Takom Mark V Male Tank

Hey guys,

Welp, 2016 was some year, ended up doing GCSEs, not getting any modelling done over summer and then straight out of the frying pan and into the fire that is Sixth Form...

With this in mind I have managed to have around 4 projects on the go, with this one being started in the November and well finished right about now-ish...

It's Takom's Mark V Male (or female) tank and I must say, the detail's a beaut. However its sorta ruined by overly large and thick sprue gates which means you end up lobbing the detail off or spend an age trying to get it off intact. Apart from this the kit is a fun, challenging build with some weird stages where you have to mangle an interior wall to make it a mark V - every little helps i guess. There's also the part when you have to do around 20 too many road wheels that wont be seen that much and two very repetitive sponsons. One bit I did find equally find fun and stressful was this little stowage rack at the back between the horns (which I've neglected to photo) where a length of chain no bigger than a fine necklace example has to have a link the size of a sesame seed wrapped round a bit of plastic, then a bit of photo etch on the other end wrapped to the stowage rack. Good times..

For painting I used tamiya acrylics mixed to a ratio i found in the back of their Cromwell instruction manual and it fitted the 'moss green' takom suggested pretty well. On this went a near disastrous first attempt at post-shading followed with wash upon wash & filter of thinned down raw umber oil paint. The entire thing was then stripped back with a good drybrushing of the base colour lightened with khaki (also tamiya). From this I began chipping (with the colour i used for drybrushing) filled in with Humbrol's metal cote 'Gunmetal' which did the trick quite nicely I think. Upon this I was curious as to apply a matte coat but did so anyway with Xtracolour's enamel. Then with lighter chipping I went back in with gunmetal this time on a sponge around hatches etc. After which i went in there with a graphite stick and did the rest.

Tracks were the good quality clip together variant and I painted them Tamiya NATO Black then washed back with raw umber and finished with AK Interactive's 'European Earth' Pigment. Of which I rubbed it back in places with cotton buds only to attack it with graphite sticks once more.

I know I may of forgotten the unditching beam, i know, but I couldn't quite face the dreaded chains again so let's just assume that the crew lost it somewhere and are currently off on a recce to nick a railway sleeper nearby as a substitute (which was how they came about in the first place).

photo 100_7223_zpsc7gi2hkd.jpg

photo 100_7221_zpsyhdovl1s.jpg

photo 100_7220_zps4dfigwmc.jpg

photo 100_7218_zpslyokknol.jpg

photo 100_7215_zpszp1qflcz.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Sam

• Like 16

What a really beautiful model,...great stuff and I can fully appreciate how busy you are academically, my son is in his 2nd year of 6th Form and getting ready for his A Levels,...... 

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1