Finished! - Monogram 1/48 Harrier Gr.1

OK - here we go! :pilot:

I've chosen an oldie for this 1) I've always wanted to build it, 2) I had it in the 'stash'! :winkgrin:

I plan on doing it as simple as I can.

Allthough I have some aftermarket stuff: Pavla Intake and Exhaust and Pavla Wing Pylons, I'm not sure that I'm going to use them. :hmmm:

I also have some rocketpods left over from an Academy Hawker Hunter and Xtra Decal X48107.

Here are the 'Genesis' pictures:

FullSizeRender001_zpssfhg4rqk.jpg

And here's the one I want to build:

FullSizeRender002_zps4mazblh8.jpg

I'll start with the cockpit, but allready there I have a question: Is Monogram's seat the correct one for a RAF Harrier or is it a US Marines seat? :hmmm:

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 9

Welcome to the GB Hans. I'm always happy to see another Harrier kit getting some attention and the 4 Sqn. ones have a nice dash of colour with the nose badge.

Any chance you can post a photo of the kit seat?

Thank you very much, Col & Hewy. :D

It's a thing from my childhood, where I saw an episode of 'The Saint' with Roger Moore, where he flies a Harrier.

I can't remember the episode, but it somehow has stayed with me all these years! :hmmm:

Here's a picture of the seat:

FullSizeRender003_zpsvkqtrwuc.jpg

Hans J

• Like 1

Hi Hans

The GR.1 & GR.3 were fitted with the Martin Baker MK9 seat and a majority of AV-8A's with the Stencel SEU-3A.

Google both and compare images, as I've just done and, I think you will find that seat looks much more like the AV-8 Stencel I'm afraid

A trip to the after market?

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Craig! :D

I have googled it and found the same as you, but couldn't find what the correct seat was! :hmmm:

Now - thanks to you - I do! :clap2:

After market - here I come! :frantic:

Hans J

PS: Well what do you know - way behind in the lowest drawer of my closet I found a seat that looks suspiciously like a Martin Baker Mk. 9! :clap2:

I actually didn't know I had it - must have bought it years ago! :hmmm:

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

I've chosen an oldie for this 1) I've always wanted to build it,

I've always wanted to build this as well.  I remember salivating over it when it was in my LMS window back in the day.

Just a minor word of warning over your markings.  The marking scheme shows a GR3 while I believe the kit depicts a GR1.  The main difference between the GR1 and GR3 is the engine (the RWR tail and LRMTS nose came much later). The GR3 has an extra bulge and antenna on the upper decking.

:popcorn: 

Just done a bit of research on your chosen markings.  I have some quite extensive data on first generation British Harriers.

In IV(AC) Sqn markings, XW916 was definately a GR3.

Built as a GR.1, XW916 made its first flight on 11 June 1972.  It was delivered to 20 Sqn in November 1971 and transferred to 3 Sqn in January 1972, where it was coded "07".  while with 3 Sqn it was converted to GR.1A standard - not a big deal...  it just required an engine change.

In early 1973 it was sent to RAF St Athan for conversion to GR.3 standard. In August 1972 it was delivered to 20 Sqn again.

In February 1977 it was transferred to IV(AC) Sqn, carrying the code W.  In 1980 it was converted to Phase 6 standard, which added the RWR tail, LRMTS nose and removed the RAT.  

I have worked on this jet. Whiskey was always an easy jet to work on, from an armament point of view.  You would think that all jets are the same, but it's not true.  Some jets are mishandled by their pilots and end up bent.  A bent Harrier is a nightmare to work with.  Whiskey was always one of the good ones. 

Sadly, Whiskey was lost on 17 June 1986. During a descent for a GCA approach into Yeovilton, the aircraft suffered an AC/DC failure (sadly not an uncommon occurence on a Harrier).  The pilot, Flt Lt Gerry Humphries (decent sort!), followed normal procedure and immediately advanced the throttle but the engine power dropped.  Flt Lt Humphries ejected safely; the aircraft crashed alongside the runway and was destroyed.

The accident was later found to be due to a mislocated circlip in the Fuel Control Unit, which caused fuel starvation when the throttle was retarded to approach power.  The aircraft wreckage was transferred to the dump at RAF Wittering, where it was cut up and sold for scrap in 1992.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

In February 1977 it was transferred to IV(AC) Sqn, carrying the code W.  In 1980 it was converted to Phase 6 standard, which added the RWR tail, LRMTS nose and removed the RAT.

Always learning something new on this site... I always thought the LRMTS was what differentiated a GR.3 from a GR.1 - didn't realise there were early GR.1s that didn't have it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, zebra said:

Always learning something new on this site... I always thought the LRMTS was what differentiated a GR.3 from a GR.1 - didn't realise there were early GR.1s that didn't have it.

The thing that differentiated the marks GR1, GR1A and GR3 was the engine.   The pointy nose was just a later added extra...   and then there was Phase 6.

Delighted to see the help and information coming forward in this thread. Thank you guys. Also delighted to hear you've found a suitable replacement seat Hans. Hope a trip to your LMS won't be too much of a hardship on you :) 

Wow! What a staggering amount of information! :clap2:

I knew this was the place for help and information, but this exceeds everything! :D

I also found this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234945032-harrier-gr1gr1a-visual-differences/&

So if I understand this correctly I can build the Monogram kit almost OOB (+new seat and I will have to add the small 'window' on the nose) ? :hmmm:

The reason I'm asking this is that time is of the essential for me as I foolishly :doh: have signed up for 5 GB's and they all take place from now to july! :winkgrin:

So i hope I don't disappoint you guys too much if I scimp some of the smaller details? :innocent:

Hans J - who must be getting on his way with this! :winkgrin:

And so it has begun! :viking:

A few pictures of the seat/cockpit.

Oh - I may add that all the pictures are taken with my IPhone 5S. :winkgrin:

FullSizeRender004_zpsn9kfbw9d.jpg

FullSizeRender005_zpsy3uhvzgu.jpg

FullSizeRender006_zpszftqe4pf.jpg

FullSizeRender007_zpsm9er8xv1.jpg

That's all for now - have a nice sunday! Here the weather is grey in grey and moist and really boring - so it's nice to have something like this to do! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 4

The clear part you've added to the nose is the camera which gave the Harrier its R for reconnaissance in the GR.1 designation :) Nice work there.

• Like 1

Thank you Col. for clearing that up for me - I simply didn't know! :blush:

Just to show that I've not been idle, I ve managed to get some  more work done: :)

FullSizeRender011_zpskff3sgzp.jpg

FullSizeRender012_zps2lffjywk.jpg

What can I say - I'm a sucker for superhero-movies - I even thought that Ben Affleck's Daredevil was great, not to mention Halle Berry in Catwoman! :wub:

Hans J

• Like 2

No problem at all Hans, glad I could be of help :) Those intakes are looking great as well.

As for Halle Berry in Catwoman; oh yes! :yahoo:

• Like 1