Academy 1/72 F4U-1 Corsair.... she's a Birdcage

Howdy Folks

It has been a very long time since I finished anything at all so I was very glad to finally get this one to the cabinet of glory.

Very typical 1/72 Academy.

Quite nice detail, good price but geez I had to wrestle with the decals!

Paints were Testors Model Master.

I chose to do a reverse wash on the wings and fuselage with sort of a greyish artist watercolour thinned with water and with a drop of detergent added.

Some weathering and chipping with a silver pencil.

Exhaust stains etc were my dry artist pastels scraped and dusted on. 

Some oily stains around the top filler forward of the canopy were just some thin artist watercolour

Aerial is ezy-line.

Seat belts are little fabric ones from Kami Zukuri (5 bucks for 6 sets) touched up with a silver pen for the buckles

Here's the pics.....hope you like her.

IMG_9782_zpsg8a6yc7b.jpg

IMG_9784_zpsdevks4mr.jpg

IMG_9785_zpshpibiach.jpg

IMG_9786_zpseo2b4zzu.jpg

IMG_9803_zpsj1bkomya.jpg

IMG_9791_zpski2qtwzm.jpg

IMG_9793_zpsx65awack.jpg

IMG_9795_zpslipbxapu.jpg

IMG_9813_zpsrdjnlsag.jpg

IMG_9826_zpswstospsi.jpg

IMG_9789_zpsjxsbvxwh.jpg

Thanks heaps for looking

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 27

27 minutes ago, giemme said:

Great to see you back, Bruce :thumbsup:

Nice job with this Corsair, despite of Academy infamous decals :clap: Love the way you weathered her!

Ciao

Very kind my friend  ...thank you :D

It's been a long time!

The weathering is very clumsy but the Corsairs in the Pacific had a tough life so I decided just have a bit of fun with this

Glad to have finally finished something and hopefully get back on a bit of a roll!

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Hi and welcome back!

I like your weathering take on this Corsair. As you rightly say, they did suffer in the Pacific.

Shame about the silvering of some of the decals. I run away from Academy decals as much as I can, and I am not the only one, from what I read in this forum!

Great show!

JR

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi and welcome back!

I like your weathering take on this Corsair. As you rightly say, they did suffer in the Pacific.

Shame about the silvering of some of the decals. I run away from Academy decals as much as I can, and I am not the only one, from what I read in this forum!

Great show!

JR

Thanks Jean.

I've made a lot of Academy kits and never really noticed issues with the decals. This one though the decals were like leather and no amount of Micro Sol or Micro Set would settle them down. 

Then as you rightly pointed out  the silvering....... aaaggh!

I actually have quite a few more Academy kits in the stash so I hope they're not all like this one.

If they are I will definitely look at aftermarket options.

Cheers

Bruce 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BerndM said:

Great little Corsair with a well applid weathering and you have mastered the Academy decals.

Birdcage ?

:clap2:

Thanks heaps!

The "Birdcage" (as I understand) is a reference to the early Corsair's canopy construction.

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Thanks heaps!

The "Birdcage" (as I understand) is a reference to the early Corsair's canopy construction.

Cheers

Bruce

As far as i know a Birdcage Corsair should look like this. Your Corsair is an early F4U-1a with thin propeller blades and the newer but more braced canopy.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVgc-EwfvRAhWoBsAKHRhhBlYQFghXMAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamiya.com%2Fenglish%2Fproducts%2F60774f4u_1%2F&usg=AFQjCNFuvIvkgE9HtfpVLfDGVEReF97J6Q&sig2=wlumnGYjJREMn9wJ7YzzHQ

Despite this a very nice build

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, BerndM said:

As far as i know a Birdcage Corsair should look like this. Your Corsair is an early F4U-1a with thin propeller blades and the newer but more braced canopy.

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjVgc-EwfvRAhWoBsAKHRhhBlYQFghXMAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamiya.com%2Fenglish%2Fproducts%2F60774f4u_1%2F&usg=AFQjCNFuvIvkgE9HtfpVLfDGVEReF97J6Q&sig2=wlumnGYjJREMn9wJ7YzzHQ

Despite this a very nice build

I think you are spot on.

My apologies

I am no expert but it seems mine is an F4U-1A with a higher canopy and less frames not an original F4U-1 Birdcage as you have rightly pointed out.

Really appreciate the feedback

I think I might just have to go and track down the real deal and have a crack at another Corsair!

Thanks heaps

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

Bird cage or no, you've built a really nice Corsair. The nice thing about Corsairs is they're a bit like Spitfires, you can't have too many of them & there is a huge variety of types & finishes, so lots of scope for more than just a Birdcage after this one. :)

Steve.

• Like 2