Airfix Ju-88

Martian

The Martian has repeatedly assured us that this will be a OOB build (except a bit of eduard cockpit).

So, who wants to place a bet to see how long it will be before he "tweaks" something? :ner:

But there is something pleasing about revisiting old kits from childhood/youth/as far back as memory lasts.

• Like 4

I will side shamelessly with Bigdave! No need to be a multi-fangled shrink to know that Martian has already put one pudgy finger into the works.

It always starts with: "I will only re-scribe the kit, and cross my heart, nothing else" , and 25 pages later, there we all are watching the Man making a cigarette-lighter and the plane ignition key, or something even smaller in 1/72!

Plus ca change....

Looking forward to watch the multiple avatars of this Ju 88!

Have a lot of fun

JR

• Like 5

I will side shamelessly with Bigdave! No need to be a multi-fangled shrink to know that Martian has already put one pudgy finger into the works.

It always starts with: "I will only re-scribe the kit, and cross my heart, nothing else" , and 25 pages later, there we all are watching the Man making a cigarette-lighter and the plane ignition key, or something even smaller in 1/72!

Plus ca change....

Looking forward to watch the multiple avatars of this Ju 88!

Have a lot of fun

JR

Well, re-scribing has been done on the fuselage and a dry fit indicates that the only tweaking needed will be a bit of tidying up on the inside walls of the cockpit.

Martian

Well, a start has been made, albeit a small one. The fuselage has now been re-scribed and the cockpit rear bulkhead and floor glued together. These have been offered up to the fuselage halves and a couple of issues have presented themselves. The depressions where the mouldings for the wing roots are, are quite prominent and will clearly need filling and the position Airfix would have you cement the control column in place will cause it to foul the instrument panel. No big deal here, I will just move it back a bit. I have also cleaned up the cockpit walls ready to receive such detail parts as will fit from the Eduard set. It looks like some of the radio parts and the instrument panel will fit without too much hassle. To fit the pilot's consul would involve quite a bit of rebuilding of the interior so, in the spirit of this build, I will probably pass on that one. A dry fit of the nose glazing shows a passable fit. I do have a Falcon vacform replacement somewhere but have no idea where it might be so it looks like the kit item will have to do.

I have decided to re-scribe the model in stages as I hate this process and don't want to kill my interest in the build right at the start.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of such progress as I have made thus far.

Thanks for looking

Martian 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 18

Thanks Roger, once I have cleaned up the cockpit side walls, progress should be quite quick. Well, quick for me that is!

Martian

Martian does plastic age? Does an older kit's plastic get more brittle with age? I realize that the quality of the styrene varies from manufacture to manufacture but does old plastic work differently than new?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looks good, very nice scribing! 

Thanks, I do hate the job though. Having said that a re-scribe and sanding does transform these old kits.

37 minutes ago, Sprueloose said:

Martian does plastic age? Does an older kit's plastic get more brittle with age? I realize that the quality of the styrene varies from manufacture to manufacture but does old plastic work differently than new?

Just wondering.

It may do but I can't say that I personally have ever experienced the problem. This kit must be getting on for fifty years old and the plastic is behaving just fine.

Martian

The one time I've tried scribing panel lines was on an old Airfix skyraider kit a couple of months back, looked like the track plan at Waterloo station once I'd done with it :( . More practice needed, obviously!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- This old Airfix kit leads me so many years back......I cannot remember how many I've built;...... I will follow your work with great interest........

Welcome aboard! I have some grinding to do this afternoon to tidy up the inserts for the wing roots and the the interminable wait for Milliput to dry.

Martian

As promised, we have an update on this build this evening. Much of the past few days has been spent trying to smooth out the interior walls of the cockpit and get a decent fit bot inside and out of the gondola part of the kit. The fit was OK for an eight year old child when I last build this kit but clearly not good enough for this august assembly. Te fit of the fuselage halves themselves was rather good requiring only a few spots of Mr Dissolved Putty.

I spent a relaxed couple of hours this afternoon adding some very basic structure to the cockpit and a few scraps of plastic card to bulk out the Eduard parts that will be getting added to interior.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 15

Only just found this - obviously I am not alone in being in that age group that remembers this kit when it was released........

You are making a first class job of the improvements - the kind of things that we never knew about when we built them in the 1960's! This is a trip down memory lane too - when I was older in the early 1970's one of my first conversions was one of these into a Mistel combination with a 109 - also Airfix.

• Like 1

Thanks Phoenix, the improvements will be limited as I don't want to stray too far from the nostalgic aspect of the build and seeing if the kit can still be as much fun as I remember it.

Martian

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Yes that cockpit should look busy enough with the eduard bits and the canopy on  ,nice improvement

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. I tend to agree with you especially as the clear parts in the kit are on the thick side. I would like to be able to find my Falcon vacform parts but things are still settling down after the great house refurbishment.

Martian

• Like 1