1/72 Condor MiG-25

23 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh I have...and I will also show her this..

Col made me order the full range of Sukhoi and MiG...it makes good economic sense. 

I think the late Flankers though are a blue turquoise rather than emerald green...more paint means more models..thanks Col

Think of it as an investment. After all between inflation and the price of a barrel of oil rising again plastic is bound to get more expensive in the future ;) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Think of it as an investment. After all between inflation and the price of a barrel of oil rising again plastic is bound to get more expensive in the future ;) 

This is very sound advice indeed...I cannot see the Easter holiday going by without said investments.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

For all gray, the best panel "wash" is pencil. Just trace then lines

Rub gently if it's too.stark (instant "Spanish School" effect from the smudging" and seal with a clear coat. Works better on flat paints.

I will give that a try, sounds quite artistic too. I think I might be matt varnishing this as the gloss is too sticky and shines too bright. Though I glossed my FW190 and the effect is much better, looks metallic. Thanks I am going to try the pencil work.

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh the hardship! You can never have too much WARPAC stuff in the stash.

I have never used ink for washes (though plenty do and get good results) so can't help with that one I'm afraid. When I do mine (eventually!) I will use a very watered down acrylic like one of Revell's (great paints) and use a dark grey rather than a black.

Looking at the underside can be unnerving at times as we all concentrate on the upper surfaces.

Keep going mate as you are definitely getting there and I like how she looks so far.

Thanks, such good advice and now wish I'd made enquiries before covering my bird in an oil slick, that dark ink is like oil..

cant wait to see more progress on your 25 too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few issues, should my cockpit panel be in emerald green as in photo above or black? Can the rear wing parts(No idea what they are called) be posed down or up rather than straight for a bit of interest? And despite loads of decal fix by humbrol there is still lots of carrier film visible on the Bort numbers and visible on starboard wing star below. The decals on this kit are not great..

IMG_4514_zps6mjs3aa1.jpg

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 3

Coming along nicely. In answer to your question I have found some photos with the tailplanes as you have them in the picture above, some the other way around and some n a neutral straight position. So I think that the choice is yours.

• Like 1

Nice work Valkyrie, really coming along now.

As Jabba says above the taiplanes, whilst usually level can indeed be seen at an angle on some birds. The panel in the cockpit covering the instrument panel should be black rather than the cockpit green colour.

Keep going mate you are nearly there now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Coming along nicely. In answer to your question I have found some photos with the tailplanes as you have them in the picture above, some the other way around and some n a neutral straight position. So I think that the choice is yours.

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice work Valkyrie, really coming along now.

As Jabba says above the taiplanes, whilst usually level can indeed be seen at an angle on some birds. The panel in the cockpit covering the instrument panel should be black rather than the cockpit green colour.

Keep going mate you are nearly there now!

Great guys thanks for this guys! Tailplanes good I am learning all the time. I think I would like to pose them down, hopefully take the eyes away from the poorer details. Il get the panel in black, just loved that emerald paint and went a bit daft. Good job I've got a couple more MiGs to use the paint up. 

I want mine to look even a bit like yours MM

• Like 1

Ok comrades and good NATO people..canopy masked by my own fair hand....tedious time consuming but given the standard on this GB nothing less than a proper attempt will do so hopefully it will be worth it. Given some of the lines a quick shade with pencil as advised and I will try the panel highlighting dry brushing technique too. May as well as I want to get experience of these techniques and I want this to be a right dirty proper 70s used dirty beast. Any tips for the final push would be most welcome. Spaseeba

IMG_4518_zps7tj8yoyc.jpg

• Like 2

I  bought one last week and it is winding it's way to my house as we speak. Ah the smell of styrene in the morning but of course a cup of coffee first thing

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Val it looks like you've done a pretty decent job of that ,i like it 

Glynn

I actually do too the more I look at it. Ruddy great hole where the intake is joined on, how do I get rid of that?

l would be curious to know that the external differences is between this one and the one that was flown to Japan back in the day. I think it was an A version

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hacker said:

l would be curious to know that the external differences is between this one and the one that was flown to Japan back in the day. I think it was an A version

All the blurb is about that MiG 25 being flown to Japan but then the decals for it aren't in it 🤔

19 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Lovely looking Mig mate, the weathering is looking convincing too. 

Thanks very much! I've only ever done clean factory fresh stuff and I was a bit scared in case i ruined it, but I think a Russian MiG looks good dirty and if you think this is a good attempt I'm well happy, thanks again!

• Like 1

I am due to explode...kit instructions do not show how to fit the u/c and making it the parts are numbered wrong and then back to front! Arrgghhh 

IMG_4543_zpshsflcnty.jpg

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

Coming along very well. Yes the U/C is a real minefield. Hope all goes well.

Thanks Jabba guess it's these difficulties that keep us sharp, not an easy hobby, still fun tho

On 4/14/2017 at 3:34 AM, SoftScience said:

For all gray, the best panel "wash" is pencil. Just trace then lines

Rub gently if it's too.stark (instant "Spanish School" effect from the smudging" and seal with a clear coat. Works better on flat paints.

Really enjoyed this technique and the results are pretty super, very arty too. I'd use it again spesh on a dirty MiG 

• Like 1