1:72 English Electric Canberra PR.9 "End of an Era" - Finished!

Is the spar cap on the underside of the wing unpainted as well? Some photos it looks like it's not painted (looking like the top side) but in other photos it looks like the same colour as the underside.

A light wash was added to the wheel wells and flap bays.

IMG_1192

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

Well I joined this build at the start, but was unable to keep up with the build, so have just gone through the whole lot in a straight session, i'm in modelling overload now, most impressive build there Bill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, caseyjones said:

I thought I was the only person that like Eno and  Phil Manzanera.  I never really like Roxy Music, having said that I never really listened to Roxy Music.  I once wrote a letter to NASA to try and get the movie that went with " Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks" album.  NASA wrote back saying it was not for release to the general public.  I think my first ENO album was "Another Green World" and I can't remember why I bought it, I certainly didn't hear Eno on the radio.

The canberra looks great, too.

Stephen 

Funny old thing, someone has just given me a bluray of For All Mankind, most of the soundtrack appears on Enos' Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks album/CD.  

If you can, try and listen to some early Roxy album tracks, it might change your life!

I could talk about Eno etc all day, but guess this ain't the place really.

The underside bare spar cap is harder to make out, hope this shot helps,

EE_Canberra_PR9_XH134_(G-OMHD)_(93445150

You're Canberra looks darned peachy now though Bill!

• Like 3

Sorry, but this build has to go on hold for a bit.   :( 

I started the decals today, and the retirement scheme went on fine. However, the yellow stencils on the Airfix sheet have no white backing to them, and consequently when applied they disappear. Gone! Like I never applied them. Occasionally, one of them kinda sorta would look like something was there, but not really. Disappointing. Plus, the Airfix ejection seat triangles are 1:48 scale. Unfortunately, this is a 1:72 scale kit. 

The Xtrakit stencils, on the other hand, are all disintegrating. Basically, the clear film is separating so that all the little letters are free to roam around. And if you think I am going to apply the stencil letters one at a time, well, you're crazier than I am.   :)

The other Xtrakit decals, like the ejection seat triangles, seem fine. It's just the stencils.

I bought Model Alliance sheet 72146 as I read that it has the proper yellow walkway decals. And it does, I guess (although they seem a bit wide and maybe a bit bright to me) but there was only one problem - there weren't enough yellow stripes. I came up about 8-10 mm short of what was needed, so I had to piece the rest together from some spares that I've been hanging onto for several decades in anticipation of this very problem.

So, who makes Hemp-scheme PR.9 stencils that will show up on my model and won't disintegrate? The only thing I've seen that might work is the out-of-print Model Alliance sheet 729018. Anyone have a spare? The yellow stencils are very obvious on the real aircraft, and I'd like them to be visible on this model.

Here is where we'll be leaving off until I get a solution:

IMG_1193

IMG_1194

I'm off to my Curtiss XF15C-1 build for the Experimental and Prototype Group Build. It didn't have any stencils.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Sorry, but this build has to go on hold for a bit.   :( 

I started the decals today, and the retirement scheme went on fine. However, the yellow stencils on the Airfix sheet have no white backing to them, and consequently when applied they disappear. Gone! Like I never applied them. Occasionally, one of them kinda sorta would look like something was there, but not really. Disappointing. Plus, the Airfix ejection seat triangles are 1:48 scale. Unfortunately, this is a 1:72 scale kit. 

The Xtrakit stencils, on the other hand, are all disintegrating. Basically, the clear film is separating so that all the little letters are free to roam around. And if you think I am going to apply the stencil letters one at a time, well, you're crazier than I am.   :)

The other Xtrakit decals, like the ejection seat triangles, seem fine. It's just the stencils.

I bought Model Alliance sheet 72146 as I read that it has the proper yellow walkway decals. And it does, I guess (although they seem a bit wide and maybe a bit bright to me) but there was only one problem - there weren't enough yellow stripes. I came up about 8-10 mm short of what was needed, so I had to piece the rest together from some spares that I've been hanging onto for several decades in anticipation of this very problem.

So, who makes Hemp-scheme PR.9 stencils that will show up on my model and won't disintegrate? The only thing I've seen that might work is the out-of-print Model Alliance sheet 729018. Anyone have a spare? The yellow stencils are very obvious on the real aircraft, and I'd like them to be visible on this model.

Here is where we'll be leaving off until I get a solution:

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

I'm off to my Curtiss XF15C-1 build for the Experimental and Prototype Group Build. It didn't have any stencils.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Bill if you pm me your address I will post a model alians sheet to you ASAP, we can't have this girl staling at this stage, it wouldn't be right. She's looking fantastic! 

John

• Like 7

Isn't it always the way!  Everything that you have control of goes well, or can be corrected, only for a build to stall when you're the hands of bad parts or decals.

Hope this is resolved soon Bill, looking very nice now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Beautiful so far Bill and I'm sorry to hear about the stencils; I hope you source some suitable replacements.

Thanks, Ced. I'm sure this will get sorted out, Maybe even in the next post to this thread...

9 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Bill if you pm me your address I will post a model alians sheet to you ASAP, we can't have this girl staling at this stage, it wouldn't be right. She's looking fantastic! 

PM dutifully sent! Thanks for the offer and the compliment! 

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Isn't it always the way!  Everything that you have control of goes well, or can be corrected, only for a build to stall when you're the hands of bad parts or decals. Hope this is resolved soon Bill, looking very nice now.

I'm sure she will be finished soon. Honestly, I haven't had this situation occur too often and I've built hundreds of models over the years. I can only think of a few that I didn't finish eventually. One was the 1:32 Matchbox Sea Venom - I was building that right after it came out (1981?), and got to the point of applying the decals. The next morning, for some reason, the decals had lifted free of the surface and had rolled up on them selves. If you remember the shark's mouth and the drop tank decoration, this was a BIG problem. I was so mad I just binned the entire thing. Wish I had it back, although the Revell re-box probably has better plastic (and decals!)

But I'm older now, and I don't throw things anymore.   :) 

4 hours ago, SmashedGlass said:

RE your tonal variations: did you do that with the trusty airbrush this time, or your trusty pastels method?

All done with the airbrush. Paasche Model H, single action, external mix, with the #3 and #1 needles. My trusty companion since 1977. 

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

It is really coming to life with the transfers going on.

Well it was until Fate reared her head. But we'll put her back where she belongs.    :fight:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Sorry to hear of the decal disaster Bill, not what you expected or wanted but I am sure you will prevail. I have been reading this thread over a period of two days and I am blown away by the level of detail  incorporated into your build, along with the stalwarts of this site that offer invaluable guidance and information. It has been a sensory overload so we have come this far and my brain is jelly so it would be a shame for the build to stop now.

Damn fine work sir.

Gary.

• Like 2

I haven't stopped work completely, I've been busy painting the fiddly bits - tyres/wheels, landing gear doors, canopy, etc. I've also been applying the rest of the decals other than the stencils. Once the stencils arrive, it shouldn't take too long to finish her up.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

On 28/03/2017 at 8:08 PM, canberra kid said:

the following two photos appear to me to show the standard stencils in "golden yellow" but the rescue arrow in a brighter Lemon yellow? discuss.

I'd say it's an optical illusion created by the white outline and lettering which brightens the yellow compared to the plain yellow lettering on the (relatively) darker background.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

I'd say it's an optical illusion created by the white outline and lettering which brightens the yellow compared to the plain yellow lettering on the (relatively) darker background.

You could well be right Dave.

John

• Like 1

Yes me too, I am sure Dave is right about that

I printed lots of yellow stencils for the 'Three Jags' build I did but they disappeared against the Dark Camouflage Grey background on the fuselage but when printed they looked like the real things because of the white paper they were printed on

It is the darker background that loses the yellowness, made me give up on it in the end, it's why I have started trying to print a background colour for white or yellow items on my models

• Like 1