1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

I ended up going with the lemon yellow stencils, since that grouping on the decal sheet had the correct breakdown of yellow / white / pink / black stencils - in other words it best matched the photos I have of XH134.

The lemon yellow stencil decals are more visible than the golden yellow decals against the Hemp. Model Alliance state that the golden yellow was used on "early RAF PR" (DG/DSG/MSG) whilst the lemon yellow were used on "modern RAF PR" (HEMP/LAG) aircraft. The yellow stencils seen in the photographs are, in reality, in-between the lemon and golden yellow decals, but favouring lemon slightly. Go figure! The golden yellow decals are quite orange. 

In any event, the lemon yellow decals look really good on the model. Unfortunately the walkways are not the same shade of yellow, and it's noticeable. Too late for that now, I suppose, unless I find some yellow striping of the same colour and width somewhere...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

12 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Canberra_5383%202_zpsg4is5ma4.jpg

John

I wonder what publication the Nav is holding up to his window here, not the Zoo mag is it?!

Cracking shot, note the stiffener plate to the top left hand of the equipment bay hatch.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

I wonder what publication the Nav is holding up to his window here, not the Zoo mag is it?!

Cracking shot, note the stiffener plate to the top left hand of the equipment bay hatch.

James I've enlarged the image as much as I can but I can't make anything out. As well as the strengthening around the top edge of the equipment bay there is also a BDR patch above and to the left of the round camera window. I can't remember if it was 135 but someone stuck the fork of a fork lift truck through the side of one of the 9's!

John 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 7:32 PM, canberra kid said:

The colours do vary from engin to engin,

DSC_2183_zpsf4njxdgo.jpg

John

John.

The lad on the wing in denims and the guy in the Brown T-shirt with shades, do you know their names ?  Do me a favour and PM me if you do.  I deployed with the PRU a few times from Wyton in 90/91/92 and I and banging my head trying to think who they were.  

• Like 1

On 28/03/2017 at 4:22 PM, 71chally said:

Stumbled across this by accident, great footage of your Canberra being flung around the sky, including cockpit footage, from about 4.30 on

Hope it keeps the Canberra appetite up!

Battle of Brittan :rage:

• Like 2

That's enough stickers for now.

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Some things are not exactly right, but what the hey. She's still shiny, so she needs a flat varnish. There's not that much left to do, flaps, elevators, ailerons, tyres, gear doors, main canopy, a bunch of fiddly things stuck to the fuselage, aerial wire, etc. Maybe just a few more days?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Oh, right, the Zoo mag. How could I forget that?

• Like 18

8 hours ago, giemme said:

She's looking outrageously good!! :wow::worthy:  I think this is so far my fav of your models, or among the best ones anyway. :clap: 

Really? I was just thinking yesterday that it doesn't rank with my best work. What is it that they say? You are your own worst critic? Something like that...anyway, thank you muchly for the compliment.   :) 

26 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Lovely stuff Bill, great shading. If you haven't already thought of it remember to paint the very bottom of the 'tail bumper' black, just one of those small things that's easily overlooked, (trees and woods etc)

Thanks for reminding me about that! Done forgetted all about it. Duly added to the list...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Another wee job that can be easily overlooked, especially as they were painted at one stage, is the natural metal finish tail pipes.

Yup, that one is on my list, I just forgot to mention it. I plan on doing that soon. I was just looking through the box full of parts (I figure the model is done when there are none left) and I noticed that the front aerial post and the two small nacelle doors for the main landing gear are missing. Hmm. Can't imagine I would have thrown those out with the "empty sprues." Rats. More scratch-building ahead! Shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Oh dear Bill

Lovely as she is, there's a problem

You forgot to stick the nose on, you know the rounded pointy thing

:)

In truth I think its one of the finest Cranberries I've seen

Growler keep up, the paint along the main spars was removed in service to enable full and frequent inspection

Bill and some others mention this during his build, it was one of the fabulous hints and tips I've learned during this wonderful piece

The build was marvellous Bill but I am even more, far more impressed with these later, more artistic stages of it all

• Like 3

Wish there was a way to download an entire thread and turn it into a Word doc or PDF.  The info in this thread is just too good to lose and, sadly, photos do tend to disappear from online stores over time. 

Simply fantastic build of a beautiful aircraft.  I went through professional training at Wyton while the Tatty Ton, 39 Sqn and 360 Sqn were still around.  Happy days!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GROWLER said:

Interesting aircraft, excellent performance Bill! I did not understand a little, the wing spar You painted with silver paint?

Yeah, I think the paint was removed for ease of NDT (non-destructive testing). Eddy current maybe? Just a guess, but eddy current testing is a way to check the structural integrity of large metallic structures. Like wing spars, for example. 

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Oh dear Bill

Lovely as she is, there's a problem

You forgot to stick the nose on, you know the rounded pointy thing    :)

In truth I think its one of the finest Cranberries I've seen

Growler keep up, the paint along the main spars was removed in service to enable full and frequent inspection

Bill and some others mention this during his build, it was one of the fabulous hints and tips I've learned during this wonderful piece

The build was marvellous Bill but I am even more, far more impressed with these later, more artistic stages of it all

Arghh! I knew I forgot something - the nose! But really, "rounded pointy?" Is that like a square triangle?   :) 

Thanks for the compliments. One of the best things about WIP threads on a forum like BM is the wonderful advice you get from everyone. In this thread, @canberra kid and @71chally have been very helpful in educating me about Canberras, of which I knew very little. I could build a lot faster if I didn't spend so much time at the computer, but I wouldn't learn half as much.

2 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Wish there was a way to download an entire thread and turn it into a Word doc or PDF.  The info in this thread is just too good to lose and, sadly, photos do tend to disappear from online stores over time. 

Simply fantastic build of a beautiful aircraft.  I went through professional training at Wyton while the Tatty Ton, 39 Sqn and 360 Sqn were still around.  Happy days!

Thanks Mark. That would be nice, wouldn't it - a "print to PDF" button. I'm surprised the forum software developers haven't thought of that yet. Although it takes some time, good old copy and paste works well. I've done that several times when I've wanted to save a thread. As far as pictures disappearing, mine will stay until Photobucket goes out of business or I bite the big one. Hopefully that's a long time for either.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Mark. That would be nice, wouldn't it - a "print to PDF" button. I'm surprised the forum software developers haven't thought of that yet. Although it takes some time, good old copy and paste works well. I've done that several times when I've wanted to save a thread. As far as pictures disappearing, mine will stay until Photobucket goes out of business or I bite the big one. Hopefully that's a long time for either.

Amen brother!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GROWLER said:

Interesting aircraft, excellent performance Bill! I did not understand a little, the wing spar You painted with silver paint?

Yeah, I think the paint was removed for ease of NDT (non-destructive testing). Eddy current maybe? Just a guess, but eddy current testing is a way to check the structural integrity of large metallic structures. Like wing spars, for example. 

You're right Bill, it is for the  ultrasound and x-ray NDT with out digging out my PR.9 AP's I can't say at what frequency the tests were to be carried out but towards the end it must have been quite frequent. Just for interest, the following are, as you can see extracts from AAP on CAnberra NDT.

Ultra%20sound_zpstjdecy4h.jpg

Ulta%20sound2_zpsprmjiyj5.jpg

John 

• Like 5