West German F-104G x 2

Hi guys,

I think I have finally decided on my effort for this GB,

L1100110_zpsx7oxypfo.jpg

My present thinking is to build Hasegawa's 1/48 F-104G as a German JaboG 36 jet assigned to the Nuclear Alert Strike role with the large B43 nuclear bomb. The F-104Gs at Rheine-Hopsten were relieved of the Strike role circa 1972 as they were to be replaced by the newly assigned F-4F Phantom within the next few years, so it will early seventies like pics in this article: http://www.thunderstreaks.com/spotting/base-visit-rheine-hopsten-germany-july-29th-1971/#prettyPhoto

I could however choose a different JaboG unit to build a later jet (I have more of the correct aftermarket for later jets)  but I have always liked JaboG's 36 insignia though :) 

Geschwaderwappen_zps2sutqid8.jpg

I'll pic and choose which aftermarket I'll be using, certainly not everything in the above photo, in combination with one or two bits from the DACO set. Most importantly the DACO set has the B43 nuke (among other nukes) and some nice other bits. Some more bits such as the DACO decals and book are still to arrive but no problem as this will be a delayed start anyways. 

Thanks for looking in and look forward to seeing everyone's builds,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 14

9 hours ago, mirageiv said:

so it will early seventies like pics in this article:

I could however choose a different JaboG unit to build a later jet

Early 70s is good. :thumbsup:    I've always seen the early 70s as a transition period, which is always interesting. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this... looks like you're going all out!

I have one of these and a bit of AM for it (not the Daco set though) and thought about using it in this GB, but I've had it earmarked for a Japanese scheme from a Two Bobs sheet I have, and I think I'm going to keep it back for that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zebra said:

I have one of these and a bit of AM for it (not the Daco set though) and thought about using it in this GB, but I've had it earmarked for a Japanese scheme from a Two Bobs sheet I have, and I think I'm going to keep it back for that.

You clearly need more Starfighters in your stash ;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zebra said:

keep it for the F-104 STGB at the end of the year! :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Great! I am still struggling if I should get that Daco set or not. Will watch with interest :-)

You shoulď.....

if you like the 104 or need special weapons....

sprues are also availavle seperately!

• Like 2

Nice to have so many F-104 fans :) !

On the DACO set, if you plan on building many Starfighters (think I've earmarked about 12 so far :blink: ) getting a few of the DACO sets is nearly a must, simply allows you to build so many versions with loads of weapons and the  airframe differences between them. If however you will only build one Starfighter, and get the set plus a kit and maybe aftermarket decals/bits, it does make a rather expensive 1/48 kit I agree! My F-104 plans will nearly use every single bit of the DACO set so it was a no brainer for me :) You can also get separate spruces too for more wing fuel tanks etc..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@exdraken- Too right, if you start buying the Eduard pylon and weapons sets (limited options though) it begins to add up, the DACO set then starts to become much better value for money.

Some progress finally!

I decided to use the Aires cockpit, it looks ok but I was a little disappointed with it tbh for a later F-104G variant. It took a good few evenings of sanding and test fitting to get everything lined up in there and bar the sidewalls, it doesn't really add too much to the original cockpit with maybe an etch IP added.  hmm given I'll be building a few of these in this scale I'll know for the future I guess :). 

Anyways, with the DACO book at hand (what a ref book btw!), I added a few more details and corrected one or two things for a more accurate and 3D representation of a German F-104G. Spare bits of resin, plastic and plasticard were added for some of the larger switches and boxes, some a nearly identical colour to the Aires resin unfortunaltey. I added the tubes on the rear avionics hatch and some rivets (they should be raised but the 1/32 HGW ones I got were invisible!), and rebuilt the IP coaming a little. The HUD projector was built up and angled towards the pilot (Aires version was flat) and the round lens shaped from clear plastic with a little circle of masking tape over the projector whilst I paint it. The IP coaming was a little short under the canopy (not sure but don't think it was me) so I extended it and a new fabric cover from tape over the top. The dial on the top right side was cut off and replaced with something representing the EL-70 alert/failure light system found on German jets. 

L1100160_zpsyjmrcphv.jpg

The etch for the IP panel looks good but I added some of the main switches for a more 3D effort, there are more smaller ones in real life too but this is as small as I could make anything!

L1100163_zpsv78lxbce.jpg

Some little bits added to the sidewalls and some bits still to add,

L1100166_zpsynpjwveu.jpg

L1100164_zpshlkfmo4g.jpg

Then the bits that took forever, the cockpit sills. Aires doesn't provide anything here and due to the way you have to fit the Aires sidewalls my Eduard etch didn't fit well, so I went and made the seals, explosive charge mounts, lock holes etc...There are still more tiny bits to go on them but to save them from damage they will be going on near the very end. 

L1100171_zpspyvcqvl7.jpg

The Aires pit is for the earlier C2 seat, which has some minor differences than the Martin Baker equipped jet I'll build,  one being where the canopy defogging tubes connect on the rear left, so a new attachment point was made and still needs some tubing there but it will have to wait till the fuselages are closed. Also the top of the ejection seat rail head box was slightly modified to fit the correct seat. Again more bits are needed there but they will go on later to avoid damage. 

L1100173_zpsyki4r1i6.jpg

L1100176_zps1haajg99.jpg   

With one of the seat options placed in, taking photos of the interior gets a bit difficult but the details are discernible in there in real life. 

L1100178_zpsswm6qnjt.jpgs

After test fitting everything a thousand million times it all fits well now and is ready for some paint, hopefully I'll have it painted up by the week's end. :) 

L1100179_zps5k0jzrqa.jpg

Still not 100% sure which version I'm doing yet. I was mulling over the DACO set and realised to my surprise (even though I thought I'd covered everything in it) that the internal camera system for the late 70's onwards Marineflieger RF-104G is included, now that would be an interesting option too, especially because I have a big soft spot for Marineflieger F-104s! 

This version: http://www.airfighters.com/photo/139508/M/Germany-Navy/Lockheed-RF-104G-Starfighter/21-18/

I don't think I've seen a Marinefliger RF-104G done before in plastic. hmm a nuke or a recon jet :hmmm:, I will have to make the decision soon as if doing a RF-104G I'll need to do the internal camera system before I can close the fuselages. I guess the one problem of the DACO set, too many choices! :winkgrin:

cheers for looking in,

David.

• Like 9

Thats some really nice work on the cockpit, especially such a tiny and fiddly one. Very well done, impressive stuff!

I do like the idea of a recce version too, as you say - an unusual option, and thats surely far more satisfying than just glueing a special bomb to the thing. :)

• Like 1

Looks incredible, really great work. You know, one (or me anyway) hardly ever sees a 104 with actual bombs on it. I guess in this GB we're modeling things as they would have been seen when the "balloon went up" so, not that you're taking requests (haha) I'd like to see the armed 104 just so I know what it would have actually looked like with something other than enormous fuel tanks...:smirk:

• Like 2

On 2/22/2017 at 7:43 PM, DAG058 said:

Very nice! I can tell already this will be another stunner from you.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:30 PM, Col. said:

Stunning work in the cockpit :wub: Be nice to see you do 21-18 if you do decide to go ahead with it.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:13 PM, At Sea said:

Awesome!

On 2/23/2017 at 0:29 AM, RMP2 said:

Thats some really nice work on the cockpit, especially such a tiny and fiddly one. Very well done, impressive stuff!

I do like the idea of a recce version too, as you say - an unusual option, and thats surely far more satisfying than just glueing a special bomb to the thing. :)

On 2/23/2017 at 1:19 AM, exdraken said:

Nice start on the cockpit!

Just one thought about your choices:: it is Nato vs Warpak here! Recce fits elsewhere too....

On 2/23/2017 at 2:16 AM, bianfuxia said:

Looks incredible, really great work. You know, one (or me anyway) hardly ever sees a 104 with actual bombs on it. I guess in this GB we're modeling things as they would have been seen when the "balloon went up" so, not that you're taking requests (haha) I'd like to see the armed 104 just so I know what it would have actually looked like with something other than enormous fuel tanks...:smirk:

On 2/23/2017 at 2:32 AM, JayBee said:

MFG 2 RF-104 can carry Kormoran  or AS 30 missiles, not only cameras or external fuel tanks. ;) KLICK

On 2/23/2017 at 7:43 AM, Hewy said:

The cockpit detailing is awsome,that will paint up really well good stuff

Glynn

On 2/23/2017 at 10:43 AM, modelling minion said:

Absolutely cracking work on the cockpit as usual David, looks like it's going to be another cracker.

The idea of a Marinefleiger RF-104 is interesting, and as you say it will sit well with your others from last year.

Thank you for the encouragement guys and I'm glad you like the work so far, much appreciated! 

Well I read up on the RF-104 and I remembered they were updated with chaff/flare dispensers which are also included in the DACO kit, catch is it only happened in the early 80's. I want to model my MFG2 RF-104 with those dispensers so I will have to knock the RF idea on the head, it is leading the way though for the F-104 STGB later on this year! So a special weapon jet it will be :)

I just gave the cockpit it's base colours and hopefully by Sunday I'll have it painted up ready to close the fuselage up. Being a big F-104 fan, strangely I've never built one in 1/48 before and I'm damn impressed with this Hasegawa kit, after closing the fuselage sides only the intakes and wings to go and then its not too far from paint (famous last words!).

cheers,

David. 

• Like 4