, cheers stix

Glynn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bianfuxia said:

Such an awesome looking plane - you know if it appeared in a 50s sci-fi movie as a spaceship, it wouldn't look out of place.

Nice progress so far!

Thanks i agree it is a beautiful aircraft and probably was futuristic looking for its day,

Glynn

Got the cockpit about finished ,ive put the mig 21 metal seatbelts in after seeing how nice proper ones from eduard can look on craigs mig 25 ,ive also thinned the canopy rail behind the cockpit with some plasticard each side,ive masked the front canopy I'm going to fit that today and I'll prime it today ,

OI000080_zpsanevnqpj.jpg

The thinned rail behind the cockpit,i thought it was too wide before,that piece sticking up is to support the canopy in its open position as it raises up at the back, ive filled the gap rear of the canopy support

OI000082_zpsebjnolnn.jpg

Exellent dial decals from airscale with a drop of future on top.

OI000077_zpslupl0wbi.jpg

OI000076_zpsha2mv8gf.jpg

Ive added two little red handles each side of th headrests on th seats as seen on reference pictures,these are the kit seats not the resin ones i had bought,those are now filed in the stash

Thanks glynn

• Like 8

And looking resplendent in its temporary light grey livery

20170225_164018_zpsk1dthrqb.jpg

A little fettle here and there when dry and not long before i splash some alclad on

20170225_164248_zps6hoiafsc.jpg

Thats the early,(i hope )canopy being used as a cockpit mask,masking the wheel wells an undercarriage, was a pain,i used some brassin resin packing sponge for the wells and tamiya tape for the rest.

20170225_165116_zpsftaqszrl.jpg

Cheers 

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Spelling
  • Like 12

Looking good Glynn. You're way ahead of me - I've made very little progress with mine - have had very little time, and I've been focusing on the Tu-134. 

Looks to me like it would have looked good in a grey colour scheme!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good Glynn. You're way ahead of me - I've made very little progress with mine - have had very little time, and I've been focusing on the Tu-134. 

Looks to me like it would have looked good in a grey colour scheme!

Im sure you'll catch up zebra,I'm only going to fettle the airframe ,no need to rush, im going to build and paint the missiles, pylons ,and uc doors first  ,did you notice i broke the fin off and those little bits off the spine,:tmi: had to happen,I've  still got the fin though, ill superglue that back on at the end now, I'll have a look in on the tu 134

The paint went on that well its almost a shame to cover it 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Tidy work in the 'pit and a smooth paint-job :clap2:

Cheers col, that tamiya superfine surface primer goes on a dream,

Ive rescribed a few lines on the nacelles and dabbed on some decanted plastic filler primer from halfords,im going to lose the rivet detail on the join at the back of the engines through sandind, the joint wasnt bad at all ,and its not brilliant on the actual aircraft,but i couldn't help myself,I'll  replace the rivet detail with some archer rivets that ive got,  oh and i think i used the wrong canopy for masking,doh,its in a bath of ipa today, fingers crossed 

Cheers, glynn

20170226_125854_zpsmugf7srk.jpg

• Like 6

Hewy, Looking great! What filler are you using? As for the canopy paint stripping, have you tried Mr Paint thinner from Gunze? I have found that it does not attack styrene and can clean up clear parts without hurting them at all. I really like the presence that your build has, can't wait to see it finished!:worthy:

• Like 1