Twilight of the Britons

Ancient Britain. Circa 60AD. Morning of the Battle of Watling Street.

Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, and her allies stand on a hill watching the Roman Legions of Provincial Governor Gaius Seutonius Paulinus form up in the valley below. Confident in their overwhelming numbers, the Britons little suspect that within the next few hours, their so-far successful revolt will be swept into the dust of a history written by the victors. 

It's hardly surprising that the Roman commanders would be amazed to learn they're actually going to create a cultural icon who down the centuries would attain legendary status throughout the British Isles.

1.%207-Apr-16.jpg

2.%207-Apr-16.jpg

3.%207-Apr-16.jpg

4.%207-Apr-16.jpg

5.%207-Apr-16.jpg

6.%207-Apr-16.jpg

7.%207-Apr-16.jpg

8.%207-Apr-16.jpg

All figures are 75mm white metal from Pegaso Miniatures, although I seem to remember there's a couple from Masterclass or Alexandros Models in there as well, (must be the Iceni's allies that I mentioned earlier).

Diorama base is a cheap(ish) Chinese miniature display table. Groundwork is celluclay, with grass, trees, etc., from the usual suspects; Reality in Scale, Silfor, Scenic Express, and so on. The standing stones were cobbled together from some white goods packaging material.

The sunrays are real and appear on the photos by sheer accident. Happy accident though as they're pretty effective.

Cheers

H

• Like 21

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

tasty

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Very creative figure painting at it's very best!

Cheers -- glad you both like it.

12 hours ago, Darby said:

Now that is different. Excellent work. Especially like the pattern on Boudicca's cloak. The detail on the figures is superb. A job well done methinks.

Glad you like the dio mate. 

Yeah, Boudicca was obviously a frequent shopper at the end of season sales in the Norfolk branch of Burberry's country-wide network of factory outlet shops....:lol:....picked up a nice little bargain there.

Edited by Cadman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes very well set out and painted  i like it

Glynn

1 hour ago, colin said:

Superb skills on show there, and the composition looks so natural :goodjob:

Thanks guys, and I'm glad you like it cos although the figures seem to be just standing around, I do think the story comes across okay.

Here's a couple of additional snaps I took earlier this evening up in our display room that clearly show the miniature table that I built the small diorama onto. 

Of course, you can also clearly see the fact that I still have to clean up the table and give it a nice shiney gloss finish....:P

Sorry about all the shadows in the photos. It's dark o'clock with me at the moment, so I had to use the camera flash when I took the shots.

Cheers

H

CT_11-Feb-2017_a.jpg

CT_11-Feb-2017_b.jpg

• Like 2

wow - this is very different but very interesting. I must admit, my mind would not normally have included or given a second thought to this era of modelling but its good that you have as this is something very good and I just love the detail and quality of your paint work - something I could not match by any standard. I love the shield designs and the facial expressions - particularly the rider with the red/white chequered trousers

A beautifully presented diorama and a delight to study

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - this is very different but very interesting. I must admit, my mind would not normally have included or given a second thought to this era of modelling but its good that you have as this is something very good and I just love the detail and quality of your paint work - something I could not match by any standard. I love the shield designs and the facial expressions - particularly the rider with the red/white chequered trousers

A beautifully presented diorama and a delight to study

Thanks for that - glad you like it....:smile:

Please bear in mind that these are top-of-the-line sculpts from Pegaso and Masterclass Models..

A well sculpted figure can make even mediocre painting look good as some of the designs you see are already etched onto the metal during the casting process. Where these aren't present, you then have to rely on a bit of freehand painting, which I'll admit isn't all that easy unless you "cheat" a bit.

This is top secret. The figures were primed with vallejo white primer first and then the designs were sketched out with a pencil. That's what provided such a good basis for the subsequent painting - but please don't tell anyone....:wink: 

Edited by Cadman

7 minutes ago, Billydick said:

Something refreshingly different ! Not only the painting of the figures, but the groundwork as well.  Really nice.  Thank you :)

BillyD

Cheers mate.

Groundwork I can do. Buildings? That's a different story....:(

2 hours ago, Cadman said:

Thanks for that - glad you like it....:smile:

Please bear in mind that these are top-of-the-line sculpts from Pegaso and Masterclass Models..

A well sculpted figure can make even mediocre painting look good as some of the designs you see are already etched onto the metal during the casting process. Where these aren't present, you then have to rely on a bit of freehand painting, which I'll admit isn't all that easy unless you "cheat" a bit.

This is top secret. The figures were primed with vallejo white primer first and then the designs were sketched out with a pencil. That's what provided such a good basis for the subsequent painting - but please don't tell anyone....:wink: 

secrets safe with me !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carius said:

Amazing work, indeed.  The detail on the figures is fantastic.

Cheers.

It's perhaps an unuasual topic but I'm glad it had such a positive reception from so many other members of this forum.

Cheers

H