1/72 - Curtiss P-40 Warhawk/Kittyhawk by Special Hobby - P-40D/E/F/N/K/M/Mk.IA/Mk.III/Mk.IV released - new P-40F/L boxing

Homebee

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I'm looking at those sprue pictures at 3x the actual size of the 1/72 parts and I see absolutely no problem at all with the weight of the panel lines

Hi WIP

I just compared the sprue pics with the pictures  at the head of the thread. Or, if you prefer, what should come out of the mold with what is announced-advertised. I suppose you will admit that there is still a big difference.

I have all the Mirage F.1 family kits from SH. I am perfectly happy with them ,they are beautiful and very well researched , but AFAIC their panel lines weight was at the time the limit of what I could accept.

I had hoped SH would have still been improving in this field. But they may be limited by the technology they are using, I don't know...

That's why I am concerned with these otherwise very nice looking P-40s. and also why I said "Just MY 2 cents."

As OCCA said , I am still looking forward for them.

So , WAIT AND SEE.

Madcop :smile:

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I can see my Academy P-40M/N boxings being moved on as a result of these.

Steve.

Hi Steve

If I were you I would still wait before moving my Academyzzzzzz ( that I also have).

I am with you for the SH panel lines ( if these sprues are production ones ) but as long as SHAPE is concerned I would stay for the moment with Special Hobby ,Hasegawa and Sword.

IRC Academy has got a shape problem at the Windshield/canopy who are sitting too high. For this SHAPE reason I would still prefer the forthcoming SH one with all his options and details.

I could always use homemade filler ( Superglue + Talc )  to fix my main concern. I just hope I won't have to !

Madcop.:D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madcop said:

I have all the Mirage F.1 family kits from SH. I am perfectly happy with them ,they are beautiful and very well researched , but AFAIC their panel lines weight was at the time the limit of what I could accept.

I agree with you , they are just about acceptable . What I find rather odd is their new plastic only kits have these wide panels - vampire , magister , mirage while the older short run kits with resin etc had really fine panels - for example their 72nd scale seafire . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basuroy said:

I agree with you , they are just about acceptable . What I find rather odd is their new plastic only kits have these wide panels - vampire , magister , mirage while the older short run kits with resin etc had really fine panels - for example their 72nd scale seafire . 

I guess that is purely down to the technology used to produce the molds - I don't know much about it but I think it costs a lot of money and/or is harder to produce a steel mold with fine panel lines compared to a limited run mold. The way Airfix produce their molds must be different now as they have struggled to get their panel lines fine, yet go back to kits from the era their 1/48th scale Spit Mk.22/24 and it has nice sized panel lines.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I guess that is purely down to the technology used to produce the molds - I don't know much about it but I think it costs a lot of money and/or is harder to produce a steel mold with fine panel lines compared to a limited run mold. The way Airfix produce their molds must be different now as they have struggled to get their panel lines fine, yet go back to kits from the era their 1/48th scale Spit Mk.22/24 and it has nice sized panel lines.

You are quite likely correct . To be fair to them , they are unlikely to have the kind of capital Tamiya or Eduard has which allows them to purchase the best machinery out there . Over time and with burgeoning sales , we can only expect better .  They otherwise do a great job with the kits and manage some really fine details  - for example , in the 72nd scale gnat kit , the rocket pods included have the rocket heads barely protruding out of the pod  and this kind of detail is generally found in resin pieces , not plastic . 

• Like 1

Box art from Standa Hájek for ref. SH72367

Neville Duke a/c.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2017/04/prvni-boxart-pro-serii-modelu-p-40.html

Standa Hajek, our court artist has finished his very first boxart painting for the upcoming family of Special Hobby P-40 kits in 1/72 scale. These models were completely 3D designed and will be injected into all-steel moulds. This marvelous boxart depicts a Kittyhawk of famous British WW2 fighter ace Nevil Duke who gained six victories out of his twenty-seven confirmed while  flying the Kittyhawk.

401.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

I may be blind but it looks like they forgot the inner air intake details , I mean the inner triple airflow duct divider  after the air intake lip. ( Sword did ...as well as Hasegawa and Academy).  That's a shame, as this is very hard to scratch build that ! ( Even in 1/32 scale, I know what I mean ! )

Anyway, If parts 12 and 13 from the general sprue tare meant to represent this , I'll take my words back and apology.

Generic side consoles for all models , better than nothing !

I suppose that they will sell improved parts ( Air intake if needed , cockpit consoles and PE instrument panels, wheels etc...) in their CMK Quick Fix Resin serie.

At the price they will sell them ( e.g. € 9,00 for a Mirage F.1 central tank...) I am wondering about the final price ....

While reducing the picture at about 1/72 scale dimension, the recessed panel lines are not looking overdone...but I may be wrong also !  

All that said , could be a good replica, but still not ecstasy.

Now, let see and touch the plastic !!

Madcop ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, madcop said:

I may be blind but it looks like they forgot the inner air intake details , I mean the inner triple airflow duct divider  after the air intake lip. ( Sword did ...as well as Hasegawa and Academy).  That's a shame, as this is very hard to scratch build that ! ( Even in 1/32 scale, I know what I mean ! )

Anyway, If parts 12 and 13 from the general sprue tare meant to represent this , I'll take my words back and apology.

Madcop ;)

The divider is integral with intake lip - part 5 (among the tailplanes and rudder ) if I see it correctly

Cheers

Michael

11 hours ago, KRK4m said:

The divider is integral with intake lip - part 5 (among the tailplanes and rudder ) if I see it correctly

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael

I agree with you but

Part 5 is only the lip. From the lip three ducts are directing the air towards the two coolant ( Upper left and right ) and oïl radiator (lower) (Part 59/60). Ican't see these ducts ( funnel) on the parts.

Madcop

I don't have part numbers, but the two bits on the small parts sprue in the upper left of the photo (click on the photo for higher resolution) are meant to represent the coolant and oil coolers. The divider is on that bit with the larger parts. 

It it doesn't look less accurate than other attempts in this scale. 

• Like 1

Recently there was also a 1/72 model of P 40 E by AZ and K by Sword - I think we forgot here to mention it.

Anyway - I have some four or five P40 in my stash and it looks that I have to sell them...

I like the spreues very much

Cheers

J-W

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there...

The P-40N Test build doesn't show how the air intake should look like.

It should look like that...

Thought that these picture could be helpful ....

Have a nice day .

Madcop :D

air_in10.jpg

detail10.jpg

detail11.jpg

p-40l_10.jpg

p-40n_10.jpg

p-40e_10.jpg

8 hours ago, sroubos said:

I'm a bit surprised by the heavy panel lines, some of my older SH kits have much finer lines than this.

You are correct ; I have about a dozen SH kits in my collection and the older kits (with resin , PE etc ) like the seafire or the tempest (all in 72nd) have very fine panel lines but the newer plastic only kits have panel lines that are similar in width and depth as the Airfix kits . Another similarity with airfix is the width is not consistent either between models or within the same model - the SH vampire kit in 72nd for example has atrociously wide panel lines on the fuselage and but acceptable ones on the wings . And then you have the 72nd Ah1 Cobra kit which has excellent panel lines - it is all very odd ! 

On 8/27/2017 at 5:34 AM, JWM said:

Recently there was also a 1/72 model of P 40 E by AZ and K by Sword - I think we forgot here to mention it.

The less said about both the better. Horrible builds. 

12 hours ago, Procopius said:

The less said about both the better. Horrible builds. 

We're going slightly off-topic here but I've assembled both the AZ P-40E and the Sword P-40K (of which there are two boxings: 'short-tailed' and 'long-tailed'), neither are easy but both are do-able with care and attention (neither of which I have).

If anyone is planning on getting rid of P-40s that they think will be made obsolete by the Special Hobby release (AZ, Hasegawa and Sword), I'll willing take them off your hands. :D

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if there are accuracy issues with the Hasegawa P-40N but I've built three and it is the very definition of shake 'n bake. I love that kit. I'm not seeing anything here that makes we want to try it over that one, except maybe the exhaust ports.

40 minutes ago, Beard said:

If anyone is planning on getting rid of P-40s that they think will be made obsolete by the Special Hobby release (AZ, Hasegawa and Sword), I'll willing take them off your hands. :D

I'll be in touch. I've built them as well, and I hated them.

• Like 1