Super deformed Viper MkII

I have been on a little kick of building these character planes ( Tiger Models Cute series, the Meng bombers and some Hasegawa Egg Planes)  When I saw this kit. 

But what really got me to part with my money this morning was being in the hobby shop and seeing someone else with the kit in his hands mulling over wether to buy it or not….  He put it back on the shelf as I quietly scooped it up and quickly bought it. :D MINE,MINE, ALL MINE!!!!

The box artwork is quite nice in a retro kind of way.

SD%20Viper%2001.jpg

I was like a little kid and after about an hour and a half I had the sucker press fitted together.

SD%20Viper%2002.jpg

SD%20Viper%2003.jpg

SD%20Viper%2004.jpg

And I have tried it out on my usual base to see if it will work.

SD%20Viper%2005.jpg

To say I am happy is an understatement.  Great little kit.  It has no cockpit, and on some deep reflection I'm not going to try and scratch build one, though you could pretty easily do one.  The kit comes with both decals and stickers.  I will paint the stripes and use a few decals.  I will also beat the ever-loving daylights out of it weathering wise because that's the kind of guy I am.  I hope you like my little Viper, thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 8

Thanks guys I am glad you like this little beastie. They are sweet little critters with endless modification possibilities.  It would be great to have an X-wing and TIE Fighter in the set too!

Progress;

SD%20Viper%2006.jpg

SD%20Viper%2007.jpg

I had to sort out the stand as the way the kit is designed it is trapped between the two main fuselage halves and isn't removable.  That's a non-starter in my book.  Also the kit is quite big and heavy on the stand and I thought it could use some beefing up.  To attempt to fix this I added a thin sheet of styrene to fill in the front of the base and flared it all in with lashings of superglue used as a filler.  To get a detachable stand I embedded some small powerful magnets into the arm and corisponding ones into one side of the fuselage.  I left just the front and back bit of the attachment point to act as locators.  This works quite well and I can turn the whole lot upside down and the model is still firmly attached. I am now working on a way to modify the kit to allow me to add the tail faring as one piece after the whole lot is assembled.  

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3

This is it for the weekend, not bad for a few hours work.

I would like to build another one and add a cockpit and landing gear as well :D:D:D 

I did break my rule and added some 2mm strips to the interior of the exhaust cans as they looked pretty week.  

Progress; ( Basic primer )

SD%20Viper%2008.jpg

SD%20Viper%2009.jpg

I made a couple of cuts with a razor saw to allow the rear fairing to be put on after painting.  This means that all the major seams work can be done now.

I have looked over this basic primer and there should only be a little touch up to do to get the finish coat looking good.  The kit goes together surprisingly well.

SD%20Viper%2010.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Progress?:

I love painting but it is always a two steps forward, one side back and one step to the side exercise for me.  Here is where I'm at right now.  Base colour on, and starting with beating up the finish.  I need to get a bit more done before I tackle the stripes.  I have just about got the black base the way I want it, but it still needs a touch of love.

SD%20Viper%2012.jpg

SD%20Viper%2011.jpg

Once the highlights go on it will come back to a more white colour.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 6

One of the great joys of these little critters is the freedom to do whatever you want without a rivet counter in sight.

Last pictures for the weekend, where did all that time go?

Starting the stripes:

SD%20Viper%2015.jpg

and the back end:

SD%20Viper%2016.jpg

Overall.

SD%20Viper%2017.jpg

I'm just junking along doing little bits and pieces as I go.

Thanks for stopping by for a look.

Dan

• Like 8

If you can pick this kit up on the cheap I would suggest you do it.  I paid full whack and I'm loving it to bits.  A average modeller could knock this guy out in a couple of weekends and have a great time doing it, and a neato looking build.  I'm just messing about with the painting because that's what I like to do. :huh:

Last pics this weekend as I'm off to start my never ending Honey- DO list  frantic.gif  doh.gif

One side finished, sorta...

SD%20Viper%2020.jpg

Back end finished, sorta...

SD%20Viper%2021.jpg

And some close ups to show what I'm up to.  I like the patina that is building up even though shooting pics under lights tends to just wash the whole lot out to a lumpy off white.

SD%20Viper%2022.jpg

SD%20Viper%2023.jpg

Thanks for stopping by to look at my ramblings.

Dan

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Progress;

Wings starting to get some paint.  I have some tricky masking for the rear red stripe, fingers crossed I don't stuff it up.

SD%20Viper%2024.jpg

SD%20Viper%2025.jpg

ZOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!

SD%20Viper%2026.jpg

:D I'm just a big kid.

Hopefully I've get a bit more done this long weekend ;)

Thanks Pete for you kind comments.

Dan

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Cracking work! How are you doing the chipping on the stripes? Fluid or some special method?  Looks spot on.

Geoff 

I was wondering exactly the same thing as the chipping looks perfect and I want to steal the technique!