Xtradecals - cracking up!

Blacktjet

Has anyone else had experience of the latest Xtradecals cracking up? I've had problems with a couple of RAF update sheets where some of the decals have broken into several parts either while sliding off the paper backing or whilst positioning once on the model. One sheet in particular, I had problems with several items on the sheet but the same items on a second sheet were no problem at all. The most frustrating was the Be.2 decal on the 2 squadron anniversary Tornado, one side broke into several pieces while still on the paper and the other side, the blue section of the rudder broke away from the white section while positioning the decal - a clean colour divide, then when I tried to move the the portion that had broken away, it shattered into several pieces.

I think this is a case of the producers striving hard for thinness and overcooking it a little. Many might cope with the difficulties which this poses during application but, equally, many will not and I say this from experience having lost a few over the years. Fantasy Printshop print also produce commendably thin decals too and I got caught with some of them breaking up and/or folding a couple of times. 

As Stu (above) suggests, a coat of varnish before starting sorts it.

Concluding, I feel that we could cope with thicker decals couldn't we? At least the wastage would be less. Modeldecals had it about right, never had a problem with them. I'd get on to Hannants about it, they are enthusiastic on behalf of us modellers and would take action where necessary I'm sure. 

Nige B

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, viscount806x said:

I think this is a case of the producers striving hard for thinness and overcooking it a little. Many might cope with the difficulties which this poses during application but, equally, many will not and I say this from experience having lost a few over the years. Fantasy Printshop print also produce commendably thin decals too and I got caught with some of them breaking up and/or folding a couple of times. 

As Stu (above) suggests, a coat of varnish before starting sorts it.

Concluding, I feel that we could cope with thicker decals couldn't we? At least the wastage would be less. Modeldecals had it about right, never had a problem with them. I'd get on to Hannants about it, they are enthusiastic on behalf of us modellers and would take action where necessary I'm sure. 

Nige B

Believe me when I say this: Getting the decal to be thin AND flexible enough to conform down and into detail without curling up or breaking up is a fine art when it comes to decal production. Decal thickness is also down to the number of layers of ink put down ( i.e. the complexity of the design, whether theres a double layer of white to increase opacity, etc etc).

I'd still maintain its likely to be a duff sheet - if they break up its a lack of the top clear layer carrier that holds the decal together.

cheers

Jonners

1 hour ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

I'd still maintain its likely to be a duff sheet - if they break up its a lack of the top clear layer carrier that holds the decal together.

cheers

Jonners

I agree that it is most likely a duff sheet but it does seem to be quite common and at £9 a sheet, it shouldn't happen at all. Maybe Microscale in their pursuit of producing thinner decals, they have become too delicate.