Yak firebar

43 minutes ago, zebra said:

That camouflaged Firebar is interesting. I expect the chances of a colour photo turning up are pretty slim!

Yes i bet you wont find much on the 28p in camoflage, but the glass nosed variants are quite common in it ,generaly i dont believe they started camoflaging jets till the early 80s, 

I agree that the 28-p's weren't camouflaged until the 1980's as this is when the Su-15's also started to receive some paint and as the aircraft performed the same duties for the same air force it makes sense that the camo order covering them was issued at the same time. I am however even more tempted to get a 28-p than I was before! I will just have to build it camouflaged for a different GB or just as a WIP. Now where's Mike's number at Clifton Curios??

• Like 1

Done a bit of work on the yak in between a harrier I'm building, i have painted the cockpit,and I've ordered some airscale decals for the dials and a pair of kk2 ejector seat from neomega ,as far as  exdraken, and zebra and i can gather between us they are a good match if not the seats from an early 28p ,the kit ones aren't up to much anyway and seeing as theres a dearth of information the k-7nm ejector seats that some mention were  fitted to the later yak 28p  I'm going with them,also ive built up the fron undercarriage, this wasn't a easy glue together,it'll be intresting to find out zebras take on this . It's  very delicate in the photo untill the glue sets i dare not to touch it as it flexes from side to side also a photo of buffys dagger in  an example of scale next to the gr9 thats nearing completion ,buffys dagger

20170206_204554_zpsvgnowk0i.jpg

20170206_203809_zps5y0gg8gf.jpg

• Like 7

On 05/02/2017 at 13:03, modelling minion said:

I agree that the 28-p's weren't camouflaged until the 1980's as this is when the Su-15's also started to receive some paint and as the aircraft performed the same duties for the same air force it makes sense that the camo order covering them was issued at the same time. I am however even more tempted to get a 28-p than I was before! I will just have to build it camouflaged for a different GB or just as a WIP. Now where's Mike's number at Clifton Curios??

He's  sold the other one he orderd along with this one ,but ive told him if any one else should order any more he's to get me another ,i expect there'll be a flood of after market shortly ,im hoping any way ,i reckon its going to build into a super kit fiddly undercarriage apart,

Glynn

• Like 1

The cockpit looks great. You've captured the busy and cluttered nature typical of the era. A good pair of seats will finish it off well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

The cockpit looks great. You've captured the busy and cluttered nature typical of the era. A good pair of seats will finish it off well.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice job on the cockpit Glynn, it looks very good for a kit supplied part.

Cheers fellas, seeing as there were no decals for the dials the airscale ones will finish the cockpit off ,and i believe the seat belts are molded on the neomega seats which im relieved about

• Like 1

On 2/7/2017 at 8:08 AM, Hewy said:

ive built up the fron undercarriage, this wasn't a easy glue together,it'll be intresting to find out zebras take on this

I had a go at the front undercarriage on mine today. I'll post a bit more on this in my own thread tomorrow, but as you'll have found, getting the undercarriage components aligned properly isn't easy if you do it the way the instructions suggest. My solution was to glue the two halves of the wheel well together and then insert the two undercarriage components, without gluing them - they pop into their locating holes quite easily, but rotate freely. Gluing the two undercarriage components together was then straightforward, and I then fixed them securely to the wheel well with a drop of superglue at each point.

I'm not fond of undercarriages that have to be installed before the fuselage goes together. It makes for a more accurate undercarriage, but it's all hidden within the wheel well, and I often think I'd prefer a simpler, less accurate undercarriage that I can fit at a later stage, instead of spending the whole build worrying about damaging it! I've had the same issue with the Tu-134 - if I get to the end without breaking the undercarriage it'll be a miracle!

• Like 3

Yes zebra using the two front undercarriage halfs as a jig ,i taped mine together whilst the undercariage went off but i found on mine the pins didn't locate well enough,so i drilled them and inserted pins ,and drilled the locating holes on the undercarriage halfs completely through I'll then align the undercarriage and fix with thick superglue like you ,pictures will show better ,post later ,good luck with yours

The fit overall is quite good,just a little flash on some mating surfaces but whith care this  kit will build  very nicely, first  you have to install the landing gear in their appropriate bays before you seal the fuselage, i used the front bay as a jig to  align the gear so  i could remove it  to paint it also  the mounting pins only just caught on the sides of the front bay so i drilled the locating pins on the front gear and superglued pins in the holes then  drilled the sides of the front bay through i will use superglue to fix the gear before i zip up the fuselage  ,some very careful  handling will be needed  so I'll have to fashion some sort of stand,as I'll probably break the undercarriage off else,front and mid gear bays had a little styrene strip to busy them up a bit and they both had  hydraulic cables drilled and superglued to finish, just how much will be seen who knows then painted and weathered, the soviets didn't look after this yak. Ive also built up the nacelles, the component parts can be seen in the photos.they have gone together well,a little sand and iI'll mount them on the wings , the first photo shows the wing  just push fitted ito the wings recess, its a decent fit straight away 

OI000062_zpssedzauhx.jpg

20170210_182156_zpssr7x42sc.jpg

I've decided im not going to use the resin seats I've bought and I'm going with the kit ones,so ive got to paint them and sort out seat belts,  afew strips of styrene in the bays just because,

OI000060_zpsrm0smzem.jpg

OI000064_zps2dcmmdln.jpg

Intake bullets and parts of the engine ,and bays painted,also airscale decals on the rear panel,ill take some closer ones when the cockpit is finished

OI000066_zps4jeqiw1z.jpg

The pins can be seen sticking out of the sides they will be cut off after alignment and superglue,

OI000065_zpsvaidnvar.jpg

Finally the nacelles once the glue has gone off, a fettle and on to the wings, thanks 

Glynn

• Like 6

great, very inspiring work!

yeah, fiddly undercarriage that is to be installed early is always a bit of a pain.... 

can't be too hard to design it in a way to be install-able afterwards.... in the end the real one also deploys and retracts somehow...! ok - goining into hide now ;)

looking forward to receiving mine!

• Like 1

Where have you orderd yours from ex,yes your right about the uc ive ponderd on altering it some how but it would mean you would see it from underneath, you could leave the mid uc out though and mount that after, but thats a little more sturdy I'mnot worried about that one,also theres a large fin on the top of the fuselage, I'll nock that off guaranteed 😐

Cheers glynn

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Nice work Glynn. The additional detail and skillful painting makes a huge difference to those parts.

Thanks col should be able to fix the nacelles to the wings today ,and experment with alclad on an old kit part off the doom shelf  ,popping to hobbycraft to get some enamel shades,i have the makings of a plan for the nmf

Good start on this Glynn. I've got the other one from Mike yesterday. He may order more but was talking about holding off unless he got firm orders.

I'm leaning towards a later camo'd bird now as I don't think this will be a good subject for my first attempt at NMF.

Some of the fiddly parts in my kit have some sort of oily residue on them so they've been soaking in soapy water overnight. I'm very impressed with the canopies though. Good trick for the front under carriage which I shall copy shamelessly. :fool:

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes some but not all of the plastic is a waxy type , when you sand it it bobbles and and leaves a furry residue on the edges you'll find some of the other parts are more mainstream and brittle  ,there is a camouflaged late  p28 photographed on this thread , i would have chosen that if it were not for the constraints of the group build,i agree the canopys are crystal clear in my kit too ,and  as its my first nmf aircraft I'm researching nmf finishes now ,   are you going to do yours in the from russia with love  build , thanks ss

Glynn 

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

Good start on this Glynn. I've got the other one from Mike yesterday. He may order more but was talking about holding off unless he got firm orders.

I'm leaning towards a later camo'd bird now as I don't think this will be a good subject for my first attempt at NMF.

Some of the fiddly parts in my kit have some sort of oily residue on them so they've been soaking in soapy water overnight. I'm very impressed with the canopies though. Good trick for the front under carriage which I shall copy shamelessly. :fool:

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes some but not all of the plastic is a waxy type , when you sand it it bobbles and and leaves a furry residue on the edges you'll find some of the other parts are more mainstream and brittle  ,there is a camouflaged late  p28 photographed on this thread , i would have chosen that if it were not for the constraints of the group build,i agree the canopys are crystal clear in my kit too ,and  as its my first nmf aircraft I'm researching nmf finishes now ,   are you going to do yours in the from russia with love  build , thanks ss

Glynn 

That's my plan. Hopefully there'll be some aftermarket bits around by then. I'm doing a tank as well but I'm quite quick at building armour. Had a lot more practice!! Variable plastic eh? Sounds ominous....

• Like 1

Got the nacelles and the wings married up,no problems at all,only a smidgen of filler necessary  when the glue  has gone off properly, also glued7the cockpit in one half of the fuselage, and the undercarriage bays in the same half,taped together to align while it sets,just plugged the wings in with no glue for now,does any one know if i can use primer filler ,halfords orange stuff along the seams underneath alclad 2 gloss black base,?might have to experment on a spare kit part ,its going to be a big unit .

Glynn

20170212_200454_zpsmeraztny.jpg

20170212_201141_zpsjca8gic8.jpg

20170212_201545_zpsikwlr1zw.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great Glynn, really taking shape now.

Love the work you have done on the undercarriage mate, very nice.

Really tempting to get one!

Cheers craig ,its carefull handling time next with the uc attached, I'll be making a stand for it to prevent handling damage and to paint it on 

Glynn

• Like 1

For all at sea from steves mig 21 thread ,this is the matt finish ,iv used on previous models to good effect with no problems over tamiya paints, vallejo washes,and pledge,future, and decals, wipe the model down with a damp cloth and leave to dry ,and mist a couple of coats on ,

20170214_061926_zps3oxpjade.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Hewy said:

For all at sea from steves mig 21 thread ,this is the matt finish ,iv used on previous models to good effect with no problems over tamiya paints, vallejo washes,and pledge,future, and decals, wipe the model down with a damp cloth and leave to dry ,and mist a couple of coats on ,

20170214_061926_zps3oxpjade.jpg

Cool. I use the Satin version and get away with murder with it re decal silvering on all but the most stubborn decals, it seems to last forever as well, little goes a long way. Will have to invest in some matt too.

• Like 2