The new 1/48 tamiya Ki-61 Tony, any opinions?

Spitfires Forever

On 02.03.2017. at 6:38 PM, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

One thing I have noted is the Hasegawa Tei fuselage is shorter than the Tamiya one by a few noticeable millimetres at the front. Im assuming Hasegawa didn't retool the fuselage for the TEI to allow for the longer  cannon nose?

Jonners

Jonners,

I only have the Hasegawa Hei (JT87) and it's about 6,5 mm shorter than the Tamiya Tei. It should be 4,16 mm in 1/48 scale or 200 mm in real life.

A check on hlj.com gives stated length (presumably from dimensions on the kit box) of Hasegawa Tei to be 186 mm compared to Tamiya's 187 mm.

According to FAOW 98 on Ki-61, Tei length is 8940 mm or 186,25 mm in scale. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Vedran

On 02/03/2017 at 17:38, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

One thing I have noted is the Hasegawa Tei fuselage is shorter than the Tamiya one by a few noticeable millimetres at the front. Im assuming Hasegawa didn't retool the fuselage for the TEI to allow for the longer  cannon nose?

Jonners

Hi Jonners

it  may depend on the boxing ....(blinkin' hase)  as the below says they did a shorter fuselage...  I have a few Ki-61's stashed but not accessible to check....but from the very useful tables here

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48a.htm

HASEGAWA 1/48 KAWASAKI Ki 61 I HIEN “TONY”

none

Ki 61 I

Tei ‘56th Flight Regiment Mainland Defense’

A,B,C,D,E,F

JT87

Ki 61 I

Hei Hien (Tony)

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,Q

JT12

Ki 61 I KAI

Type 3 Fighter Hien (Tony)

A,B,C,D,E,F

JT14

Ki 61 I KAI

‘244th Fighter Group’

A,B,C,D,E,F

JT105

Ki 61 I KAI

‘Mainland Defense’

A,B,C,D,E,F

none

Ki 61 I KAI

‘18th Flight Training Unit’

A,B,C,D,E,F

none

Ki 61 I KAI

‘56th Fighter Group’

A,B,C,D,E,F

none

Ki 61 I

Koh/Otsu Hien (Tony)

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,R

none

Ki 61 I

Hei ‘244th Flight Regiment’

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,Q

none

Ki 61 I

Koh ‘68th Flight Regiment’

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,R,Q

none

Ki 61 I

Koh/Otsu ‘244th Flight Regiment’

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,R

none

Ki 61 I

Tei Hien ‘55th Flight Regiment’

A,B,C,D,E,F

none

Ki 61 I

Tei Hien ‘244th Flight Regt No. 62’

A,B,C,D,E,F

SP253

Ki 61 I KAI

‘244th Flight Regiment’

A,B,C,D,E,F, UR*

SA 4

Ki 61 I KAI

‘244th Fighter Group’ w/resin crew

A,B,C,D,E,F, UR

tbd

Ki 61 I

Model 1 ‘Shidenkai no Maki’

Ad,Bd,C,D,E,M,N,Q

Kawasaki Ki 61 Hien ‘Tony’ Letter Descriptions:

A

18 parts, longer left fuselage, main wheels, radiator grilles, other details

Ad

20 parts, shorter left fuselage, main wheels, radiator grilles, tailwheel doors, other details

B

12 parts, longer right fuselage, propeller blades, upper nose, other details

Bd

13 parts, shorter right fuselage, propeller blades, upper nose, tailwheel insert, other details

C

20 parts, horizontal stabilizers, spinner, main gear struts, pylons, other details

D

6 parts, upper wings, drop tank, nose cannon barrels

E

5 parts, lower wing, drop tank, antenna mast, pitot tube

F

3 clear parts, canopy, gun sight, landing light cover

UR

7 parts, Jaguar resin pilot and mechanic

UR*

4 parts, resin pilot figure (Capt. Teruhiko Kobayashi)

M

6 parts, canopy, gunsight, running lights

N

3 parts, fixed tailwheel, nose machine gun barrels

Q

4 parts, Ki 61 I Hei wing cannon barrels and breech bulges

R

2 parts, Ki 61 I Koh or Otsu wing machine gun breech bulges

Ki 61 I KAI : The original series of kits all include identical plastic parts with different decals, these include 09112, 09114, 09165, 09372, 09412, 09806, and 09939.  52504 is the 244th Sentai boxing with addition of a Jaguar resin pilot and mechanic.  51953 also includes a resin figure of Capt. Teruhiko Kobayashi.  Trees C, D, E, and F are also used in the Ki100 kits.  All of the earlier kits correctly build the later Ki 61 I KAI c (Hei) or Ki 61 I KAI d (Tei), which had a slightly longer nose forward of the cockpit and wing, and a fixed tail wheel; c and d armament differed. 

Ki 61 I : The newest kits listed will build the earlier Ki61 I models with shorter fuselage and retracting tailwheel.  09087 and 09654, and 64718 build the Ki 61 I c (Hei) with German Mauser MG 151/20 cannon added to the wings.  09613 and 09744 build the earlier and more common Ki 61 I a (Koh) or Ki 61 I b (Otsu) with wing machine guns.  09670 includes the parts to build a Ki 61 Ia, Ib, or Ic.

NEED INFO: None.

HTH

T

Hi all. I have Hasegawa Boxing 09372, which is titled "Kawasaki Ki61-1 TEI '18th Flight training unit'"  This has the fuselage sprues A & B.

The Hasegawa instruction additional sheet for the boxing clearly references the Ho-5 20mm cannon parts to go in the nose gun toughs, so there's no doubt in my mind it is meant to be the same model as the Tamiya kit.

Here's the length difference i was talking about, with the Hasegawa being the shorter. I've used the rudder hinge line as the starting point for these measurements - and everything else seems to line up, the extra length in the Tamiya kit being in the nose, forward of the wing leading edge

This works out as approx 5 inches ( 127mm) shorter in 1/48th scale. And as you can see in the photos it is noticeable

0C1C948C-5058-4F26-9669-C9510112BB0D_zps

55327D7F-131C-4B2D-84F3-0CD4461035F1_zps

EDAD2696-BC11-49C4-A021-AE2306E4E75F_zps

So the question is, I suppose, what gives?

Jonners

Jon, the length you indicated should be 163mm in 1/48th scale. Please let us know how Tamiya and Hasegawa compare to this.

This dimension is derived from my own scale drawings, which I produced for Nicholas Millman's "Ki-61 and Ki-100 Aces" by Osprey Publishing.

NB. The short-fuselage models are 200mm shorter in real-life, thus 4mm less in 1/48th scale.

Edited by Skyraider3D
  • Like 2

Hi, Jonners,

Looks like it is just a "shorter nose than should be" case. Common in Hasegawa kits?

The nose extension in real Hiens is very visible in the distance between the wing's leading edge and the rearmost exhaust stack. The Hase fuselage you have clearly depicts the long nose. There are other boxings with the proper short nose fuselage.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Jonners,

Looks like it is just a "shorter nose than should be" case. Common in Hasegawa kits?

The nose extension in real Hiens is very visible in the distance between the wing's leading edge and the rearmost exhaust stack. The Hase fuselage you have clearly depicts the long nose. There are other boxings with the proper short nose fuselage.

Fernando

Hi Fernando - that's kind off what I was starting to think - Only thing I haven't checked is whether the rudder (& spinner) on the Tamiya kit is longer than the Hasegawa - which would make overall length longer - perhaps up the 4mm mentioned in 'Spad' 3D's post above

I have to say the sense of satisfaction when one clicks together the Tamiya parts is a lovely feeling. It's like a massage for the modelling soul!

Jonners

• 2 weeks later...

A note to say that this kit almost builds itself - and having purchased Nick Millman's excellent Ki-61 & Ki-100 aces book -I've plenty of background info to go with it too.

I've got some MYK decals on order ( well back order) from HLJ so will probably go for a scheme that isn't 244th Sentai, as tempting though it is - as that for me is a "defining" Ki-61 scheme

I've also dragged the old Arii Ki-100 out of the store to see what can be done with that....

Jonners

• 1 year later...

Original: 894cm  overall length

1/48: 18.625 cm

Hasegawa  (Tei): 18.52 cm

Tamiya (Tei): 19.46 cm

From my view typical for the Tamiya design approach to overstress certain items .

I only came now around this because I could shot the RS Ki-61 II from for only € 20 at the IPMS Berlin/Gatow show last weekend and went to compare different kits of the Ki-61. The owner of RS stated that his Ki-61 II kits were once designed for the Hasegawa JT line but not telling by whom and how he got the design.  Finesse of the RS kit and parts breakdown confirm this story although some compromises were made due to the short run technology-

Andreas Beck