First and second tank builds for 20+ years!

Matt_L

Hi, 

I'd like to share my Tamiya Panther G, (and the old Chieftain), my second (and first, but can't find most of the pics i took)  finished afv builds for many many years. It's been a different and fun experience compared to my more usual aircraft builds, got a bit bored of the latter (temporarily) a while ago so found some cheap second hand deals on 1/35 stuff. 

Been enjoyable experimenting and learning with different paint techniques and weathering especially. Now a small stash has grown up - nor rivaling the pane stash yet, but you never know. 

The base, as you can see unfinished, for the Panther is from Miniart. 

Look forward to all constructive feedback, 

Take care, 

Matt 

DSCN1487%201280x618_zpslxw8pgwl.jpg

DSCN1492%201280x720_zpss4hwauoa.jpg

DSCN1574%201280x907_zpsk2q8o9im.jpg

DSCN1566%201280x847_zpsw1x8p00v.jpg

DSCN1565%201280x979_zpsmsiqydvi.jpg

DSCN1562%201280x785_zpsmo0u9elc.jpg

DSCN1560%201280x1039_zpsj32uf43k.jpg

DSCN1568%201280x960_zps5wabgsem.jpg

DSCN1573%201280x960_zps23ytpn2q.jpg

DSCN1570%201280x960%202_zpsglmpvc0j.jpg

Edited by Matt_L
more pics
  • Like 13

Well they are both better than the Tiger I did after a 35yr gap!

The Chieftain is a real beauty (although I prefer to build WWII armour, it's one of those kits I just HAD to build back in my teens. It was a great kit back then, and it still is now)

And the Panther is great as well. Your colour palette for the camo is fantastic and you've certainly learned the weathering techniques quickly. My only slight criticism would be that some of your streaks or 'runs' are at an angle, defying the pull of gravity. But then maybe the Panther was parked on a steep slope when they formed? :unsure::D

Rearguards,

Badder

Very nice!  I would like to see more pics of the Chieftan if you find them and agree that the weathering on the Panther is just right, especially the exhausts.  How did you do the streaking?  Is that barbed wire wrapped round the barrel and was there a reason for that?

Hey, thanks everyone, very heartening comments, thank you. 

7 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

Very nice!  I would like to see more pics of the Chieftan if you find them and agree that the weathering on the Panther is just right, especially the exhausts.  How did you do the streaking?  Is that barbed wire wrapped round the barrel and was there a reason for that?

Thanks Sanfrandragon, may have to post some new ones of the Chiefy when the sun is back. All the weathering on the Panther is brush painted, artists' pastels or Pitt Ink Pens (grey and sepia), with a little garden earth added. The wire round the barrel - well, I've seen some photos of that and it seems to have been used to hold camouflage in place - mostly branches of pine trees. Not yet found anything that convincingly looks like a branch yet, so just the wire...

17 hours ago, Badder said:

Well they are both better than the Tiger I did after a 35yr gap!

The Chieftain is a real beauty (although I prefer to build WWII armour, it's one of those kits I just HAD to build back in my teens. It was a great kit back then, and it still is now)

And the Panther is great as well. Your colour palette for the camo is fantastic and you've certainly learned the weathering techniques quickly. My only slight criticism would be that some of your streaks or 'runs' are at an angle, defying the pull of gravity. But then maybe the Panther was parked on a steep slope when they formed? :unsure::D

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you Badder, agree that the Chieftain is a great kit, a very nice intro back to armour, and rather cheap! Must remember to do the canvas that covers that mantlet gap one day...

I think it's those cobbles the Panther's been going over that wobbled those streaks...;)

Take care, 

Matt 

• Like 1