Finished! - Monogram 1/48 Harrier Gr.1

It's SATURDAY! :clap2: It's not that it has any significant meaning to me, it's just so you know! :winkgrin:

Today's update takes me further down the road of painting - well actually not so much paint as of yet - more in the shape of masking - a lot! :whip:

FullSizeRender031_zpshcxt5pjv.jpg

FullSizeRender032_zpswga3mlkv.jpg

As far as I can make out from photos the demarcationlines between the two colours are quiet hardedged - so I put the masking quiet close.

Am I right  in that the demarcationlines on the GR.3 were a bit more soft? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J - who's going to lunch!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Clever idea!! How did you create the mask - scan the instructions and print it out? If so, how did you know what size to increase it to? 

Yes - exactly as you say - scan the instruction - put it onto word - measure the kit (lenght & wingspan) - increase the size of the picture to the length (rigth and left side) and to wingspan (topview) - print it out. :winkgrin:

I'm sure there must be an easier way, but this works for me. :winkgrin:

Hans J

Thanks Hewy - all part of the fun! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Another quick update: :D

FullSizeRender033_zpsfxybglrz.jpg

....but I'm looking forward to the 'Umasking' (or is it Demasking or maybe The Demaskisation! :hmmm: ) tomorrow! :D

Hans J

Your making it sound like one of the 7 trials of hercules hans, it looks fine,looking forward to the unveiling,  undressing ,that little spot will blow over.good job

Glynn

Thats looking realy well, I like it a lot, well done that man!

As for demasking... I like the term "undressing" or better still "stripping".

I mean, it reveals either something lovely to look at that makes you smile or something you wished youd rather not bothered spending so much time and attention on only to be disappointed with at the "big unveiling". ;)

• Like 2

I'll be using Xtradecal X48107: The History of RAF 4 Squadron Part 2 1964-2012 as seen here to the right. :D

It has the roundels, numbers and some of the stenciling - the rest will come from the kit's decals.

FullSizeRender001_zpssfhg4rqk.jpg

Hans J 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HansReggelsen said:

Couldn't sleep - so I took a picture of my workbench:

FullSizeRender037_zps9sqejv8f.jpg

:D

Cheers :sleeping:

Hans J

No.

P1110680%20Large.jpg

Although, thats pretty good for me, its usually a bit worse.

• Like 1

The last update for today.

The paintrepair on the wing wasn't good enough for me - too light so after I had given the model an allover coat of gloss varnish I decided to paint the offending area one more time. :doh:

Now it's better - much better. :D

So i proceeded according to plan - the undercarriage:

FullSizeRender038_zpsvskg8ksh.jpg

Cheers :sleeping:

Hans J

• Like 4

It wasnt so long ago that I read of that way of sorting the Harriers undercarriage - using slow drying glue for the main gear so it drops or pushes up in its mount and all touch ground as they should. Just a case of making sure its straight n true.

Ive not built a Harrier for over 25 years, yet the gear was the first issue I remembered, so had a read. :)

Its looking well, I like it and much noted for my Monogram in the stash. Did I miss the boomy bits that you will be fitting? Rockets, bombs, or both?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Its looking well, I like it and much noted for my Monogram in the stash. Did I miss the boomy bits that you will be fitting? Rockets, bombs, or both?

No boomy bits on this one - clean as a whistle! Just the pylons -  and this way I've saved myself som time! :D

6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I love the finish. It looks great. Also, I'm surprised you got this far without breaking off the pitot tower on the nose. That would never happen on my work bench :D

You don't know how close it has been! :D

Cheers

Hans J

• Like 2

Oh yes - Oh yes! The decaling has begun! :yahoo:

FullSizeRender039_zpsykgc7xlg.jpg

When this is all done I'll give it another coat of gloss varnish to seal in the decals. When that has dried, the whole model will be given a ligth coat of matt in preparation for the weathering, which I'll keep to a minimum (maybe! :hmmm: )

But before I start the weathering, I'll leave the model alone for about a week to give the varnish a chance to fully cure!

Gives me a chance to start my DHC Caribou in the DeHavilland MegaGB too! :blush:

Hans J

• Like 5