Yak firebar

The kit looks to have a bit of Kitty Hawk about it, no, Im not being mean, just an observation - nice detail with some really nice fit in places but I see a fair bit of flash and some odd ball ways of construction like the U/C going in early.

Im loving it though, such a funky and weird thing and I hope it all works out for everyone, proper Dan Dare stuff. :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RMP2 said:

The kit looks to have a bit of Kitty Hawk about it, no, Im not being mean, just an observation - nice detail with some really nice fit in places but I see a fair bit of flash and some odd ball ways of construction like the U/C going in early.

Im loving it though, such a funky and weird thing and I hope it all works out for everyone, proper Dan Dare stuff. :)

Hmmmm KH you say? Not really ! I can'seen weapons meant for a totally different plane, nor mixed up versions....

Nor awkward shapes jumping to the eye even a blind...sorry...not very constructiv.. :)

• Like 2

werner ,i think  rmp2 only meant flash on a lot of the parts ,and odd construction,and some parts of constrution are odd to be honest, but being honest to bobcat its an absolutely super kit, and congratulations to them,bring on more ,I'll  post some photos tomorrow werner, its just about built ,and with an incredibly small amount of vallejo filler,the wings fit really well and hold firm with no glue,

• Like 2

Hey - Kitty Hawk aint all bad! At least you get weapons in the boxes unlike some others that rarely get complaints.... ;)

As Hewy says, construction, flash and assembly, that and the fine detail. Its all cool!

• Like 1

Been looking for any 70s info with pictures of  the yak28p and I've found a site,hvalynka aerodrome with  1978 pictures of firebars and tu4,s  shows how dirty some were and a few different bort numbers for the 70s makes interesting reading http://www.odrap.ru/hvalynka.html 

http://bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/bbs/view.html?b_bbs_id=10044&pn=0&num=131463

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
Unfinished
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Such funky looking things. :)

Nice find, cant be easy finding much in the way of photos of those.

Definitely not there's a photo of a camouflaged 28p earlier on in the thread found by exdraken,by most account these aren't meant to exist and up to yet no other photos of them have been uncovered, you watch we'll be inundated with them now, while there are bare metal finish examples all over the net its finding any with the year the photo was taken and where, i have a choice in markings now with the year 78 and the airbase , cheers,did you notice the wheel well assembly on the kitty hawk jaguar thread on the instruction sheet,,?very similar to the firebar ,dont you think?more in common perhaps.

Glynn

I looked for28p photos too out of curiosity, as you say, not much out there.

Yea, I see the similarities in some ways - its also the plastic too that reminds me of KH, funny finish on it and I suspect its soft like KH too? Not that thats a problem, makes cleaning up stuff that bit quicker. :)

Really starting to like these 28s, theyre just so oddball.

• Like 1

The 28p is mostly together now just a few parts to do and then the canopy can be sorted,the seats still need painting and installing ,and some seat belts making or buying,

I'll try the former first though,  the white  bits are vallejo plastic putty to be honest there wasnt much to fill I'm only being cautious for the alclad,bobcat has got the joins where panel lines are mostly, the lances on the wing tips didnt fit very well but a bit of carefull sanding sorted that

OI000070_zpstnzlmxmv.jpg

OI000071_zpsyhphjqwt.jpg

Something im not sure of is the gap along the spine which is obviously a representation of the canopy rail ,i think its too wide you can see how wide bobcat have made the rail on the panel behind the cockpit its notably thinner but there is a gimmicky canopy raising lever that you can pop up out of this groove to slightly raise the  rear of the canopy as shown in online photos of yak 28p and if i thin the gap with thin plasticard each side , which I'm contemplating,ill lose the gimmicky lever,i forgot to photograph this,until the canopy is ready I'll wait before altering the width of this gap ,i haven't found any online pictures of this gap,rail yet

OI000067_zpssoyjzggy.jpg

Above are revell mig 25 wings this old clunker of a kit has donated the wings  for the ensuing alclad experiment ,on the left a hastily rescribed  wing, on the right the kits

raised panel lines,

OI000072_zps3xdrtrz5.jpg

You can see where i filled a few mm of canopy rail gap here,because of where I'll be posing the canopy open i didnt want the gap to be seen behind the canopy

Thanks

Glynn

• Like 8

Nice work Glynn. Really enjoying watching your progress with this one and you're doing nothing to diminish my desire to get one of these. Best of good luck with the Alclad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Forgot to mention this Glynn but were you aware that these beauties were based in East Germany for a while in the 70's? The Yak-28PM's of the 35 IAP were based at Zerbst from 1967 until 1975 so definitely on the front line for the NATO/WARPAC face off in the 70's.

I read this morning that some of the 28s were replaced by Su-24 Fencers - must have been a bit of a change for the crews!

I reckon a Hawker Hunter alongside this would look great, they sort of share the wing shape (engines aside of course) and the tail isnt too dissimilar (well, sort of). Anyway, I think thatd look great!

Yes, I am also thinking about getting one of these. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Forgot to mention this Glynn but were you aware that these beauties were based in East Germany for a while in the 70's? The Yak-28PM's of the 35 IAP were based at Zerbst from 1967 until 1975 so definitely on the front line for the NATO/WARPAC face off in the 70's.

No craig although zerbst was mentioned on some searches but i never followed it up, I'll investigate,by the way the alclad experiments are horrible,,-1 more go and then the alternatives?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I read this morning that some of the 28s were replaced by Su-24 Fencers - must have been a bit of a change for the crews!

I reckon a Hawker Hunter alongside this would look great, they sort of share the wing shape (engines aside of course) and the tail isnt too dissimilar (well, sort of). Anyway, I think thatd look great!

Yes, I am also thinking about getting one of these. :)

Didn'tknow that,i thought they were mostly replaced by su15 and mig 25 and then mig 31

Apparently, the crews didn't like flying it much,new crews struggled a bit I've read it wasn't an easy aircraft to fly, also the pilots were not allowed to put the airframe through its full range in flight, hard to explain when it's translated russian ,i think the meant it handled crap,!

Glynn

• Like 1

Just now, Hewy said:

Didn'tknow that,i thought they were mostly replaced by su15 and mig 25 and then mig 31

Apparently, the crews didn't like flying it much,new crews struggled a bit I've read it wasn't an easy aircraft to fly, also the pilots were not allowed to put the airframe through its full range in flight, hard to explain when it's translated russian ,i think the meant it handled crap,!

Glynn

Guess it was role dependant, assuming WAPJ got their facts right.
Coincidentally it was a while before the Fencers were allowed to be throw about properly, limited to 3g for a while apparently, but dont want to slide off track from the 28s. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Try investigating this; http://www.16va.be/photos_chasse.html

I think you might like a couple of the photos, in colour no less!

Sorry you are having issues with the Alclad, if it doesn't work give the Vallejo metal colours a go, I really like them.

I will craig ,its the consistency of the stuff,as ive never covered a large area befor I'm getting ,cloudy patches, ahh well I'll train up for another couple of days,or i might go over mikes in the morning and get some of that vallejo stuff:P

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Guess it was role dependant, assuming WAPJ got their facts right.
Coincidentally it was a while before the Fencers were allowed to be throw about properly, limited to 3g for a while apparently, but dont want to slide off track from the 28s. :)

No slide off ,its aircraft were talking,and facts are facts,maybe those air bases converted to multi role aircraft, from interceptors, as they were trying to turn the 28p into a multi role aircraft at the end of its life,

31 minutes ago, Hewy said:

No slide off ,its aircraft were talking,and facts are facts,maybe those air bases converted to multi role aircraft, from interceptors, as they were trying to turn the 28p into a multi role aircraft at the end of its life,

Were the glass nosed jobbies not "bombers". Scuse my ignorance re these 28s, theyre a bit new to me and Im not great overall with Russian stuff.

2 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Were the glass nosed jobbies not "bombers". Scuse my ignorance re these 28s, theyre a bit new to me and Im not great overall with Russian stuff.

Yes ,and also recon and electronic warfare , did you see the28 p with camoflage that exdraken posted on page 1 i think , I've not seen any more in camo only the recce and elec warfare 28s ,and yet no recce and elec warfare in bare metal, mind the ruskies dont like to bandy their military history about willy nilly do they,,by the way i didnt know a jot about this aircraft before this gb,only that i had looked at it in books from the library when i was a nipper

1 minute ago, Hewy said:

Yes ,and also recon and electronic warfare , did you see the28 p with camoflage that exdraken posted on page 1 i think , I've not seen any more in camo only the recce and elec warfare 28s ,and yet no recce and elec warfare in bare metal, mind the ruskies dont like to bandy their military history about willy nilly do they,,by the way i didnt know a jot about this aircraft before this gb,only that i had looked at it in books from the library when i was a nipper

Makes sense then with the Su-24MP and MR versions too, quite a change over.
I only vaguely remember it from books as a kid, great to see it brought out in a proper scale and seems to have been done well too.

• Like 1