1/48 Junglie Sea King HC.4 Commando

At Sea

I was thinking about projects for the future and wondered what was the best (cheapest) way to get a 1/48 HC.4 Sea King.

I have a Wessex HU.5 kit in stash and a Lynx HMA.8 with the backdate kit to make it an HAS.2.  Was thinking a Falklands war Helicopter display would be quite satisfying.

Would the Revell boxing of the SH-3H US Navy Sea King be a good starting point?  Is there any resin available to make the changes to the landing gear?

Has anyone got any plans to bring out a kit in the near future that I'm not aware of saving the whole expensive and messy business of 'making' an HC.4 from bits and bobs.  Airfix scaling up their 1/72 Junglie would be awesome!

Thanks. :-)

Believe it's designed for the Hasegawa/Revell kit. I've cobbled enough bits over the past few years to do an HMS Gannet Mk.5 and most of the stuff I intend to use is the Flightpath bits n bobs.

Eng

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is designed for the Hasegawa kit.  I am up to my knees in an HAS5 build, using the FlightPath conversion and a Hasegawa base kit, and I can confirm that it is superb.  I haven't had to use the sponsons or Sea Searcher radome, because I got a Hasegawa SAR boxing, but judging by the quality of the weapons carriers and tail rotor (which I have used, amongst other things), then I would use it to build a Mk4 with confidence.  It is really well done. 

Just as well, because it's your only choice, as far as I know!

I have a second one, also destined for a future Gannet cab.  You'd be welcome to any un-used Mk.4 parts from my two sets, if you'd like - PM me (though I am away for a fortnight from tomorrow morning, so don't panic if no reply for a bit).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2017 at 7:48 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It is designed for the Hasegawa kit.  I am up to my knees in an HAS5 build, using the FlightPath conversion and a Hasegawa base kit, and I can confirm that it is superb.  I haven't had to use the sponsons or Sea Searcher radome, because I got a Hasegawa SAR boxing, but judging by the quality of the weapons carriers and tail rotor (which I have used, amongst other things), then I would use it to build a Mk4 with confidence.  It is really well done. 

Just as well, because it's your only choice, as far as I know!

I have a second one, also destined for a future Gannet cab.  You'd be welcome to any un-used Mk.4 parts from my two sets, if you'd like - PM me (though I am away for a fortnight from tomorrow morning, so don't panic if no reply for a bit).

You absolute star!  Yes please!

There was also an Airwaves conversion set (ex-DB Models), but they are like the proverbial rocking horse poo, they also did separate sets for the open troop door, GPMG and mounting, sand filter box amongst others.

I am very surprised that Hannants have never re-released these sets. 

That being said you cannot go wrong with David Parkins Flightpath sets, the sheer number of photo etch parts is daunting at first but the instructions are excellent.

• Like 1