USN F-4J 'VF-84 Jolly Rogers Academy 1/72 " A great disaster "

Goodmorning

For this nice GB I chose this Phantom F-4J USN F-4J 'VF-84 'Jolly Rogers' USS Franklin D.Roosvelt  1970 in Mediterranean sea.

The Academy kit is very good, I get better with some photo-etched, but not all I think.

2_Box%20art_2_zpseglnel8j.jpg

1_Box%20art_zpsvtp356ai.jpg

I'll start in two weeks, I have two kit on workbench to finish !

byeeeee

:bye: Ettore

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been looking at Phantom builds for reference material and have spotted this scheme is the same as mine :coolio:

I went for 1:48 and didn't realise how large it was until the box turned up in the post :S 

I'll be watching this with extra interest!! 

I really rate this kit- it is unfortunate it got a bit of bad press for being 'snap together'.

However, the one-piece canopy is a very valid criticism. It rather negates the addition of lots of lovely photo-etched stuff to the cockpit! I think good resin seats and a bit of careful painting would be more than enough in there!

Good luck with the build!

Will

Edited by Killingholme

good evening everyone

It’s  strange to start from exhausts, but they were on the workbench and then I did it! The sequence of color was simple: first a nice bottom of gun metal externally and internally, then I sprayed, again internally, a sandy color to simulate the heat oxidation, then again I sprayed a bit of black on outer petals, immediately followed by washing with black oil colors; a very light dry silver brushing was done on the edges and finally very light brown pigments have completed the work.

3_Scarichi_zpsop2sqv1f.jpg

About cockpit I did only test after positioned and glued photoetched, now the problem will be masked all and to spray the grey; the  seats  will be in resin by Quickboost.

4_Test%20cockpit_zpsxsdofphj.jpg

Byeeeeeee

• Like 7

Good Sunday to All

I completed the cockpit, but let's go with order !
First I made the anterior wheel bay with much photoetched, the work was  long,  busy and boring, with much use of cyanoalit glue.

5_Dettaglio%20vano%20carrello%20anterior

About cockpit, last thing to do were the resin seat, the base color in a nato black  with a little drybrushing grey; the main pillow is olive drab,  the back cushion is medium green, and at end another drybrushing silver.  The abitacle was also glued on place

6_cockpit%20in%20%20sede_zps1dpbjnsw.jpg

7_cockpit%20in%20%20sede_2_zpscpvdqe4v.j

The gunsight received a tiny upgrade : the lens

8_Gunsight_zpskz3v49l2.jpg

Now the fuselages are ready to closure.

9_semifusoliere%20pronte_zpsu4r0igbt.jpg

• Like 11

I'll be watching this, some good tips so far about exhaust & cockpit, maybe wheel well too much for me but it looks good all the same. I just bought the early boxing of this, I'm keen to do one in F-4J(UK) scheme, maybe another one for Jolly Rogers plane too, I've got plenty of JR decals. :)

Steve.

For SoftScience : I use a nato black Tamiya XF68 and a common yellow, but with a brush n° 00000 ( 5 Zero)......
Then I throw my eyes into the garbage :D

• Like 2

Hi All !

Finally I can show you a lot of little jobs
I closed the fuselage and I filled with putty many places too visible to the eye, of course also  all the areas between wing and fuselage

10_Semifusoliere%20e%20prese%20daria%20i

To glue wings and fuselage has asked many wolfcraft pliers, better to be safe !

11_Incollaggo%20generale%20vista%20infer

12_Incollaggo%20generale%20vista%20super

Now we see a bit of color, first the black nose with radar cone that I filled with vinilic glue and a 15 gr. fishing lead

13_Muso%20nero_zpstxfct6hf.jpg

the coloring of exhaust area was more laborious, I masked the outlet pipes of gas, then I sprayed the gun metal , darkened with black and then  blacks and brown pigments

14_Materiali%20per%20gli%20scarichi_zpsy

The upper part of this zone was colored in polished aluminum, using even here various pigments; The exhaust pipes were taken with black, a silver dry brushing on edges and internal sand color, to simulate the burning of hot gas.

15_Polished%20aluminum%20parte%20superio

16_Internal%20exhaust%20gas%20burns_zpsp

and this is all !

Edited by Ettore
  • Like 9

You are doing beautiful work. I'm curious how the kit parts look in comparison to the things you replaced them with.

I am thinking of getting this kit, but it is pricey in America. In your opinion, is the cockpit in the box usable? The exhausts?

Hello SoftScience

When I'll have a little time, 'll glue the pieces of the box apart and put them next to the kit
modeling magazine and then remained to me, I was lucky !

Ettore

• 3 weeks later...

Directly from airport..............I'm at job.......a little upgrade:

I paint the black rudder with yellow and silver strips, unlike I broken a probe, ma is not difficult to do it;

the horizontal stabilizers are not glued because i must complete it with yellow strips on tips and dirty smoke  on surfaces.

17_Timone%20posteriore_zpsqjfov0yf.jpg

I did, in parallel, the wheels bays and speed brakes,  using some Eduard  photoetched

19_Vani%20carrelli%20ed%20aerofreni_zpso

Now a general view

18_Vista%20disieme_zpscntj7bon.jpg

Next step will be to glue the canopy, unfortunately Academy gives, in the box, only a closed canopy and is  difficult to cut it in differents sections for me :rant:
This time will be closed !
  • Like 6