Matchbox 1/72 Aeritalia G-91Y

Hi Guys,

As I mentioned before, Old Thumper has made me yearn for the building the Matchbox kits of my youth, so I am in with this beastie. I am not sure whether to build it literally straight from the box in homage to my childhood, or improve it slightly (i.e. jet pipes). Anyway, I am looking forward to getting started.

Dave

IMG_20170203_131150_zpsl9xvkqjs.jpg

• Like 12

Nice choice! You've certainly picked a rare bird Dave and regardless of which path you go with this kit I'm sure it'll generate a lot of interest :) 

Well, since my amazing missus has just bought me the two main kits I always wanted as a kid (namely the Airfix 1/24 P51 and FW190 - both in the inital release boxes), nostalgia has won so I am building this straight from the box as I would have done as a child. That said, I will endeavour to build it properly, not in about 30 mins with a bit of paint splashed randomly here and there...

It all begins tomorrow.

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 4

As I said, I have not modded the cockpit but have tried to differentiate the seat from the bulkhead with paint, and some representation of panels on the side consoles. I don't normally use the pilot figures, but due to lack of detail have done so on this occasion. I still need to put an ejection handle on it but that can wait for another day. I was hoping to do more but life has a habit of getting in the way...

IMG_20170205_185234_zpsbvokiolr.jpg

• Like 7

It is a pity there isn't a modern tooling of the G-91 in either 72nd or 48th scale and a somewhat strange omission from many manufacturers catalogues given the number of more esoteric subjects which have been kitted recently. Hopefully someone will fill that gap soon.

On 6 februari 2017 at 7:52 PM, Col. said:

It is a pity there isn't a modern tooling of the G-91 in either 72nd or 48th scale and a somewhat strange omission from many manufacturers catalogues given the number of more esoteric subjects which have been kitted recently. Hopefully someone will fill that gap soon.

Ehhhh, yes there is. Well at least in 1/72 nd scale. 

Here is a link. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have spent the last day trying to rub down the fuselage seam line as there was a massive step in both the upper and lower halves. It does look better but I have lost some of the surface detail which I will attempt to recreate with panel line shading (never tried it before so it may be a disaster). Whilst I said I wasn't going to mod the kit at all, I will eat my words a little as I can't live with them as they are (see below). I am going to drill them out and fit some plastic tubing to make them a little better. Standby for swearing and plastic being flung against the wall when this goes wrong....

IMG_20170209_181405_zpsso3v8vdl.jpg

• Like 3

On 8-2-2017 at 5:42 PM, Arniec said:

Ehhhh, yes there is. Well at least in 1/72 nd scale. 

Mengs kit is a G.91R - not the substantially different (the number of engines, for starters) G.91Y. 

Cheers,

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Apologies for the break in updates, work and the house extension have gotten in the way somewhat. I have been getting on with it a bit, not least of which has been sorting out the nose:

IMG_20170212_152112_zpsnlpfrpqk.jpg

As you can see, there was a hell of a step. That has now been rubbed down, jet pipes drilled out and filler liberally applied. Still some way to go but it has been good fun so far.

IMG_20170226_153027_zpsduwjhnkq.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well we are now primed ready for painting. I tried to preshade the panel lines but couldn't set it up on my airbrush so it is going to have to be a "factory fresh" finish. I am hopeless at masking canopies too (unless it is a pre cut set) so will hand paint it later.

IMG_20170307_190617_zpsqqytzzmj.jpg

• Like 7