Yak firebar

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Have any of you guys seen that there is a seller on Ebay in China selling these for £14.88 inc free delivery? I think it falls into the "if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is" category!

:hmmm: Sounds like a good way to loose £15 and have your bank card details harvested but there certainly seems to be plenty positive feedback and all their other kits are at a similar price.

• Like 1

Looking even better in those last photos. Agreed that some figures and a ladder would set it off nicely too.

Re the Ebay thing - arent you covered by Paypal and no bank details passed on that way?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Re the Ebay thing - arent you covered by Paypal and no bank details passed on that way?

Ah yes. Good point. Tempted to give in and order one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Glynn that is one of if not THE best looking weathered natural metal finishes I have ever seen, it is extremely realistic and captures the look of the "dirty bird" in the photo perfectly.

I want one now more than ever, and it's all your fault!

The finished article is going to look fantastic with the big red stars on and carrying those huge missiles.

High praise indeed craig , i appreciate it ,the preperation paid off ,and to be brutally honest i reckon the finish just all came together by chance,i didnt aqua gloss it in the end i  was weary of ruining it, just bought some cold war steel plate runway from clifton curios for it ,,, thanks

Glynn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mirageiv said:

wow thats a special job Glynn, really well done. The super smooth finish really helps convey a metal airframe! I look forward to the finished result. 

david

Thanks david,

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Adding a couple figures and a ladder to this one really will give a final touch to your fantastic work :speak_cool:

Cheers col, looking for ladders on the net today,although one of the pilots looks like an over weight  moped dispatch rider i cant wait to paint him up with a scaled pizza box:P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Looking even better in those last photos. Agreed that some figures and a ladder would set it off nicely too.

Thanks rm,  honestly I've blagged that finish it just happened almost on its own ,

Glynn

2 hours ago, zebra said:

It's really looking good Glynn. Your natural metal finish is superb. If mine is half as good as yours I'll be happy.

Cheers zebra, I'm  sure yours will be easily its equal if your tupolev is to be the measure,

Preperation thats all i did differently from a single color paint job,i agree about the sink marks but i really didn't notice them until i put the first bit of silver on,then i saw them.

Glynn

3 hours ago, Col. said:

:hmmm: Sounds like a good way to loose £15 and have your bank card details harvested but there certainly seems to be plenty positive feedback and all their other kits are at a similar price.

Col thats got to be a scam hasn't it, just how much will paypal offer its gaurantee for with such blatant scammery is any ones guess, I'm not going to be lured,,,not just yet anyway,who's going to be the giunee pig?:nodding:

Glynn

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Maye take care of this seller...

At least my paypal transaction was immediately cancelled as "not available" .... maybe only me though! I left it at that....

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, zebra said:

Maybe I've been unlucky - some of the sink marks on mine are hard to miss! 

I feel your pain, are they on the tips of the wings and the tail and ailerons like mine, i just tried to dull the metal finish down on them so they weren't to obvious but if I'd had spotted them before the top coat I'd probably still be on the prep now,

Glynn

No  - a couple on the forward fuselage, the fin, the rudder (these ones are a real pain - they're too obvious to ignore, and there's a panel line running through them - how do you have a panel line in a sink mark???) and some really deep ones on the main undercarriage doors (so deep I wouldn't call them sink marks - maybe pits would be a better word)

7 hours ago, zebra said:

No  - a couple on the forward fuselage, the fin, the rudder (these ones are a real pain - they're too obvious to ignore, and there's a panel line running through them - how do you have a panel line in a sink mark???) and some really deep ones on the main undercarriage doors (so deep I wouldn't call them sink marks - maybe pits would be a better word)

Definitely sound worse than mine ,thats going to be a pain, good luck

Glynn 

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That looks really excellent Glynn! Great paintjob! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers stix, a bit of your brush painting skill wouldnt go amiss at the minute, I'm having a little break from the firebar ,and painting the two  pilot figures but the faces are proving to be a stumbling block, might  have to put  a big beard on each one,:wink:

• Like 2

Hi Glynn. With faces (and in fact hands, legs, etc.) I tend to simply paint them a base flesh colour - currently I use Vajello's basic skin tone - applied in very thinned coats so as not to obscure the detail - and then, once dry I apply some Citadel's Reikland Fleshshade. It's from Games Workshop and is basically a wash that you apply fairly liberally which settles into the creases and details of the figure's faces/other. I used to try and do stuff like painting the eyes and use dry-brushing to create highlights but with very poor results. I think you can get away with using this wash up to 1/35.

This is how I did the faces and hands on the figures for my recent 1/35 Panther build:

33552528415_1c234f896e_c.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more detail.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Stix that is top advice and i will follow it  ,here's what I've done so far but the faces are miles away, almost embarrassing, I'll try your method over the weekend ,need the ladder to get the angles for the arms ,cheers 

Glynnn

20170324_170049_zpsfsax6qeu.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Glynn. With faces (and in fact hands, legs, etc.) I tend to simply paint them a base flesh colour - currently I use Vajello's basic skin tone - applied in very thinned coats so as not to obscure the detail - and then, once dry I apply some Citadel's Reikland Fleshshade. It's from Games Workshop and is basically a wash that you apply fairly liberally which settles into the creases and details of the figure's faces/other. I used to try and do stuff like painting the eyes and use dry-brushing to create highlights but with very poor results. I think you can get away with using this wash up to 1/35.

This is how I did the faces and hands on the figures for my recent 1/35 Panther build:

33552528415_1c234f896e_c.jpg

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any more detail.

Kind regards,

Stix

I thought your 1/72 scale figures were very impressive,these are also right up there with them, consider your method followed 

Glynn

• Like 1

Decals are on,and i can confirm they are very good, thin and glossy minimal soaking to free them ,very nice ,mostly done just some breakages to fix, detail weathering,and the vignette im planning for it also I've got to repaint the canopy due to over exuberant cleaning after demasking cheers 

Glynn

OI000115_zpshqgqozbk.jpg

OI000114_zpst9vkjdzf.jpg

OI000111_zpsoze3vmg4.jpg

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Decals are on,and i can confirm they are very good, thin and glossy minimal soaking to free them ,very nice ,mostly done just some breakages to fix, detail weathering,and the vignette im planning for it also I've got to repaint the canopy due to over exuberant cleaning after demasking cheers 

Glynn

OI000115_zpshqgqozbk.jpg

OI000114_zpst9vkjdzf.jpg

OI000111_zpsoze3vmg4.jpg

Splendid - Some pics in daylight could be very nice