B-45A Tornado -- Never Made Mach 2 but Mach2 made it

Hello all,

As promised here are final build pictures of my 1:72 scale B-45A Tornado from the Mach2 kit, with a few mods. It is only a little unusual in that it depicts a B-45A from the Air Test Center in cold-weather markings, probably tat Ladd AFB, Alaska, circa 1948-1952. Also unusual is the fact that the arctic markings are not seen on the wingtips. I cannot recall another model of this aircraft depicting the boarding ladders.

Built thread is here:

Without further ado, the photos:

B45D001-vi.jpg

B45D002-vi.jpg

B45D003-vi.jpg

Oops -- windshield washer needs a little bending!

B45D004-vi.jpg

B45D005-vi.jpg

I'm sort of proud of that rear boarding ladder!

B45D006-vi.jpg

B45D007-vi.jpg

B45D008-vi.jpg

B45D009-vi.jpg

B45D010-vi.jpg

B45D011-vi.jpg

B45D012-vi.jpg

B45D013-vi.jpg

B45D014-vi.jpg

B45D015-vi.jpg

And that's all f-f-olks!

Once again was stuck trying to figure out how to show use on a newer, pretty-well maintained aircraft -- while in Alaska. She's not pristine, but not really dirty either. This is my best guess...

Thanks for looking. Comments, criticisms and critique always welcome.

Ed

• Like 57

Great job on the Tornado Ed, I`ve built a couple of Mach 2 kits myself and can appreciate the effort you made to achieve that high standard, nice one

• Like 1

Hello Mr Ed,

I followed the building very carefully and congratulations:yes:

A few mods, you're more than modest on this one:D

I really appreciate, the weathering seem perfect to me, looking at photos from the times being, they are few...but to me it's pristine !

Very nice job and thank again, now my question is, did I finish my B-47 or put her aside and start the B-45.

That may be start the Tornado and carry on for the 2 together.

I'm definitely not reasonable :unsure:

Thank you again.

Corsaircorp

Thanks for all the kind remarks, folks.

I had long wanted to build a B-45, but had to work up to it! Funny thing is, I didn't realize until I put the finished model into the display case, is that's it's about the same size as a B-24!

Also, it was one of the very few U.S. Air Force planes that I never got so see fly; had only seen the one at the Museum of the Air Force in Dayton.

I hope some of you will build some yourselves, particularly those RB-45C types, which should take less time to build. Also, I wish Meng or someone would come out with a new kit, as the Mach2 ones are pretty expensive these days.

Ed

3 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Also, it was one of the very few U.S. Air Force planes that I never got so see fly; had only seen the one at the Museum of the Air Force in Dayton.

There is an old and obscure SF movie called "The Magnetic Monster" that has a few scenes of one in flight, Not the same as seeing it in person, but it is something.

Great build Ed, a fascinating aircraft and I always enjoy seeing a MACH2 kit built........especially when built well like yours........and I love the rear gunner's boarding ladder too...........

I think I might be sending Didier Palix an email asking him to bring me a B-45 to the next Scale Model World...........

Excellent

Adrian

Edited by adey m

Ed, another great effort to turn out this beautiful Tornado. Also a personal favourite, I once built a tiny Frog / Comet kit of the aircraft , about 7" span, loved the thing ever since.

Great work,   Trev.

Again, thanks for all the kind remarks.

Interesting to note that this aircraft could deliver the same payload as the later B-47 -- just not as high or as fast! It's also worth remembering that this was America's sole "somewhat viable"  means of delivering an atomic weapon, for nearly 8 years, till the B-47 got on-line. Once the Air Force found out that Russia and China had jets that the B-29s couldn't counter, there were no other options. Of course, any of these missions in this aircraft would have been strictly one way...

Ed

Steven, only I could make something look that hard! It was really pretty easy, once I fugured out what I needed to do.

And Christian, of course you realize that this is all your fault!

Ed

• Like 1

Well done Ed on 2 fronts:

1.  You wrestled that "challenging" Mach 2 kit into a fantastic looking model.

2.  The jinx worked and Valom has just announced a new-tool B-45 to be released later this year, saving the rest of us mere mortals from having to battle with the Mach 2 beast.

Those who can't be bothered with Mach 2 kits salute you! :)

Well done Ed - a sound result after all your work. NMF looks particularly convincing.

A minor point, if I may. .  I have built a couple of Mach2 kits and found the transparencies to verge on the opaque as yours appear to be. My method to get them almost fully useable is to polish them with a hankie and toothepaste until they gleam, then use the polishing 12000 grit stick to give them a really high gloss finish. I then dip them in Future, or Humbrol's new water-based Clear gloss varnish - shake and allow to stand for a few hours on a soft cloth with a dust cover over the top. You will find them almost like vacformed clarity.

Hope this is useful and not seen as criticism.

Edited by Horatio Gruntfuttock
spelling mistake