A bit Fiddly ++ FINISHED ++

In a fit of either bravery or insanity, decided it was time to tackle something which has been lurking in the stash for a while....

1573_rn.jpg

Reference materials downloaded to Kindle....

519T4kSga3L.jpg

"... we're going to need a bigger desk...."

IMG_20170204_110601863

WsfdMo4FPpQhBaPqPyJB0Qna2KQqjUH2QJixRQr9

IMG_20170204_110601863_zpsispfymzu.jpg

Edited by IanHx
title change
  • Like 11

You're a brave man Ian! Best of good luck with this one as it really is a stunning subject and I know how tough a fight the Amodel kit can put up.

Best of luck with this Ian! It's an 'interesting' kit, but there are some good builds online that show what you can do with it. I have one of these, been thinking about building it for a while, then I saw Trumpeter has announced it's going to release one...

Thanks for the words of support.

10:10 : commencing glueing of the first 6 pieces. Still have hope that somehow this kit's reputation is undeserved, and that it's not the A-monster everyone makes out.....

10:40 : end glueing. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.....

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

Put your big boy pants on Ian, you only have to build the kit. Imagine being one of the poor sods who had to build the real thing!

I'll be watching to see how you go. Those Soviet types are such interesting shapes. :popcorn:

Bit more research on how to get the right markings for a euro Fiddler.

The pictures I've seen so far for the Amderma based Fiddler's show green noses and blue Bort numbers. Can't use blue 49 supplied in the kit because that was 128UT Pelican, however it transpires that there was Bort 94 at Amderma....  I have a cunning plan involving scissors... :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IanHx said:

Thanks for the words of support.

10:10 : commencing glueing of the first 6 pieces. Still have hope that somehow this kit's reputation is undeserved, and that it's not the A-monster everyone makes out.....

10:40 : end glueing. I was wrong. Very, very wrong.....

Have a part assembled UT kit from the stash of a club member who passed away and must admit the fit of parts is daunting. Such things don't usually bother me but one of the main fuselage parts has a serious mismoulding that's going to take considerable work to resolve. Hopefully you don't find anything so horrific.

There are fit issues.....  and then there are fit issues......   not going to whinge about Airfix again in a hurry !

IMG_20170206_185717203

bU_Wx8Gk2gV1L-LvDT4A3K5vqswS6hQUaPOekbVJ

IMG_20170206_185717203_zpsms3otpux.jpg

Rivet-counters and accuracy fiends look away now -  :wall:

I reckon the easiest fix is probably taking 2mm out of the step in the furthest away side, just after the sticking out flange-y bit (which also needs to go) and then it will slide left into line.  

May not be hyper-accurate but who can tell from a distance ?  :whistle: 

Edited by IanHx

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Watching along, suspect from what I've heard of amodels kits fiddler and fiddly won't be the only f words to crop up......

Already started on the other f word - "filler".

Was convinced that throttle should have been on left, doing that meant that right hand side console was back to front, so had to flip it round and fill in the exposed hollow area.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

Well, the good news is the fuselage surgery worked a treat, should go together nicely with the aid of copious filler and mediocre standards :drink:

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2

Wings assembled. Cockpit tub glued into place. Currently guesstimating how much ballast weight to add into the nose, and deliberating (ok, procrastinating) whether or not to cut off the lug on the lower front fuselage that's supposed to help connect it to the rear half but in reality prevents the parts from fitting flushly.

• Like 1

I know that short-run kits can't be held to the same exacting standards as high-volume manufacturers, but if there was a prize for 'most woeful attempt at a circle in the history of humanity' then part number 20 was in with a shout :)

The problem bit is going to be the 'lid' over the rear fuselage. Once that and the intake covers are on then it should be plain sailing. In a kit as big as a barge !

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:44 AM, bianfuxia said:

Of course now you've started it, there's a Trumpeter kit coming this year :lalala:

What if it turns out to be a re-box of the Amodel kit ? :rofl:

Edited by IanHx