Finished! - Monogram 1/48 Harrier Gr.1

Hi RMP2! :D

No, it's not the kit seat, which turned out to be a Stencil seat which was the type installed in the USMC AV-8A/C. :hmmm:

The correct seat for the Harrier GR.1A is a Martin Baker Mk. 9B. However I didn't have one at hand and couldn't find one online, so I used a Jaguar Martin Baker Mk. 9 - not correct either but closer than the kit seat. :blush:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Like 1

I think the key difference between the later Mk9 used in the Jaguar is that the parachute relocated to the head box from the seat back position in the Harrier. On your beautifully painted seat Hans, you can see the petals of the parachute box opening in the top of the head box and the harness lift webs dropping down across the head pad. In the Harrier, the head pad has a split down the centre, through which the drogue line passes on its way to the parachute; only the drogue (I think - but there may be a secondary drogue in there) lives in the head box and the main chute is in the seat back.

I think someone posted a link earlier to M-Bs site which has quite a few pics. If you know what you're looking for, you'll spot the difference immediately.

Mind you, even Harrier pedants like me are unlikely to get too aerated about a well finished Mk9 of the "wrong" type in a superb Harrier model. The more Harriers the better.

Kirk

Edit: For fellow pedants & rivet counters, here's a Harrier Mk.9. Give yourself a smug pat on the back if you can spot differences. Extra points if you happen to know that the one pictured is in fact a one-off development version that never flew and has part of it's BTRU made from unobtanium - or can correct my grammar.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 1

Hej Kirk! :D

Thanks for the input.

This is the first 1/48 early Harrier I've built, having built the Monogram AV-8B many moons ago (1992!! :o)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any aftermarket seat for the earlier Harriers :blush: - plenty for the Gr.7! :hmmm:

But it's Ok - time heals all wounds (and memories of a wrong seat!) :winkgrin:

Hans J

Incidentally, most aftermarket Mk.12 Seats (GR5/7/9) are wrong to varying degrees. I'll watch out for your next Harrier build and chirp in then :)

Nick "God-of-all-Harrier-Models" Greenall did a document for the SIG about the Mk.12 seat (in 1:48 I think) comparing various versions and suggesting improvements. I seem to recall that the Pavla was the best starting point - but worth a double check!

And seriously, don't lose any sleep about the Mk.9. Hollywood pretended that a Northrop F5 with a star on it is a "MiG".

Kirk

PS/ Is Aarhus in the middle of Aarstreet? :D

• Like 1

And so the weekend approaches! :frantic:

Another small update:

FullSizeRender026_zpsxd0b9rge.jpg

FullSizeRender027_zpsohxdcyyr.jpg

Now all I still need to attach are the Pitot and that little thingie just ahead of the canopy (I love planes, but I don't really know much about the details! :blush: )

Hans J

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HansReggelsen said:

Now all I still need to attach are the Pitot and that little thingie just ahead of the canopy (I love planes, but I don't really know much about the details! :blush: )

So the Harrier hovers, right? When doing so, it is of utmost importance that the pilot knows the wind direction. There is a phenomena known as "intake drag momentum" in which a relatively small amount of sideslip can induce roll beyond the limits of reaction control (from those little valves at the ends of the wings). When this happens the aircraft ends up on its back with the thrust nozzle pointing skywards - generally indicating the start of a very bad day for the pilot. To help avoid this, all that is needed is a little mechanical "weathercock" that the pilot can glance at and gain an appreciation of the  relative wind direction so he can put his/her boots to use on the rudder pedals. Normal forward flight, vane points straight ahead. Shortly before trouble it points at 90 degrees or so to the longitudinal axis. Don't ask me to explain the physics - John Farley does so eloquently on Pprune iirc.

8 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

That's just maadnes! ;)

Glad someone else is on my planet! :) :fool:

• Like 2

Hi Kirk! :D

Thank you for clearing that up for me - it's like that piece of string that was attached to the nose of the F-14 Tomcat! :winkgrin:

And please pardon me for not answering your question about Aarhus.

Aarhus is the second largest city of Denmark and I live 13 km west/southwest of it.

It's a great city which this year is the European Capitol of Culture! :frantic:

And I got the Madness reference as well, but I never shy away of a little advertising of Aarhus - I been living here since 1983 (but still sound like a southerner! :blush: )

Hans J

• Like 1

On 15/2/2017 at 6:06 AM, SoftScience said:

Thanks for the panel line tip. Do you let the paint dry before removing the tape?

Yes the paint has to be dry, otherwise you risk it spreading out a bit. :D

Hans J

On 15/02/2017 at 3:37 PM, Kirk said:

I think the key difference between the later Mk9 used in the Jaguar is that the parachute relocated to the head box from the seat back position in the Harrier. On your beautifully painted seat Hans, you can see the petals of the parachute box opening in the top of the head box and the harness lift webs dropping down across the head pad. In the Harrier, the head pad has a split down the centre, through which the drogue line passes on its way to the parachute; only the drogue (I think - but there may be a secondary drogue in there) lives in the head box and the main chute is in the seat back.

I think someone posted a link earlier to M-Bs site which has quite a few pics. If you know what you're looking for, you'll spot the difference immediately.

Mind you, even Harrier pedants like me are unlikely to get too aerated about a well finished Mk9 of the "wrong" type in a superb Harrier model. The more Harriers the better.

Kirk

Edit: For fellow pedants & rivet counters, here's a Harrier Mk.9. Give yourself a smug pat on the back if you can spot differences. Extra points if you happen to know that the one pictured is in fact a one-off development version that never flew and has part of it's BTRU made from unobtanium - or can correct my grammar.

The parachute was not re located to the headbox. The headbox contains (and has always contained) the duplex drogue system that slows down the seat after ejection.

The seat picture you have linked to depicts a Mk 9 post 1983 (it has the buckle stowages on the headbox that dates it) and the strap system is not representative of a GR1 Harrier or a GR3 prior to 1981.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn. Every day a learning day. :)

This proves my lack of knowledge on all things Jaguar is even worse than earlier Harriers.

I'd always understood that in the Harrier the drogue (or as you correct 'drogues' plural) were in the head box, and the line from them passes through the front of the head pad - hence the central split and the white cord visible in many a Harrier seat picture, whereas in the later(?) Jaguar, the webs passing over the head pad indicated that the harness attached to the parachute above - i.e. in the head box.

Is it just a repackaging of the drogues?

Ta,

Kirk

Gloomy monday update! :D
FullSizeRender029_zpsejkvoujk.jpg

I saw an episode of QI where they said that the song 'Gloomy Monday' was the most depressing song ever - and today is monday, the sky is gray and I'm about to embark upon a journey to my spraybooth! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 4

Nice masking job, get those edges well stuck!

Humbrol... as my stocks dwindle I am starting to discover what folk have been talking about re their quality these days - my 163 and 164 are old tins and lovely to use, not pleased to hear theyve changed.... :(

...and just when you thought it was safe to come by here again - I'm Back! :winkgrin:

Prior commitments took my time this week, but I've just put the first 'real' colour on:

FullSizeRender030_zpsnrtny1cl.jpg

Next colour - Green - Super Green! :thumbsup:

Hans J

• Like 4