Airfix Old Blenheim - Finished

AdrianMF

Thanks all. It has now been daubed with a nice thick coat of Humbrol 78!

22 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

I try to recall what I did for it.

I'm not currently planning to do anything much to the fuselage, but I will take a look at the wingtips when I add some lights. Wheels up for me on this one. The fin/rudder will get a severe re-shaping, and I will be stealing your idea of sandwiching it around some plastic card to beef it up some as I do so.

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

The Free French markings seemed very alternative and exotic then

This will indeed be in Free French markings as per the box art - I have the decals from this kit and some MPM ones too, so I have choices. I'm also toying with the idea of opening the bomb bay and having some bombs falling out. I now regret using the left-over open doors from the new Blenheim as oil tanks when I was doing the Frog Blenheim!

I may look for a grey/green or TSS scheme when I do the MPM kit.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I strenuously deny that any "chubby chasing" is taking place! On another forum he has been nicknamed "Archie", which is how I think of him. Like Doctor Who, the Airfix pilots have regenerated over the years, and kits have been often updated with newer pilots. I reckon he's the third generation. from mid sixties onwards. He's my favourite of them all, and it's possible to carve the arms off and re-position him quite easily. The blobby face of recent remoulds is possibly down to the softer plastic and its inability to produce a really sharp cast of the fine face detail at the pressures they use. The Tiger Moth/Typhoon pilot is a step back IMHO, being a bit featureless overall and a bit thin, but now that kits have scale seats instead of benches or pins the pilots have to fit into seats that are scale width on the outside and narrower-than-scale on the inside because of the minimum thickness of plastic. With a scratch built seat the sides are 10 thou not 40 thou, so you get 1.5mm extra width, or 4 inches in real life.

I ended up using a Lindberg pilot because his feet reached the pedals and I wanted to keep my stock of nice sharply-moulded Archies.

Regards,

Adrian

Great info, thanks Adrian.

'Archie' - I like it :)

Like you I'm jealous of my sharply-moulded ones and I'm attempting to mold some copies - with little success, but I will keep practicing!

Cut off the arms... now there's a top tip!

• Like 1

Hello All,

plodding on on with my less-chubby Lindbergh pilot... paint on:

IMG_3498.jpg

And a view of the instruments. They will look good enough through the canopy!

IMG_3500.jpg

Note the enclosure for the turret and the use of more spare new Airfix parts.

And Mr Lindbergh in a desert-type shirt that matches the box art:

IMG_3503.jpg

i don't think I can use "man in a sleeping bag" because the bomb sight seems to be higher. So I will re-think.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 14

I'm in too, as I love these cool "old" classic kits, they take me back to my childhood, and It's always Great fun for me to See one built!   But the lowest Point in Airfix boxart had to be the Period when they just Took a picture of the Build up thing standing on some Kind of Plan/blueprint ? 🤔Watching your Build with interest, Great Start with the Cockpit btw  ! Thanks for sharing, Olli

• Like 1

Well I've sorted the bomb aimer. I put his seat back down and moved him so he is kneeling over the seat. It should all work now, with a bit more trimming and filling. It was cramped in there!

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 14

Mr. Lindbergh is rather excellent Adrian, he looks like he means business! Very nicely painted.

Clever stuff with the bomb aimer, I would never have though of cutting and moving the legs like that :thumbsup2: .

TonyT

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

The thickness of the fuselage plastic certainly doesn't help with getting things to fit!

Thanks Ian. Actually, it's the thickness of the fuselage side PLUS the extra port side from left over bits from the modern kit. More thinning required next time I think.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

And finally we have Pierre, the upper gunner, a recent recruit from Boite d'Allumettes. He used to chase girls like Maureen all the time but, since an incident with a sanding stick while fitting him around the upper turret stanchion, he seems to have lost all interest...

IMG_3514.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 12

And just what was wrong with the cockpit as Mr Airfix provided it?  Answers on a postcard to....

I seem to remember le viseur de bombe from the B29 looking rather like yours, before you 'adjusted' his position.

• Like 1