Airfix Old Blenheim - Finished

AdrianMF

Well, I like it!

Great to see this old dear get a make-over. One of life's pleasures, for me anyway, is to see what can be done with an 'older' model.

Christian, exiled to africa

• Like 1

I'd say too dark rather than too blue. It's more characteristic of the BS381C-104 Azure Blue or the "closest FS match" FS35231 than Ministry of Aircraft Production Azure Blue?

20161220_203737_zpsmsuq22eo.jpg

20160627_201948_zpsnreuiny3.jpg

Almost closer to Light Mediterranean Blue than MAP Azure Blue?

20160906_194805_zpsxeot2k6b.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks Jamie!

I will be adjusting my colour accordingly and doing another coat. I've only done the colour once before, on a Kittyhawk that I thought was a bit on the light side:

cf4fada8-64ef-4515-a3c1-c19f4bca0fa7_zps

... but maybe it was closer to the proper colour than I thought. Looking at the Blenheim next to this, I see a lot more white in my future!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 6

Well I got to this using a ratio of 10xHu34 to 1xHu25:

IMG_3614.jpg

In real life the colour looks spot on to match the Azure Blue sample in Jamie's last picture above (and Roy Cross's box art!), and only a shade darker than the P40. In the iPhone picture, however, it looks much bluer. If I apply a "transfer" or "instant" filter to the picture, the colour looks much less vibrant and matches the P40 underside almost exactly.

Here's the same photo converted to monochrome so you can see that the shades are very close.

IMG_3615.jpg

So I think the acrylic blue is much stronger than the enamel blue that I used on the P40 and is specified in the IPMS Stockholm guide, and that the camera is slightly distorting the result. So I'm going to call it good but I will be on the lookout for a pre-mixed tin next time I visit a model show!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I will be on the lookout for a pre-mixed tin next time I visit a model show!

Other than the newer of the two Colourcoats Azure Blues, I understand that the Humbrol one is good (if it has a Union flag on the tin).

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

this last blue looks good to me, not that you should pay any attention to what I say, when it comes to RAF paint colors. And the model is smashing, considering its lineage.

So congrats are in order.

JR

• Like 1

Looking real good, Adrian. Just a wee note: the prop hubs should be painted black, like the prop blades. The only Blenheims I've ever seen with unpainted hubs were some Mk.V's. Mk.I's and IV's all had them black.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

this last blue looks good to me, not that you should pay any attention to what I say, when it comes to RAF paint colors. And the model is smashing, considering its lineage.

Thanks. Well, it is going to be (Free) French!

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Looking real good, Adrian. Just a wee note: the prop hubs should be painted black, like the prop blades.

A quick scan of photos, ignoring all the models with silver hubs, shows that this is the case. Thanks! And I thought I'd done so well by painting the crankcase black...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Hello again,

I turned my attention back to the topsides:

IMG_3617.jpg

Brown is Humbrol 29 Dark Earth with sponging and dry brushing of Revell 82 Dark Earth and Humbrol 26 and 110 over the top. Sand is Humbrol 93 with dry brushed 94 over it. The whole thing is brought together with an overall light dry brush of Revell 89 Beige. 

I have yet yet to see it in daylight so I will reserve judgement until then.

Next up is cockpit framing, painting hubs black,

decals and more weathering. Then I can add the final bits and varnish it.

Off to Wales for the weekend so that's where it stays for a few days...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Jaffajake said:

Xtracrylix do an Azure Blue that's bang on the money.

42 minutes ago, Ed Russell said:

I think your P-40 was pretty much right.

I think one more go of painting the underside is in order :( I keep trying to tell myself it's OK...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I think one more go of painting the underside is in order :( I keep trying to tell myself it's OK...

Regards,

Adrian

If you're happy with what you've got then leave it at that. If you're having fun then that's all that matters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaffajake said:

happy with what you've got

It's bugging me, seeing as how I got it right before more or less by accident. I've just ordered some Vallejo Air 71108 so when that comes I can decide whether to bother or not :) 

There again, it's not going to be hanging from the ceiling, so I won't see it that often...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2