Airfix Ju-88

Martian

Following a discussion of the merits or otherwise, of the old Airfix Junkers Ju-88 kit on the WWII section of the forums, here:

I said that not only did I remember this kit fondly from my childhood but was very tempted to build the kit again for fun in this, my second childhood. Time methinks to put my money where my mouth is! This will be a build purely for fun and I will be making no effort to correct the kit's inaccuracies, just a straightforward build with just a small amount of detailing. The kit transfers have long since shuffled off this mortal coil so a replacement set for a Spanish example have been sourced from Kora. I plan to add such of an Eduard cockpit set that can be persuaded to fit without over much hassle and a replacement set of wheels. I have a load of 1/72 detail parts in the loft that were left to me by a deceased friend and I may see whether there is anything there of use but I don't really want this to get over complicated as I want to see if the kit can be as much fun as I remember. Anyway, on to the pictures...................

Box top artwork:

image.jpg

Proper old style instructions:

image.jpg

New transfer sheet (note, none of that modern decal nonsense!)

image.jpg

There will now be a short intermission while I give the kit a quick re-scribe as the kit's raised detail is never going to survive the build.

Thanks for looking

Martian

• Like 24

6 minutes ago, Hewy said:

You find rescribing fun eh. I'd definitely not describe it as fun, i too remember this kit fondly so ill keep an eye on this and see if it jogs any memories, 

Glynn

No. I definitely didn't say I find re-scribing fun, sadly though it is necessary in this case as filling and sanding will destroy the kit's raised detail anyway.

Martian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Re-scribing, photoetch, extra detail parts...sounds like a normal Martian build to me!  Pulling up a chair...    :) 

Cheers,

Bill

No Bill there will be no opening up of anything on this one. I am determined to keep it simple (famous last words!).

3 hours ago, phildagreek said:

I remember this kit, an addition to my bedroom ceiling air show.

Pretty much what I did with mine.

Martian

• Like 1

I'll come along too if you don't mind Martian B)

Great box art there - interesting to see no swastika even back then, I didn't realise they were being omitted so long ago... :hmmm:

Hope you have a pleasant build - at least once you have finished re-scribing anyway :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Have fun! I found even the old Frog kit to be more tempting build than this... But I´ve seen beautiful models produced from this! Ask if any of the fellow BM:ers would have the Zvezda A-4 lower cowlings left over from an A-5 build, that´d be an easy way to update the Airfix kit to correct subtype.

Oh, and the boxart is truly great. I´ve seen a vignette with this kit and Airfix Tribal class destroyer built to resemble it. Regards, V-P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phildagreek said:

I remember this kit, an addition to my bedroom ceiling air show.

I did this as well, I thought it was compulsory to hang Airfix aircraft from a bedroom ceiling in the 1970's. The boxes used to come with some cotton thread and a drawing pin, 2 pins for the bigger aircraft. I also built this, but my one had numerous bullet holes in it when my brother discovered the fun he could have with a heated darning needle,

Andy

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I want to see if the kit can be as much fun as I remember...................

Life was fun back in those days...I'm not sure this kit was!  We didn't know any different though did we ? I reckon it must be about 45 years since I last glued the parts in this particular box together. Anyway, looking in with interest.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'll come along too if you don't mind Martian B)

Great box art there - interesting to see no swastika even back then, I didn't realise they were being omitted so long ago... :hmmm:

Hope you have a pleasant build - at least once you have finished re-scribing anyway :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew, I will be thinking of you when I am doing the re-scribing. Well, wishing it was you doing the re-scribing rather than me anyway!

5 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

I did this as well, I thought it was compulsory to hang Airfix aircraft from a bedroom ceiling in the 1970's. The boxes used to come with some cotton thread and a drawing pin, 2 pins for the bigger aircraft. I also built this, but my one had numerous bullet holes in it when my brother discovered the fun he could have with a heated darning needle,

Andy

I used to do the heated needle technique for battle damage effects as well

5 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice bit of nostalgia for me too Martian. I'll follow along if I may :popcorn: 

Certainly CedB the more the merrier!

4 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

Life was fun back in those days...I'm not sure this kit was!  We didn't know any different though did we ? I reckon it must be about 45 years since I last glued the parts in this particular box together. Anyway, looking in with interest.. 

Well. there is always a very good chance that I will end up with egg all over my face with this build as memories can dim and it is a very similar amount of time since I did this kit. I do remember being very impressed for the amount of plastic I got for my pocket money though.

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Have fun! I found even the old Frog kit to be more tempting build than this... But I´ve seen beautiful models produced from this! Ask if any of the fellow BM:ers would have the Zvezda A-4 lower cowlings left over from an A-5 build, that´d be an easy way to update the Airfix kit to correct subtype.

Oh, and the boxart is truly great. I´ve seen a vignette with this kit and Airfix Tribal class destroyer built to resemble it. Regards, V-P

Thanks for the tip although on this occasion I think it would be going against the spirit of this build as well as with my well known weakness for tampering with things, being the thin edge of the wedge!

I agree about the box art and for this build I have purposely gone out of my way to use the kit as I had it as a child. Who knows? but if this build goes well, I may do a series of these nostalgia type builds.

Off to get the scribers out now :banghead:

Martian

• Like 4

Go for it, Martian!

Like the Spanish idea.

Even though it means this one

won't have a nuclear power plant

or something equally daft.

(I still have a couple I built back then)

(I'd be the first to say they're a bit rough!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Go for it, Martian!

Like the Spanish idea.

Even though it means this one

won't have a nuclear power plant

or something equally daft.

Fret ye not Pete, something the size of a couple of breeze blocks was delivered to Martian Towers earlier today which, when started will keep your appetite for the insane sated for some considerable time!

Martian the Mysterious

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Colour me intrigued!

Patience Grasshopper all will be revealed. In the meantime you will just have to guess what it might be.

Martian

Blimey. First time I duck into his thread and that Martian is already toying with audience expectations. The size of two breeze blocks? Sounds like he's had 16 cans of lager delivered....

Tony

Ps.Love the idea of this build btw. I still recall making this with the very same box art when I was about 12.

• Like 1