SAR Seaking rotor blades

Planebuilder62

Hi there

I have bought the new Airfix Seaking and I am going to build it in the yellow OOB scheme with the main rotor folded. Does the single yellow rotor blade always stow in the same location every time or Is it random where it finishes up?

Regards

Toby

There's plenty of ex-Queenie types on here that will answer the question.

IIRC (having assisted with Queenie blade folding a couple of times - but this was I hasten to add a very long time ago), there was one blade that didn't fold and was positioned over the tail-boom, the remaining four folding.

What I don't know like you, is whether the yellow only went in one position on the head but a blade is a blade and could in theory go anywhere on the head, I've also wondered whether it was possible to see more than one yellow blade on a head?

My memory is a bit faded now but I believe that the pilot has a handbrake to make the final stop of the blades, when they've slowed right down of course.  As the yellow is topside, I don't think the pilot can see where the yellow blade is and therefore the position of the blades could be any way round once stopped.

Mike

Just now, bootneck said:

My memory is a bit faded now but I believe that the pilot has a handbrake to make the final stop of the blades, when they've slowed right down of course.  As the yellow is topside, I don't think the pilot can see where the yellow blade is and therefore the position of the blades could be any way round once stopped.

Mike

That handbrake is called a Rotor Brake, but other than that you are correct, the blades could be repositioned anywhere by turning the tail rotor manually.

The rotor set up tends to be different for Air Displays as the aircraft are prepared for visual effect but I'm not sure that is always the case during operational flying and stowing.

Mike

I'd wondered the same Mike but images of the HAR.3 with its blades folded at the right angle to see the blade colour seem to be difficult to come by. :)

Can't make out much in this shot: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29288836@N00/9321014141/

This one seems to show it off-centre: https://www.flickr.com/photos/urklesaviation/8161999904/

I must admit that I have never seen a folded SAR Sea King outside, apart from air displays.  Even in the hangar they can still be in a ready condition.

The only photo that I have which shows a SAR Sea King's yellow blade position is this one of ZE368 in the Falklands. It shows the blade forward and left which, if folded, would put the blade down the port side.

ze368_at_mpa_falklands_nov_2009_1024.jpg

The image below is not one I have taken but it does show a folded SAR Sea King's rotor head.  Note the yellow blade appears to be front right. so the blade is down the starboard side.

rotor_head_folded.jpg

From these two images, I would presume that there is no set position for folding the blades.  Probably the only time the yellow blade is down the centre-line is for aesthetics at displays.

Edit: I've just had a look on Google Earth and checked out RAF Valley and RMB Chivenor. They show the parked SAR Sea Kings have the yellow blade in different positions on each aircraft.

HTH

Mike

Edited by bootneck
  • Like 1

When the pilot selects 'blade fold' the head will rotate until the blade without any folding gear is over the tail boom then folding commences. This from some flying on Canadian Sea Kings which I am guessing operate the same as Westland birds??

• Like 3

Hi, Sofus et al, Flyboy72nd is right.  The same blade will always be over the tail pylon.  Each hinge has a different geometry.  On a point of detail, blades are normally refered to by colour codes on the pitch links, to help avoid confusion during adjustments.  I have one photo showing the yellow (painted) blade on the yellow (tape marked) position on a HAR3, but am not sure if this was sop to reduce the opportunity for a visit by Murphy.

Regards

Tim

Blade number 1 will come to rest over the spine, on RN aircraft it's easily checked by the engineer on the starboard side by looking for the white mark (vertical white line) on the transmission cowl. This denotes the head is in the correct position for folding, can't speak for the crab Sea Kings.

Just checked Bootneck's pic above and it shows the number 4 blade pitch link is painted white, it aligns with the Black vertical line on the cowl, good to fold. The slipring in the bottom of the main gearbox aligns and the interlocks on the main rotor head release and the hydraulics kick in to fold the head/blades, simple's.

Blade upper colour doesn't matter, the blades will be installed by the engineers by weight, track signature and sometimes by age. When the blades are tracked and balanced then they normally get colour coded to the main rotor head, usually by a colour band at the root of the blade matching the colour on the main rotor head and finally by the pitch link.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1