Yak-28P Firebar

3 hours ago, zebra said:

Both alclad 2... the cobweb thing was just plain weird. Never seen anything like it.

The wing lances didn't fit well - had to file them down quite a bit to get them in. To be fair this was the only really poorly fitting part of the whole kit.

As for the spine fin - I'm surprised it's still there - plenty of time for me to break it off yet! Not a big fan of having these parts moulded on to the fuselage, way too easy to break off, I've been careful and been ok so far although one of the odd rods on the nose is looking a bit wobbly.

I lost all three of those, had to replace them with wire. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

I lost all three of those, had to replace them with wire. 

The thing about this that I don't really understand is the manufacturer's inconsistent approach - parts like this that in just about any other kit would be separate are moulded on, but in other areas there are small fiddly parts moulded separately (e.g. the three small parts you have to add to the front instrument panel coaming) that most other manufacturers would have moulded on!

• Like 1

Productive day today. A couple of painting sessions over the weekend and it was looking like this at the start of the day:

Yak-28 WIP

I went with just a couple of shades of Alclad - white aluminium and dark aluminium. I would have thought there would be more contrast, but as some photos don't show much contrast between panels on the real thing I'm happy enough with this. Not my best finish though.

Day off work today and managed to get a fair bit done. Decals are on, various small parts added and painted. Not a lot left to do now - just the missiles really.

The blade antenna on the spine is (miraculously!) still there. The wobbly odd rod came off and has been replaced. Decals went on very well - thin, adhered well, no carrier film showing. 

Here's how it's looking tonight:

Yak-28 - nearly done

• Like 6

- Good job....nice metal finish

-..I just began mine today and already problems shows their ugly tip of their nose, first no pointed long nose I wanted to built, missing in the kit ? losted somehow and somewhere?  stolen by Sir TOMY my cat adviser  or by the workbench gremlin I can't tell ....so I have to rely on the short nose type ....its's a Firebar too after all, ..then the seats , they just try to imitate the K-5 MH equiping that breed of Yak- 28, As there is no A.M replacement, let's go for the kit ones , I wish there will be no more deconvenue......as on the other way this kit looks good..

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The only things left to do on this build were the missiles. I've always found painting missiles a bit tedious and many of my builds don't need them, but a Yak-28P with nothing under the wings doesn't look right, so it had to be done. Over the last few weeks I've been cracking on with some other builds, and working on the missiles here and there. Painting them took a bit of time - they somehow just didn't want to be white! Anyway that's done now and the first two - the AA-3 Anabs - are on. The Sidewinders (sorry, Atolls!) are painted and just need decalling. I don't get a lot of modelling time during the week but might be able to get that done this week.

Here's how it's looking with an AA-3 under the wing:

Yak-28P - nearly finished

• Like 3

Finally got around to putting some decals on the Atolls and attaching them to the wings so I'm calling this finished. One photo below - more in the gallery. 

Quite pleased with how this has turned out. It's a nice kit - not perfect, not without its quirks, could do with a more detailed cockpit, but a nice kit and who'd have thought we'd have had a 1/48 Fireball anyway? - and if they do a Brewer I'll be first in line. The natural metal finish looks better than the photo shows - you can't really see the differences between panels in the photos. Would I build one again? Yes, but I won't - too many other models to make!

Yak-28P - finished

• Like 4